+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nanny work permit for own sister

sunshinecanada

Apr 9, 2019
Just raises concerns that the goal is getting immigration for the sister versus needing a nanny. You are not looking at after tax income. Over a 1/3 of their income would go for childcare for 1 child. I assume this has nothing to do with childcare and is a route to immigration. Childcare is expensive but most do try to find the most affordable option in order to potentially save money or allocate it to housing, transportation, etc. costs. You'll have to se what reply you get just warning you of these red flags.
Yes canuck, thanks. I know that if the employer is a relative, they are focused on helping the Employee to being a PR someday and not on the necessity of having a Nanny. I am fully aware of it, thank you. I still hope that an officer will approve.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes canuck, thanks. I know that if the employer is a relative, they are focused on helping the Employee to being a PR someday and not on the necessity of having a Nanny. I am fully aware of it, thank you. I still hope that an officer will approve.
Some families do actually need a nanny and hire someone else if the family member is not approved.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The IRCC will look at hiring a relative more closely, but people seem to forget that the CRA will also look upon the relationship with more scrutiny regarding insurable benefits, and EI deductions made for the employee by the employer aka the relative

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/payroll-deductions-contributions/employment-insurance-ei/hiring-a-family-member-a-related-person.html

If your sponsorship/LMIA gets approved I encourage you as well to file a CPT 1 with the CRA. On occasion when an employer is related to the employee you have to see if the work they will be performing is insurable in the eyes of the CRA/ESDC.
It is better to file the CPT 1, and get a ruling, versus any potential trust exams on the payroll account handled by the employer aka relative
In other words, all work is not considered equal
If it is not insurable, then they would not be eligible to claim any benefits under the EI scheme example, EI, Sickness, Maternity Leave

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/cpt1.html

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

lylytree

May 6, 2020
I understand the IRCC point of view Yes, the family can show their NOA as proof that the employer can pay the caregiver. Their income is at $110,000 I think, they have one child only, plus the employee's qualification is acceptable. Well, it is still at the hands of the officers. I heard some got approval and some were unfortunate to get positive result because of being related to each other.
Do you know the gross income assessment at $110k is required for one year of the most recent NOA, or CRA will look into the recent three years of NOA? Thank you.

Lisawu

Jun 11, 2020
Hi All,

I have nanny LMia,my sister is nurse back home. could i hire my sister as nanny and start her work permit process. Would it be an officer concern about giving job offer to own family member??
Hi Scylla, anything updated information for your sister's application? I have the same situation.

abdulqayyum

Dec 22, 2013
Hi guys,
May i know what is progress so far, we both me and my wife have $80k income last year, we want to sponsor a nanny from home country who is not our relative. how to get positive lmia. the lady we want to sponsor has simply done graduation and have no special exp or edu relevant to nanny. we have 2 children, pls advise what you learned in the process, should we try, is there any success chances, i talked with a consultant, he said my income is less, but still he can try and will charge $5000 as fee. Thanks you!

quami

Mar 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 Mar 2011
Nomination.....
Dec 2010
AOR Received.
28 Mar 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
23 June 2011
Med's Done....
04 July 2011
Passport Req..
22 Aug 2011
VISA ISSUED...
17 Oct 2011
LANDED..........
12 Nov 2011
Hi guys,
May i know what is progress so far, we both me and my wife have $80k income last year, we want to sponsor a nanny from home country who is not our relative. how to get positive lmia. the lady we want to sponsor has simply done graduation and have no special exp or edu relevant to nanny. we have 2 children, pls advise what you learned in the process, should we try, is there any success chances, i talked with a consultant, he said my income is less, but still he can try and will charge $5000 as fee. Thanks you!
For the current program, LMIA is no longer needed. The person you're trying to get needs her ECA and IELTS to be done to make sure she qualifies under the new program. Do your own research. Everything is in the IRCC website. It might save you $5000

Reactions: abdulqayyum

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
It doesn’t sound like the person would not qualify for the caregiver program. You also don’t make enough to qualify. The nanny’s pay would take almost half of your income. Don’t pay 5k especially since both you and your caregiver don’t met the qualifications.