+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change Immediately after landing?

popoxee

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a CoPR and I am currently residing in Ontario and want to change my name.

I understand after landing they will send me PR card, which may take up to 6 months to arrive.

I am in an urgent situation to leave canada so I want to do the name change immediately after landing. Is it possible? Can I apply for Name Change in ontario with CoPR and without PR card? Or I HAVE to wait for my PR card to arrive?

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
You can see the details here.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/id/name/change.asp

popoxee

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crama123 said:
You can see the details here.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/id/name/change.asp
Thanks for your answer and link, however there is no answer to my question in that page

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
This is what it says:

Therefore, the following linking documents issued by a Canadian province or territory will be accepted for a change of name on a client’s permanent resident card, temporary resident document (visitor’s permit, work permit, or study permit) or Certificate of Canadian citizenship:

legal change of name document (see Amended birth certificate below);
court order specifying name change;
adoption order (see Amended birth certificate below);
marriage certificate, in accordance with Canadian provincial/territorial legislation (Some provinces/territories permit individuals to change their family name upon marriage, without applying for and receiving a legal change of name.

Please refer to the appropriate provincial/territorial law for guidance.);
divorce decree (In the case of divorced persons, some provinces/territories require individuals to apply for and receive approval to return to the surname they had prior to the marriage. Please refer to the appropriate provincial/territorial law for guidance.);
registration or declaration of union issued by civil authorities;
revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by civil authorities, and/or;
Registration of common-law relationship in any province that permits a change of name for common law relationships under their provincial/territorial law. (Common-law partners in some provinces/territories provinces (for example Alberta and Manitoba) can assume their partners' surname or combine it with their own, in the same way that people can when they marry. A formal name change application is not required, but common-law partners wishing to do this must file a declaration with the Vital Statistics Agency. Please refer to the appropriate provincial/territorial law for guidance.)

I don't think any of this applies, since you gave us no hint on why you want to change your name. I suggest you seek legal advice.

popoxee

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario has its procedure of name change:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/007-11155E~3/$File/11155E.pdf

If you were born outside of Canada, we require documents that show your legal name before you came to live in Ontario. If you have ever legally changed your name, provide proof of the legal name change. If there are differences in your name, date of birth or place of birth between your identity documents, you will be asked to provide additional consistent proof of your identity information as well as how and why it was changed. Please send the following documents:
 photocopy of original birth certificate or photocopy of certified copy of birth registration from country of birth and;
 photocopy of Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate (both sides) or photocopy of Canadian Record of Immigrant
Landing or photocopy of Permanent Resident Card (both sides
) and;
 photocopy of the passport used to enter Canada (if still held by the applicant)

It says it requires Landing Record or PR Card.
I have no PR card now, only CoPR. I was wondering if I can use it as Landing Record

popoxee

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure it refers to the Landing Record prior 2003 or CoPR counts as it as well.