+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before or after getting Canadian passport?

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

My wife's FIRST NAME and LAST NAME both are mentioned under the First Name (Given Name) on her Indian passport (basically no Surname). Something like "XXXX YYYY". All her Canadian documents have both her names in the LAST NAME with FIRST NAME blank. This has caused much pain already. Please note that she would like to change her FIRST NAME as well officially to make it shorter.

Her Indian passport is up for renewal in Oct 2021 and we become eligible for Canadian citizenship by mid-2021. To make sure that she has an active passport, we will submit the application to renew Indian passport before we will get the Canadian passport. We are confused between the below options:
1. Renew the Indian passport as it is and apply for name change once Candian passport is received. In this case what would be the process to change the name on POI/OCI card?
2. Get the name changed while renewing Indian passport. In this case, what will be the process of changing name on PR card and other Canadia documents?
3. Split the name on Indian passport for now and apply for the name change once Canadian passport is received. Would we need to update the PR card and other Canadian documents twice in this case (one with the split of names and then with the name change)?

I will really appreciate you expert opinion based on experience and pros/cons of these approaches.

Thanks.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

My wife's FIRST NAME and LAST NAME both are mentioned under the First Name (Given Name) on her Indian passport (basically no Surname). Something like "XXXX YYYY". All her Canadian documents have both her names in the LAST NAME with FIRST NAME blank. This has caused much pain already. Please note that she would like to change her FIRST NAME as well officially to make it shorter.

Her Indian passport is up for renewal in Oct 2021 and we become eligible for Canadian citizenship by mid-2021. To make sure that she has an active passport, we will submit the application to renew Indian passport before we will get the Canadian passport. We are confused between the below options:
1. Renew the Indian passport as it is and apply for name change once Candian passport is received. In this case what would be the process to change the name on POI/OCI card?
2. Get the name changed while renewing Indian passport. In this case, what will be the process of changing name on PR card and other Canadia documents?
3. Split the name on Indian passport for now and apply for the name change once Canadian passport is received. Would we need to update the PR card and other Canadian documents twice in this case (one with the split of names and then with the name change)?

I will really appreciate you expert opinion based on experience and pros/cons of these approaches.

Thanks.
Apply for name change before citizenship application. You can update name change section in the citizenship form.

I have read on the forum that having your name split in Indian passport is enough proof. But I personally followed the name change process of my province and got a name change certificate.

Applied using the name change certificate and have got my citizenship on my split name.

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Apply for name change before citizenship application. You can update name change section in the citizenship form.

I have read on the forum that having your name split in Indian passport is enough proof. But I personally followed the name change process of my province and got a name change certificate.

Applied using the name change certificate and have got my citizenship on my split name.
Thank you for your reply. Please note that apart from split, my wife also wants to shorten her FIRST NAME. Name split while renewing Indian passport is a simple process but in case we need to change the spelling of the name itself, shall we do it after renewing the Indian passport? - basically is the best path to follow the below?
- Renew Indian passport and get the name split into FIRST and LAST
- Update all Canadian documents on the basis of this split (would this step be required?)
- Start the name change process (spelling changes) using provincial process (won't we have to follow the name change process Indian rules as well?)
- Apply for citizenship on this new name

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi,

Thanks.
I had the same issue for myself and my kid, i did the below. Probably your PR Card and documents have only a lastname and no first name
Easiest way and probably the most safest is
- Renew your passport normally as is from INDIA.
- Apply for Your Citizenship normally get the citizenship in the normal name which means you have first name blank and last name as your full name
- Then apply for Canadian Passport, get it, you will have first name XXX last name will be your full name
- Then Apply for a Provincial Name Change, (6 to 8 weeks), once you get it, update your Drivers license, SIN, Health card, etc, and apply for a New Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizen - standard time pre COVID was 5 months)
- Once you get new certificate, get a new passport.

