+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

name change in ontario

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I need advice on changing the name. I have checked online for changing the name in ontario.
soon will be canadian pr , I am thinking of changing my name. I have checked this website http://www.ontario.ca/en/information_bundle/individuals/119596.html
almost i have got every answer to my question but few still are unanswered
one of them is what is the timeline of getting the name certificate (i mean how much time does it take for this process)
other is I would be having permanent resident card so will canadian govt provide me a new permanent card with the changed name ?
and when I would be applying for citizenship, should i go in for my new name ? then they would say the name is different on pr card? would that be a problem then?
your suggestions would be helpful
thanks in advance

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
I don't know the answer for the name change certificate, guess that depends on what kind of name change it will be do to marriage (marriage certificate) or divorce (divorce degree)? or just a legal name thru the courts? in any event you can change your name on your PR card, I believe you have to pay the fee for them to issue a new PR card, the fee is 50 bucks. By the time you apply for citizenship all your document should/would be in your new name.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp
Legal change of name document

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must send in supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change:

a certified copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, marriage certificate issued by civil authorities with your new name or a divorce decree with your new name, and
a certified copy of your provincial driver's licence, provincial identification card or provincial health card in the requested name.