+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name split for citizenship application

Namechange

Mar 18, 2024
My case is as under
My Indian passport had my name on Given Name and Family Name was blank

In Canada, family name is mandatory. So they printed my entire name on Family Name and Given Name is blank

I got my Indian passport name corrected by getting the name split and now it has Given Name and Family Name correctly mentioned.

Now I’m applying for Citizenship. As per my research so far I will need to apply for Legal Name Change. The Processing time these days is 6-7 months.

To save time If I apply with name as per my PR card, and I believe when applying for Canadian Passport we can mention the name as how we want it to be. Is that right? If yes, Will there be any issue in OCI application ?

What documents do they see for OCI? If they see Canadian passport then my names would match as my new passport I’ll choose the right name but if they see citizenship certificate then will I have to get my name corrected in citizenship certificate? How long that process would be?

I understand that immediately after getting citizenship we need to surrender our Indian passport and get OCI to travel. Since the name change may take months in citizenship certificate, I won’t be able to travel to India?

Also, what all documents require name correction post citizenship acquisition in canada ?