+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change post Citizenship

Panky79

Jan 6, 2021
I have seen many posts from fellow Indians who all have same name issue I.e Indian Passport has full name in given name field whereas Canadian documents all have full name in Family name/ Surname field. That’s because of Name nomenclature followed in Canada.

I never had any issues in the 3 years I have been here. So what if your Given name is blank in Canada docs... you still operate bank account, can travel, CRA stills expects you to pay tax, BC health service card still provides you benefits ( so what if they can’t issue photo Id card) your DL has your photo and used as photo ID card. When you travel you just put name on ticket booking as per passport (The blank Field is written as LNU/FNU depending on Airline) If you are not a frequent traveller and any case who is really travelling right now in pandemic unless critical. The only travel little bother I had in Past is when I arrived back in Canada after international travel, the Self service immigration Kiosk did not read PR card, so I had to stand in line to get manual immigration clearance from officer. The person explained its common issue because of the way name on PR And stamped and cleared me in a jiffy.

So if you really think of it, you don’t face any issues in your daily life in Canada. At least I haven’t. It’s such a common issue that it’s become a non issue.

So I have decided to apply for name correction / name split / name change after becoming citizen.

If you do on PR you first need to get Indian Passport rectified, then PR card rectified, then DL, SIN, Health card, Bank account. This involves money and time and with COVID timelines are uncertain and processing can be delayed which will affect you citizenship application timeline by a few months.

I have waited 3 years to realize Canadian citizenship dream and why Delay it further? Some stuff will need to be altered with name change later too like DL, SIN, Bank and Health card, but after citizenship you don’t bother with PR and Indian Passport. And you can easily apply for Visa, book travel on Canadian Passport with full name in surname field. Worry about OCI later. You can visit India on tourist visa initially. Get OCI after altering Canadian citizenship docs

Any thoughts you want to share if you agree or disagree, you are most welcome. The above is just my personal opinion.

Reactions: tenacioustopanga

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
You can get idea from this timeline.

CITIZENSHIP $630
Family size: Single
Physical Presence: 1100
App. Sent: Nov 12, 2018
App. Delivered: Nov 15, 2018
AOR: Jan 29, 2019
Test: May 10, 2019
OATH: July 1, 2019

SURRENDER INDIAN PASSPORT $290

Applied(walk in) July 2,2019
Received July 8,2019

CANADIAN PASSPORT $160
Applied (walk in)July 3,,2019
Received July 9,2019 (with LAST NAME XXX)

LEGAL NAME CHANGE $250
For Calgary,Alberta
Got Provincial name change certificate.
Fingerprints Nov 16,2019
Received Nov 22,2019
Name Change applied Nov 22,2019
Received Dec 9,2019

PROOF $75
After Legal name change
Application Sent Dec 18 2019
Application received Dec 20 2019
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:
Requested for Normal to URGENT on Aug 24, 2020
Decision Made: Sept 1, 2020
also fixed my last name in ECAS
Received: Sept 7, 2020

Re apply PASSPORT $160
Applied (walk in)Jan 4,2021
Received Jan 8,2021

Now Preparing for OCI

I think better name change after citizenship, you don't need to deal with indian consulate for new passport.

Panky79

Jan 6, 2021

CITIZENSHIP $630

Received July 8,2019

CANADIAN PASSPORT $160

LEGAL NAME CHANGE $250
For Calgary,Alberta
Fingerprints Nov 16,2019
Received Nov 22,2019
Received Dec 9,2019

PROOF $75
After Legal name change
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:

Re apply PASSPORT $160
Received Jan 8,2021

Now Preparing for OCI

I think better name change after citizenship, you don't need to deal with indian consulate for new passport.
Thanks. Agreed.

Reactions: visaforca

Navjot1234

Mar 7, 2022

CITIZENSHIP $630

Received July 8,2019

CANADIAN PASSPORT $160

LEGAL NAME CHANGE $250
For Calgary,Alberta
Fingerprints Nov 16,2019
Received Nov 22,2019
Received Dec 9,2019

PROOF $75
After Legal name change
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:

Re apply PASSPORT $160
Received Jan 8,2021

Now Preparing for OCI

I am in the same situation. Is there any problem if I decide to keep XXX in my given name on passport and don't get it corrected?

Manny02

Star Member
Sep 21, 2021
I believe there is a change to the process, now - you can skip the part of requirement for new name on citizenship for passport. the service canada- passport office - i think i saw that a month ago- mentioned that now you can simply change your name in your province and walk down to them with new id and they give you new passport.

Reactions: mpreetsingh

Navjot1234

Mar 7, 2022
I believe there is a change to the process, now - you can skip the part of requirement for new name on citizenship for passport. the service canada- passport office - i think i saw that a month ago- mentioned that now you can simply change your name in your province and walk down to them with new id and they give you new passport.
Thank you so much for the info. I checked your other message as well. Do you know how long does the name change process take and the procedure for it? I am trying to check that info online as well. TIA :)

Manny02

Star Member
Sep 21, 2021
Hi , Umm i think the name change with govt is like 2 week process, as per best of my knowledge. what location are you in?

