+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change: First and last name different between passport and PR card

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
Hi.
My PR card has my old name on it and my passport has new chosen names.

I have changed my name legally in New Zealand and have been issued a new NZ passport with the new last and first name. I still have my old passport showing my birth names. New Zealand only issues you a new birth certificate when you legally change your name, not a name change certificate. I recently realized I need a BC ID to apply for name change on PR card so have sent off BC name change form and have vital statistics receipt, as my proof of this. I also have my NZ birth certificate that shows both birth and chosen names as well as old passport and the new passport.

I am needing to travel overseas but I wont have time to apply for new PR card showing new name. Do you think if I travel with all of my proof of name change documents I would be able to re enter Canada with my PR card that has a different name on it to my current NZ passport?

Thank you so much for reading and any guidance would be greatly appreciated

:)

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi.

I have changed my name legally in New Zealand and have been issued a new NZ passport with the new last and first name. I still have my old passport showing my birth names. New Zealand only issues you a new birth certificate when you legally change your name, not a name change certificate. I recently realized I need a BC ID to apply for name change on PR card so have sent off BC name change form and have vital statistics receipt, as my proof of this. I also have my NZ birth certificate that shows both birth and chosen names as well as old passport and the new passport.

I am needing to travel overseas but I wont have time to apply for new PR card showing new name. Do you think if I travel with all of my proof of name change documents I would be able to re enter Canada with my PR card that has a different name on it to my current NZ passport?

I changed my name in Australia and they did they same thing. They just amended my birth certificate with my new name but it had an endorsement on the bottom that said my name was previously registered as my birth names. I was able to change my PR card with the amended birth certificate but that was 13 years ago :)

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
I changed my name in Australia and they did they same thing. They just amended my birth certificate with my new name but it had an endorsement on the bottom that said my name was previously registered as my birth names. I was able to change my PR card with the amended birth certificate but that was 13 years ago :)
Thank you! This is good to know ☺
they just make everything harder than it needs to be!

BCTechy

Jan 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Online - London VO
NOC Code......
n/a
App. Filed.......
12-01-2022
Doc's Request.
04-10-2022
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
28-02-2022
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
01-03-2022
Med's Request
13-03-2022
Med's Done....
23-07-2022
Interview........
n/a
Hi.

You will be fine as long as you bring supporting documents. I have been in a similar situation and did not have an issue. I just had to explain it to the border guard and ticket agent. Just a little extra step until you get your new PR card.

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
You will be fine as long as you bring supporting documents. I have been in a similar situation and did not have an issue. I just had to explain it to the border guard and ticket agent. Just a little extra step until you get your new PR card.
thank you so much for your reply!! I really appreciate it. Was hoping this would be the case!