+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

abhishishir

Star Member
Jan 14, 2014
Hi All
I also got the name split done with my Indian passport. I live in BC and going by comments of previous posts it seems I have to apply for name change certificate which involves paying 137$ fee and taking fingerprints with certified copy of pr.

But The sample certificate shows the name complete and there is no surname or first name field in it. So my question is after so much hassle my name will be shown on the Province name change certificate as name changed from XXXX YYYYY to XXXX YYYY as I just split my name.
Any suggestions on this
Thanks

bishankhn

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2016
Nomination.....
13-06-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016 AOR2
File Transfer...
13-06-2016
any updates guys on whats the best way of going about it? same thing happened with my wife who just landed as pr. she cant get her health card without the name being changed.

Please advise. thanks.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
bishankhn said:
any updates guys on whats the best way of going about it? same thing happened with my wife who just landed as pr. she cant get her health card without the name being changed.

Please advise. thanks.
She can apply for health card as usual. The only thing is her PR card will be issued without photo and first name+last name will get repeated twice.

bishankhn

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2016
Nomination.....
13-06-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016 AOR2
File Transfer...
13-06-2016
thanks for your response keypad. yes we got the valid ontario ID and health card can be issued using that.

did u request for passport name change from bls and then applied for your PR change?

snitin11

Mar 16, 2016
@ keypad: Sorry don't have an idea about Vital Stats.

Regd. my update, I got a name change certificate from Service Ontario in mail (after 9 weeks) which specified the following:

Old Name: XXXX YYYY,
New Name: YYYY, XXXX

So took this certificate and went to local Service Ontario. Based on the name change document/certificate they updated my name in DL, health Card. Then I went to local Service Canada office and they updated my name on SIN CARD based on this certificate. So bottom line i.e. DL , Health Card, SIN name update is done.

For Immigration (name change on PR Card) - I sent the name change copy to them and hopefully they will issue me with a new PR Card with updated name.

Reactions: kanwar144

snitin11

Mar 16, 2016
@abhishishir: The name change certificate will have :

If you see carefully name is written as <LastName>, <FirstName>
Comma(,) is there between first name and last name while if you see the old name after comma there's nothing.

So this is the correct way as I did update my DL, SIN card, health card yesterday based on this certificate.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
snitin11 said:

Comma(,) is there between first name and last name while if you see the old name after comma there's nothing.

So this is the correct way as I did update my DL, SIN card, health card yesterday based on this certificate.
Thanks for the reply @snitin11

However, the sample name change certificate on Vital Statistics BC website does not have any comma. You can view the sample image here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/birth-adoption-death-marriage-and-divorce/legal-changes-of-name/bigname.gif

Not sure, how this will prove the name split betweet first name and last name.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
bishankhn said:
thanks for your response keypad. yes we got the valid ontario ID and health card can be issued using that.

did u request for passport name change from bls and then applied for your PR change?
Not yet, I am thinking to have these done at the time of my citizenship application. That way I won't need to get my PR card and my home country passport updated. Nothing finalized yet, still trying to collect details about the process.

snitin11

Mar 16, 2016
@ Keypad: Not sure about British Columbia then..You may have to talk to someone there personally I guess...here as I said (in Ontario) the format was <LastName>, <FirstName>.

Good news is - I got my PR card updated today with split name. So everything is done. So just to re-iterate for everyone - here is the process for splitting the name:

1) Get a name change certificate from your province you are residing. (Since I live in Toronto - I applied the same in Service Ontario through mail). Name Change Certificate came after 8 weeks.

2) Once I got the certificate - took it to local Service Ontario office. They updated my name in Driving License, Health card.

3) Took the certificate to local Service Canada office. They updated my name in SIN Card.

3) Mailed the copy of the name change certificate to CIC (Immigration). Use the application of PR renewal

4) Received the PR card with updated name from CIC office.

5) Only thing which will not be updated is COPR because I changed my name after becoming a permanent resident. (FYI-COPR name change is only done if there was a mistake done by immigration officials.)

abhishishir

Star Member
Jan 14, 2014
snitin11 said:

Thanks snitin. but as keypad mentioned in BC the certificate has no commas between names. But I guess this is the process so have to follow that. I will give an update how it works once I try with this certificate. Thanks

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
abhishishir said:
Thanks snitin. but as keypad mentioned in BC the certificate has no commas between names. But I guess this is the process so have to follow that. I will give an update how it works once I try with this certificate. Thanks
Hi abhishishir,

Did you get any more insights on this? Please share your experience of getting name split as I also have to go through all these things but not sure how to deal with fingerprinting and legal name change with vital stats.

ranjitsingh3

Jun 17, 2013
@ Keypad: Not sure about British Columbia then..You may have to talk to someone there personally I guess...here as I said (in Ontario) the format was <LastName>, <FirstName>.

Good news is - I got my PR card updated today with split name. So everything is done. So just to re-iterate for everyone - here is the process for splitting the name:

1) Get a name change certificate from your province you are residing. (Since I live in Toronto - I applied the same in Service Ontario through mail). Name Change Certificate came after 8 weeks.

2) Once I got the certificate - took it to local Service Ontario office. They updated my name in Driving License, Health card.

3) Took the certificate to local Service Canada office. They updated my name in SIN Card.

3) Mailed the copy of the name change certificate to CIC (Immigration). Use the application of PR renewal

5) Only thing which will not be updated is COPR because I changed my name after becoming a permanent resident. (FYI-COPR name change is only done if there was a mistake done by immigration officials.)

Hi Snitin

Thanks for this information.
Can I have you contact information like email to ask some of my queries?
I am also living in Toronto ,Brampton and facing same issue with my wife passport.

Thanks

kpsingh2424

Oct 20, 2016

This is all after the BLS changing name on your passport, right?? or that is not required??

kpsingh2424

Oct 20, 2016
She can apply for health card as usual. The only thing is her PR card will be issued without photo and first name+last name will get repeated twice.
I wont mind my whole name repeated twice, but are you sure that PR card can be issued without photograph??? why would that be? :eek:

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
I wont mind my whole name repeated twice, but are you sure that PR card can be issued without photograph??? why would that be? :eek:
My bad, not PR card but health card will be issued without photo and name will be repeated twice. And this is for BC not sure about other provinces. Sorry for the typo.