Manny02

Star Member
Sep 21, 2021
Thank you so much for the info. I checked your other message as well. Do you know how long does the name change process take and the procedure for it? I am trying to check that info online as well. TIA :)
Hey , so i am in this process now .. did you get yourself changed and are based out of Alberta?

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hey , so i am in this process now .. did you get yourself changed and are based out of Alberta?
Hi, i am applying for my first time canadian passport after oath. in the given names, Indian passport have first name+fathers name e:g: Neha Ashok Gupta. as a result all other canadian IDs, including PR card etc have the same format. i want my canadian passport to exclude fathers name. so given name would just be Neha. would this require a formal name change. or will it be ok if i just filled 'Neha' in the given name section.

secondly if the canadian passport reflects Neha Gupta, Indian passport shows as Neha Ashok Gupta, would that cause issues while applying for OCI. since live alone and dont know too many people here, i want to avoid the running around to service ontario and the extra paperwork. thank you for your advise

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, i am applying for my first time canadian passport after oath. in the given names, Indian passport have first name+fathers name e:g: Neha Ashok Gupta. as a result all other canadian IDs, including PR card etc have the same format. i want my canadian passport to exclude fathers name. so given name would just be Neha. would this require a formal name change. or will it be ok if i just filled 'Neha' in the given name section.

secondly if the canadian passport reflects Neha Gupta, Indian passport shows as Neha Ashok Gupta, would that cause issues while applying for OCI. since live alone and dont know too many people here, i want to avoid the running around to service ontario and the extra paperwork. thank you for your advise
For the OCI bit, Yes it will cause issue I read one case in OCI thread. It was not a name change issue but having different given name since PR days. I am not sure if affidavit will sort this issue out. Better to ask it in the OCI thread - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
thanks will do that.
I have direct experience with this from this year. You will need to undergo the Canadian legal change of name process first and then use that certificate for OCI. Otherwise they will not accept. They will also require a notarized affidavit from you confirming the change of name. Since this is not a name change due to marriage you will need to follow the above steps.

Reactions: armoured

redindian22

Mar 22, 2010
I have direct experience with this from this year. You will need to undergo the Canadian legal change of name process first and then use that certificate for OCI. Otherwise they will not accept. They will also require a notarized affidavit from you confirming the change of name. Since this is not a name change due to marriage you will need to follow the above steps.

Hi,

It would be very helpful if you could share more details like the documents required and cost for applying for OCI after legal name change….. since I don’t have a first name, it is mentioned as xxx in the Canadian passport and OCI….already received the legal name change certificate from Ontario, Thanks in advance

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Hi,

It would be very helpful if you could share more details like the documents required and cost for applying for OCI after legal name change….. since I don’t have a first name, it is mentioned as xxx in the Canadian passport and OCI….already received the legal name change certificate from Ontario, Thanks in advance
Sure, just note that I have not yet received my OCI so application is not complete, but it has just been marked as dispatched yesterday so I am reasonably confident in this list:
  • Use the checklist for OCI Miscellaneous application
  • The checklist says to only include some documents for miscellaneous app but I was asked to include all docs needed for a new application when I asked the call centre. I forgot to print out all pages of the checklist and only included first page but they seem to
  • On top of that, you need to create an affidavit of change of name and have it notarized - send original of this, but remember to keep a scan to upload to OCI site. I used this template: https://www.notarize.ca/blog/affidavits-of-one-and-the-same-person
  • Include a notarized copy of your legal change of name certificate
  • I paid $42.40 to BLS via demand draft, all in one draft. I believe that’s $35 for miscellaneous service plus BLS fee
  • You will need to send in your original OCI in old name and you won’t get it back so you cannot travel without via for about two months
  • Before I applied, I updated both my passport and citizenship certificate to new name. I believe the certificate change is not necessary but I prefer to have everything consistent even if it takes longer.

Hope that helps

redindian22

Mar 22, 2010
Sure, just note that I have not yet received my OCI so application is not complete, but it has just been marked as dispatched yesterday so I am reasonably confident in this list:
  • Use the checklist for OCI Miscellaneous application
  • The checklist says to only include some documents for miscellaneous app but I was asked to include all docs needed for a new application when I asked the call centre. I forgot to print out all pages of the checklist and only included first page but they seem to
  • On top of that, you need to create an affidavit of change of name and have it notarized - send original of this, but remember to keep a scan to upload to OCI site. I used this template: https://www.notarize.ca/blog/affidavits-of-one-and-the-same-person
  • Include a notarized copy of your legal change of name certificate
  • I paid $42.40 to BLS via demand draft, all in one draft. I believe that’s $35 for miscellaneous service plus BLS fee
  • You will need to send in your original OCI in old name and you won’t get it back so you cannot travel without via for about two months
  • Before I applied, I updated both my passport and citizenship certificate to new name. I believe the certificate change is not necessary but I prefer to have everything consistent even if it takes longer.

Hope that helps
Thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining things in detail.
This information have been really useful and have cleared all my doubts.
I am sure this detailed information will help many others who wants to get their name changed in the OCI. Just one more doubt if you don’t mind answering. How much time did it take to for you to get the citizenship certificate with the name changed since the processing time now shows 14 months.Thanks

Reactions: tenacioustopanga