+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change

Toro_123

Feb 20, 2018
Guys have a quick question on name change.
Do i need to wait for Oath/Citizenship certificate to be issued first and then initiate a name change (addition of my last name to my Wife name). Right now my ecas status is Decision Made and i am waiting for the Oath. Appreciate your response.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I would suggest you to wait for your oath. Once you have citizenship certificate, then change name.

Toro_123

Feb 20, 2018
Does any one know the process of changing the name (once we have the citizenship certificate). Thanks !

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Hi

1. Google is your friend. Google name change and the province where you reside.
do you need to change your old docs... for eg if indian passport and old name and now your getting citizenship and then cad passport with legal name change, do you also need to change the indian docs?

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
do you need to change your old docs... for eg if indian passport and old name and now your getting citizenship and then cad passport with legal name change, do you also need to change the indian docs?
My oath is scheduled for April 10 and I'm booked for an election of surname to change my surname to my husband's last name in my province's vital stats office. For Canadian passport the requirement for a change of name aside from the other requirements is the certificate from your vital statistics office and another ID showing the new name (driver's license). So what I'm planning to do is get a name change certificate thru the vital statistics office first. Once I get the certificate I can then apply a driver's license with my new name. And lastly apply for a Canadian Passport with my new last name using the new driver's license and certificate from vital statistics as proof.

I guess you can do the same if you're doing a legal name change. What bugs me here is how long it takes to process a change of surname - I was told the process for the certificate is 10 weeks!

I don't think you need to change your indian docs if you're not going to use it after you get your cad citizenship.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
My oath is scheduled for April 10 and I'm booked for an election of surname to change my surname to my husband's last name in my province's vital stats office. For Canadian passport the requirement for a change of name aside from the other requirements is the certificate from your vital statistics office and another ID showing the new name (driver's license). So what I'm planning to do is get a name change certificate thru the vital statistics office first. Once I get the certificate I can then apply a driver's license with my new name. And lastly apply for a Canadian Passport with my new last name using the new driver's license and certificate from vital statistics as proof.

I guess you can do the same if you're doing a legal name change. What bugs me here is how long it takes to process a change of surname - I was told the process for the certificate is 10 weeks!

I don't think you need to change your indian docs if you're not going to use it after you get your cad citizenship.
thanks for the info.. I was thinking the same too.. I feel this is a better route for me to take.. to apply for citizenship, get it and then change name. Im on maternity EI and they advised me to fix it or else when times comes to collect Pension I will have problems.