+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change Process In Canada

vikashdalal

Aug 20, 2013
Name Change Proceudre in Passport & Other relevant Documents in Canada under Immigrant Status
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: To change name in Indian Passport
Before you are actually going to apply for name change, advertise your name in two english newspapers, once should be in India and other should
be in Canada. TOI is easy and good option to advertise. U can specify the below in your advertisement.
"I ABC S/O XYZ born on **** having passport No XYZ issues on ***** at ***** declares that I have changed my name from ABC (old name) to
XYZ (new name) and from now onwards I shall be known as XYZ (new name)."

Step 2: Once the advertisement is atleast a month old, you can start the further process. Get a notarized affidavit from any notary ( should be done in $40-50 )
stating your name, address, DOB, Passport no and mention that you have changed your name and get a brown seal on it by notary.

Step 3: Collect the below documents and fill the name change form (Document checklist & latest form can also be dowloaded from BLS website)
blsindia-canada.com/passport.php

a. Completed name change or Misc Service application form
b. Two passport photographs 35X35
c. PR card or Work Permit along with two photocopies
d. Passport photocopy of first two and last pages along with all observation pages
e. Original passport
f. Both newspapers original cutting ( Don't cut the cutting from page, they only accept the full pages along with date, paper name and place )
g. Original name change affidavit

Step 4: Submit all these documents at any BLS counter along with the fee and wait for an average one month period.
Note: In your new passport you will get permanent address of Canada where you are currently staying instead of India

Step 5: Update new name in your Bank Accounts, Driving Licence, Health card, SIN
To update your name in Driving licence, health card and SIN, Service Ontario need proof of name change document either one of these -
a. New PR Card
b. Work Permit with Updated Name
c. Name change certificate issues by Canada Govt

Now, here is the main difficulty.

Case 1: You are on WP and holding primary work permit ot dependent
In this case either you are on LMO or Inter company transfer. In both cases it will be a risky to get the same work permit again with new name.
If you are holding a LMO for your work permit and have the copy of LMO with you, apply the work permit online on CIC and provide CIC a valid reason why you
need a new work permit even though you have one. If its going to expire soon, apply the new one with new name.

Incase of inter company transfer, you need to go thourgh your sponsoring company.

If you are holding a dependent work permit, its pretty simple. Register yourself on CIC, upload your passport copy, your wp copy, a digital photo, IMM5710E and a written
letter why you want a new work permit.

Case 2: If you have correct name in your birth certificate, its easier to apply for a name change certificate. Download the form and instructions from belwo website.
ontario.ca/government/how-do-i-apply-legal-name-change

Fill the form, attach birth certificate copy, passport copy , fee and sent it to the specified address. It will take 1-2 months to get the certificate.
Office of the Registrar General
PO Box 3000
189 Red River Rd, 3rd Flr
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5W0

Step 6: Once you get either new WP or Name Change certificate, go to Service Ontario for Health Card and Driving Licence . ( if in mississauga, prefer below location )
Unit 14, 1151 Dundas Street West, Mississauga

Best Of Luck

Calvinomen

Sep 10, 2018
Hi Vikas, did you do this yourself ? Further, I am on a Post Graduation Work Permit , what issues can I expect ? As per the CIC website I have to carry both the passports every time I travel.

raamsen

Nov 5, 2016
Hello , I have question regarding birth certificate requirements. I don’t have birth certificate with me and I don’t have one . If we don’t have do you know what can we submit as alternative documents.

kindly let me know if you are aware of the details . Appreciate your help in advance