+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change on PR card

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has been through changing back to maiden name after divorce?
I am wanting to send my passport away to be changed and change the name on my PR card.

I was married before I got permanent residency, however I didn't get around to updating my documents so my original PR card, COPR etc etc was all in my maiden name. Once I moved to Canada and got everything all settled, I updated everything to my married name. Now I am divorced and changing back to my maiden name.

Do I need to wait for my new passport first for changing my PR card or will my divorce certificate, Ontario driving licence with maiden name etc suffice? I can also send them a copy of my previous PR card and passport, and my COPR, in my maiden name. Just wondering if the fact I was originally in the system under my maiden name will maybe mean I can try dealing with my PR card update while my passport is away being dealt with, and not wait for the passport to be done first.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do I need to wait for my new passport first for changing my PR card or will my divorce certificate, Ontario driving licence with maiden name etc suffice? I can also send them a copy of my previous PR card and passport, and my COPR, in my maiden name. Just wondering if the fact I was originally in the system under my maiden name will maybe mean I can try dealing with my PR card update while my passport is away being dealt with, and not wait for the passport to be done first.
As a resident of Ontario, you can change your name acc to Ontario procedures, just read the instructions about how to change name for PR card. How you deal with the passport change - separate for you to deal with home country embassy.