+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name wrong on PR card

Foxxbbe

Oct 14, 2012
I had submitted the PR card renewal application form and Recently, I just received my renewal PR card, but it still remains the same name (married name) as my previous PR card. I am now so worried because my name on my Passport and PR card are not the name and I plan to travel again by the end of this year.

My questions is...

1. Was it the CIC's mistake? In this case I will submit "Request to Reissue a Permanent Resident Card" Application form ... or

2. Did CIC make it on purpose? I am not sure after I red the back of enclosed PR card letter, it said "The information on your PR card is taken from the information on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence or your Record of Landing Form (which it was using my marriage name)

3. Referring to the question no. 1, in the Guide 5530 - Request to reissue a PR card (IMM5530),
<quoted>
What information cannot be corrected with this application?

CIC will not reissue a card to modify information that:

changed after you became a permanent resident; or
changed after the PR card was issued to you; or
is not due to an error made by CIC.

Such information could include but is not limited to:

Legal name change
Name change after marriage or divorce
Signature
Name change after adoption

If you wish to change this information, you will have to apply for a new card using the application kit Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5445). Which is the form I submitted along with a copy of my passport, divorce papers, copies of ID with my maiden name.
<Unquoted>

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had submitted the PR card renewal application form and Recently, I just received my renewal PR card, but it still remains the same name (married name) as my previous PR card. I am now so worried because my name on my Passport and PR card are not the name and I plan to travel again by the end of this year.

My questions is...

1. Was it the CIC's mistake? In this case I will submit "Request to Reissue a Permanent Resident Card" Application form ... or

2. Did CIC make it on purpose? I am not sure after I red the back of enclosed PR card letter, it said "The information on your PR card is taken from the information on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence or your Record of Landing Form (which it was using my marriage name)

3. Referring to the question no. 1, in the Guide 5530 - Request to reissue a PR card (IMM5530),
<quoted>
What information cannot be corrected with this application?

CIC will not reissue a card to modify information that:

changed after you became a permanent resident; or
changed after the PR card was issued to you; or
is not due to an error made by CIC.

Such information could include but is not limited to:

Legal name change
Name change after marriage or divorce
Signature
Name change after adoption

If you wish to change this information, you will have to apply for a new card using the application kit Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5445). Which is the form I submitted along with a copy of my passport, divorce papers, copies of ID with my maiden name.
<Unquoted>
1) No, it's not their mistake.
2) Why did you change name in your passport?
3) Btw, travel by land does not matter. You use your passport to exit Canada and entering Canada using your PR card.

For reference:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-change-on-pr-card.619082/

Foxxbbe

Oct 14, 2012
1) No, it's not their mistake.
2) Why did you change name in your passport?
3) Btw, travel by land does not matter. You use your passport to exit Canada and entering Canada using your PR card.

how is it not? I sent them the divorce papers, along with my updated passport and ID, and used the new pr card/renew application.
I’m not married and have not been for 5 years why would I not change those?