Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Name on my passport is A B C where A is my first name, B is my middle name and C is is my last name. So is my SIN and Canadian tax returns.

Passport office allowed that: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp

On my citizenship card, name is B A C.

I've left Canada for 15 years and have been using my passport for everything (bank accounts, school certificates, professional license, visas, marriage certificate, etc).

I resumed residency a month ago and the driver's licencing office only lets me use the name same as the citizenship card. I'm not sure what's the impact when SIN my expired care card and literally everything else has my passport name but not driver's license? People told me I'm screwed as all government records should tie to the citizenship card that, if not, that will affect my benefits down the road.

Driving licensing office suggests a legal name change but it will be so awkward to apply for a name which I've already been using for the last 15 years? Will by doing so create even more problems?

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

PS. I didn't get my Canadian (BC) driver's license yet as I have 90 days to drive with my foreign one. The Province doesn't allowed any legal name change after 90 days of residency.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although on papers you have 90 days, the local RCMP traffic police do not care and you might be charge of driving without license.

Names different in SIN, tax papers, driver license, passport, citizenship card, landing paper is not a problem.

BTW, citizenship card can also be changed in your name of desire.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
Although on papers you have 90 days, the local RCMP traffic police do not care and you might be charge of driving without license.
How is that possible? Isn't it written clearly all new immigrants and returning citizens can use their foreign driver's license to drive legally for 90 days?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wyho007 said:
How is that possible? Isn't it written clearly all new immigrants and returning citizens can use their foreign driver's license to drive legally for 90 days?
When this happens, you will have to fight them in the courts..

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
When this happens, you will have to fight them in the courts..
Well, not that I have a choice now. I'm not sure if I need to go through any "tests" to reinstate my old BCDL and I can't risk not having a full license to drive on my own in this settlement phase that lasts into at least early April.

Thank you for the reminder though, I'll stay more alert when driving.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Please note, citizenship "cards" are no longer given, now u receive a piece of paper as a certificate (use it to apply passport)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
You could apply for a new citizenship certificate with your new name.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=907&top=5

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
wyho007 said:
Name on my passport is A B C where A is my first name, B is my middle name and C is is my last name. So is my SIN and Canadian tax returns.

Passport office allowed that: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp

On my citizenship card, name is B A C.

I've left Canada for 15 years and have been using my passport for everything (bank accounts, school certificates, professional license, visas, marriage certificate, etc).

I resumed residency a month ago and the driver's licencing office only lets me use the name same as the citizenship card. I'm not sure what's the impact when SIN my expired care card and literally everything else has my passport name but not driver's license? People told me I'm screwed as all government records should tie to the citizenship card that, if not, that will affect my benefits down the road.

Driving licensing office suggests a legal name change but it will be so awkward to apply for a name which I've already been using for the last 15 years? Will by doing so create even more problems?

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

PS. I didn't get my Canadian (BC) driver's license yet as I have 90 days to drive with my foreign one. The Province doesn't allowed any legal name change after 90 days of residency.
The big question is why the name on your passport does not match the citizenship card? What's the reason?

You can drive with your foreign drivers license as long as you meet the requirements below:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

If in doubt, contact ICBC and check if the foreign drivers licence is valid to drive in BC/Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
The big question is why the name on your passport does not match the citizenship card? What's the reason?

You can drive with your foreign drivers license as long as you meet the requirements below:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

If in doubt, contact ICBC and check if the foreign drivers licence is valid to drive in BC/Canada.
Incorrect.

Contact ICBC is of no use when RCMP kicks in. Despite the link says, the RCMP has the final say (until defeated at court) and ICBC would not challenge it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
steaky said:
Incorrect.

Contact ICBC is of no use when RCMP kicks in. Despite the link says, the RCMP has the final say (until defeated at court) and ICBC would not challenge it.
I am not too sure however I am saying that the OP should consult ICBC first to see if he/she is allowed to drive with that drivers license or not. If not, the OP should not drive and if he/she is allowed and RCMP kicks in then i think the OP can't do much. I think the OP has to take the risk if he/she is willing to drive.