+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name in permanent Resident Card and Passport doesnt match, re-entery problems?

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Hi, my wife changed her permanent resident card to her married name, and got a new permanent resident card, but did not change her passport as she had no plans to travel, but now she need to travel to Philippines and fears having problems when coming back... anybody have had this problem that can give some light and help to have a smooth re-entry to Canada ???

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
only the PR card is required for entering canada, so she won't have an issue at the CBSA border. you are not required to show your Passport at immigration - in fact they will hand it back to you and tell you only the PR card is needed to enter.

where she may run into an issue is with the airline letting her on the plane (or maybe even applying for the ETA - if it's required for her travels). she should be prepared to carry a copy of her marriage certificate showing her maiden name if the issue comes up, and i'd recommend calling the airline to see if they will accept it. if it's possible, the best option is of course to get her passport updated ASAP.

Reactions: coder_immigrant

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CDNPR2014 said:
only the PR card is required for entering canada, so she won't have an issue at the CBSA border. you are not required to show your Passport at immigration - in fact they will hand it back to you and tell you only the PR card is needed to enter.
??

A passport is most definitely required to enter Canada, except in a few exceptions such as Americans.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
??

A passport is most definitely required to enter Canada, except in a few exceptions such as Americans.
when i get to immigration, they only ask for the PR card, not my passport. perhaps this is because i'm traveling from the US. How I understand it, the passport is needed to TRAVEL to canada, but when you get to immigration they usually ask for only the PR card to prove your eligibility to enter. or is this different when traveling from a country other than the US?

Here's what it says online:
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada

Required identification
Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to help confirm your legal right to enter Canada. Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for certain international travellers who fly to Canada. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

Permanent residents
Permanent residents (immigrants living in Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens) need a valid permanent resident card to return to Canada. Check the expiry date on your card.

there is no mention of needing to show a passport at immigration, only the PR card. The PR card is the government issued document that proves a person's Canadian PR status. While a passport technically does this because of what electronic records it brings up for CBSA when scanned, the passport document presented by itself doesn't prove PR status. The counterfoil on non-visa exempt passports show approval for travel, but i don't think it actually proves a person actually became a pr and has a valid PR card/status? The COPR stapled inside is proof of landing, but must be presented along side the passport (and most people don't travel with this when they have a PR card). so even though a passport is required to travel to canada, it's not necessarily required to enter canada at the immigration check point when a PR card is available. am i interpreting this information wrong?

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Thanks for the information,
I guess that the best thing is to carry enough proof of identity and marriage certificate, mainly to prove in the airport that she is a permanent residence, and according to the responses we can not expect any problem at entry, but the problem may be at the airport. thanks for the responses.

kapadia

Jan 2, 2018
Hi Awesomeg,
I am in the same situation, can you please update if you travelled and was there any trouble, what documents you carried with you for support. Thanks

Ranbir.meet

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi,I have an issue that my passport is having my last name of my husband's and my PR card is still on my maiden's surname.I want to change my surname on my PR card that is already issued to me.I went through the documents require for reissuing new PR card,i found that record of landing is also necessary.But unfortunately,on my record landing paper also my maiden's surname.Can anyone suggest me that firstly i have to change my surname on my record of landing then on PR card or anyone know about the other that i know.I am having all other supporting documents on my husband's surname(marriage certificate,health care card and driving license,credit cards).

SGrewal99

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Hi,I have an issue that my passport is having my last name of my husband's and my PR card is still on my maiden's surname.I want to change my surname on my PR card that is already issued to me.I went through the documents require for reissuing new PR card,i found that record of landing is also necessary.But unfortunately,on my record landing paper also my maiden's surname.Can anyone suggest me that firstly i have to change my surname on my record of landing then on PR card or anyone know about the other that i know.I am having all other supporting documents on my husband's surname(marriage certificate,health care card and driving license,credit cards).
Hey,
My sister just got her name change done on her PR card. Same reason as yours. Please read the guide .If you require a legal name change , the copr, record of landing is a required document. If renewing just as the initial one then not.It is supposed to show your maiden name. No need to due a name change on that. It's more of a supporting document to show that this person is one and the same. You will need to send in your passport photocopy to show the name change. They do require a national document from your country showing a link between your old and new name. She used her marriage certificate as well as the passport of course. We sent in photocopies of her previous health card, drivers license and passport along with the new ones obtained for each. Despite sending everything in they did send her an email saying we require these documents. So we emailed them again with the subject line of the email being her UCI. She got her AOR about 10 days after that. When we checked ecas, we had to use her maiden name to login until the update was done. Once the update has been made, you will be able to check the status using your current name, as that will now be associated with your UCI. Hope this helps.
If you're an Indian passport holder make a photocopy of the end page. It mentions the previous passport number which has been cancelled. Just helps as a link to the old and new name.

Reactions: Ranbir.meet

SGrewal99

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Hi Awesomeg,
I am in the same situation, can you please update if you travelled and was there any trouble, what documents you carried with you for support. Thanks[/QUOTE
Hey,
From family experience I can give you this info. When travelling within Canada, you could use the last name of the ID you will be using to travel. When international travel is involved just make sure you book the ticket in the name that appears on your passport. For some of my known, the name in the their PR cards are different from the ones in the passport. They have never had a problem. Just make sure you have it. You might want to call the airline you will be travelling with and see what additional document they might need e.g a marriage certificate.

Rishjayne

Feb 20, 2019
Hi I just wanna ask if someone has idea about my situation regarding of my pr card and passport.
First I came here in canada using my single (lastname) and of course my pr card is same. But im married in my documents, it's just its easy for us to file the papers before with my lastname and it's hard to change passport in the philippines before it takes to long to process.
When I arrived here in canada last year I renew my passport into my married (lastname). Now my question is I want to apply a US visa for visiting, do you think it will affect to my papers if my pr card is my single lastname and my passport is married? Some people says I'll just bring documents to prove rgat it's the same person and my marriage certificate . Would it possible to apply us visa if I have this different last name? Thanks.

Reilui

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
26-07-2018
File Transfer...
30-05-2019
Hi, my wife changed her permanent resident card to her married name, and got a new permanent resident card, but did not change her passport as she had no plans to travel, but now she need to travel to Philippines and fears having problems when coming back... anybody have had this problem that can give some light and help to have a smooth re-entry to Canada ???
Hi what req does your wife give to the ircc for renewing pr card with diff last name on passport?
Thanks