+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

name from previous marriage

irosha

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
hi could you pls clarify this for me - i was previously married briefly and have a child from that marriage who is included in my application. i use my maiden surname now in all official documents and all my educational certificates and passport carry that name . however , in my child's birth certificate my name has been entered with both my maiden name and my then husbands last name together.
what documents will i need to submit to clarify this? ( no legal name change was done and the child's birth certificate is the only document that uses both names ) will my previous marriage certificate and subsequent divorce certificate suffice ? or will i need a notarized affidavit ?
thanks in advance !

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
hi could you pls clarify this for me - i was previously married briefly and have a child from that marriage who is included in my application. i use my maiden surname now in all official documents and all my educational certificates and passport carry that name . however , in my child's birth certificate my name has been entered with both my maiden name and my then husbands last name together.
what documents will i need to submit to clarify this? ( no legal name change was done and the child's birth certificate is the only document that uses both names ) will my previous marriage certificate and subsequent divorce certificate suffice ? or will i need a notarized affidavit ?
thanks in advance !
I think both the marriage and divorce certificates will do but having a notarized affidavit will ensure you are on safer side. An LOE mentioning the same would be supportive