+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name issue on the COPR and Visa

Canadamig1

May 15, 2016
Hello,

My COPR shows my given name as <blank> and my surname as my first name. This is the same in my visa as well.
I returned both my COPR and passport back to the embassy and asked them to amend the document as per my passport (which has both my surname and first name). The lady said that the OCR reader which is at the bottom of my passport (the one which has Your Name<<<Passport Number<<<, etc) has my last name missing. For this reason they cannot add my last name and she said that if the last name was added then the border guard will not let me in as it will not mach when they run the passport with the reader.

I asked her to give this to me in writing and she said no and returned my passport stating that nothing is wrong. She said if you want your last name then get it changed in the passport at my country's embassy and pay her 30CAD for visa change.

Will i have an issue when entering Canada? Should I contact/email someone?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
It's the same as your passport name. If you wanted your full name you should have changed your passport.

If I were you I would accept everything as it is, eventually change your passport and apply for a new pr card with your new name.

Canadamig1

May 15, 2016
kryt0n said:
It's the same as your passport name. If you wanted your full name you should have changed your passport.

If I were you I would accept everything as it is, eventually change your passport and apply for a new pr card with your new name.
If kept as is will this cause problems for me during my port of entry? Where I'm not allowed to enter because full name is not on the copr or visa?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Canadamig1 said:
If kept as is will this cause problems for me during my port of entry? Where I'm not allowed to enter because full name is not on the copr or visa?
I'm not sure. Your name matches your passport so in theory it shouldn't be an issue.