+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change while a PR, and hurdles...?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,

Has anybody changed their names for whatever reason (pronunciation, marriage, etc.) and has that caused any problems with international travel or any other hurdle? As a PR, if sb changes his/her name on all Canadian documents and institutions, but not on their national passport, would this pose a difficulty when re-entering Canada at a boarding point in an international airport? If, for example, they see a different name on the PR card, but the original name on your national passport, then would they make a fuss out of it?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you change your name on all your documents, it shouldn't be a problem but if you travel on a PR card with one name and a passport with the other, you can expect you might have some problems. If you get a certificate for your name change in your province, you could carry that with you when you travel as well.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks, Leon. Service Canada was unsure about the international travel hurdles, too, but they recommended I contact Border Services (cbsa.gc.ca). I did send them an email (phone lines constantly busy) and I will post their reply here if I get any.

I still wonder, though, if someone in this forum has changed their names and what their traveling experiences have been...

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
So, below is the response I got from CBSA regarding the aforementioned concerns:

Please note that international transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a valid passport and a Canadian PR card. Canadian residents who present other documents may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance. We recommend that you contact the airline to verify their boarding regulations and requirements for travellers presenting documentation with various names.

In order to facilitate your entry to Canada, we recommend that you carry your certificate of name change to substantiate your identity. We recommend that you update your passport at your earliest convenience.

[...]

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.