+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name correction on Citizenship Certificate

manachinu

Star Member
Dec 22, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received my citizenship certificate on 15th Dec and noticed that my name was misspelled. After talking to CIC they mentioned that i should send the original certificate with letter mentioning what was wrong and they will fix the certificate.

Has anyone had to do the same ? If yes what was the turnaround time to get the certificate fixed ? Thanks..

Below is email from CIC

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Error on citizenship certificate

If you received your citizenship certificate and you noticed an error was made by CIC, you can ask for a new certificate to be issued with the corrected information at no cost.

Please note that you have a maximum of 90 days, from your ceremony date or from the date the certificate was mailed to you, to notify CIC of the mistake. You must return the certificate to the Case Processing Center (CPC) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, along with a letter explaining what the error is. You must also include documents supporting your request (for example, a photocopy of your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence, your birth certificate, etc.).

If you want proof that your letter was received, we suggest that you use registered mail with Canada Post or a courier service such as Purolator, UPS, FedEx, etc.

General Mailing Address
CPC-Sydney
P.O Box 12,000
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 7C2

Courier Address
CPC-Sydney
47 - 49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

If the 90-day period has passed, you must submit a new Application for a Citizenship Certificate (CIT 0001) with the required documents and payment. You must also return the certificate in the same envelope.

ondang2

Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
June 2010
AOR Received.
January 15,2011
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
January 15, 2011
Med's Done....
Febuary 8, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 27, 2011 sent passport May 17, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
received June 4, 2011
LANDED..........
June 24, 2011
Hi same here! My son had an error on his certificate and adviced us to return the certificate with an explanation, they already received it last friday hopefully we can get it soon.....

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Were you able to issue a passport with the correct name? or this has delayed you from issuing a passport?

SAKARUN

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Hi anyone hear back from IRCC about name correction?
If so, please post the timeline here and the process.
Thanks.

SAKARUN

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Hi SAKARUN, did you apply for the update in the certificate? How much time did it take for you?
Hi, I did not have to request for a correction. I noticed the mistake in my name in the Citizenship Ceremony invitation. Then, I informed it to the IRCC officer during the one-one session during the Ceremony and also, mentioned it in the email to IRCC after the ceremony. Luckily, they had sent the Citizenship Certificate with the correct name. I hope this helps.

Reactions: anigdikar