This is a longer route but, once you split your name in indian password, you need get a new pr card and new confirmation of landing document, else your citizenship certificate will still have the old name, timelines to get the new PR Card varies, so it adds to the time anyway.

If you do name change, your citizenship application may go into non routine processing also takes more time, in anycase the fight is against the time, its better to have citizenship in hand, and wait rather than wait in limbo in non routine.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5

I guess the above is safe, hope this helps.

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
I had the same issue for myself and my kid, i did the below. Probably your PR Card and documents have only a lastname and no first name
- Apply for Your Citizenship normally get the citizenship in the normal name which means you have first name blank and last name as your full name
- Then apply for Canadian Passport, get it, you will have first name XXX last name will be your full name
- Then Apply for a Provincial Name Change, (6 to 8 weeks), once you get it, update your Drivers license, SIN, Health card, etc, and apply for a New Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizen - standard time pre COVID was 5 months)

This is a longer route but, once you split your name in indian password, you need get a new pr card and new confirmation of landing document, else your citizenship certificate will still have the old name, timelines to get the new PR Card varies, so it adds to the time anyway.

If you do name change, your citizenship application may go into non routine processing also takes more time, in anycase the fight is against the time, its better to have citizenship in hand, and wait rather than wait in limbo in non routine.

Thank you. It makes sense to me. One question though: you explained the process around getting the name updated in Canadian documents after the name change process, but could you please shed some light on the process to be followed to get that name reflected on Indian POI/OCI card?

Thanks again.

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Thank you. It makes sense to me. One question though: you explained the process around getting the name updated in Canadian documents after the name change process, but could you please shed some light on the process to be followed to get that name reflected on Indian POI/OCI card?

Thanks again.
Just get a normal visit VISA on the current passport the one that has XXX,
Then Once you get the updated passport then apply for PIO/OCI card, this was if you have to travel to india, you can travel. \
hope this helps.

Panky79

Jan 6, 2021

I have same name issue and due to apply for Citizenship in March and I agree it’s just better to split name after citizenship. right now with COVID processing timelines are uncertain so it will delay citizenship application and really there are no problems I have faced in last 3 years because of name issue, except at Canadian airport the self check out kiosk doesn’t read the pr card and you get then immigration clearance manually from officer. With pandemic there is no need to travel unless critical.

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
You can get idea from this timeline.

CITIZENSHIP $630
Family size: Single
Physical Presence: 1100
App. Sent: Nov 12, 2019
App. Delivered: Nov 15, 2019
AOR: Jan 29, 2020
Test: May 10, 2019
OATH: July 1, 2019

LEGAL NAME CHANGE $240
For Calgary,Alberta
Got Provincial name change certificate.
Fingerprints Nov 16,2019
Received Nov 22,2019
Name Change applied Nov 22,2019
Received Dec 9,2019

PROOF $75
After Legal name change
Application Sent Dec 18 2019
Application received Dec 20 2019
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:
Requested for Normal to URGENT on Aug 24, 2020
Decision Made: Sept 1, 2020
also fixed my last name in ECAS
Received: Sept 7, 2020

I think better name change after citizenship, you don't need to deal with indian consulate for new passport.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
You can get idea from this timeline.

CITIZENSHIP $630
App. Sent: Nov 12, 2019
App. Delivered: Nov 15, 2019
AOR: Jan 29, 2020

LEGAL NAME CHANGE $240
For Calgary,Alberta
Got Provincial name change certificate.
Fingerprints Nov 16,2019
Received Nov 22,2019
Name Change applied Nov 22,2019
Received Dec 9,2019

PROOF $75
After Legal name change
Application Sent Dec 18 2019
Application received Dec 20 2019
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:
Requested for Normal to URGENT on Aug 24, 2020
Decision Made: Sept 1, 2020
also fixed my last name in ECAS
Received: Sept 7, 2020

I think better name change after citizenship, you don't need to deal with indian consulate for new passport.
Your dates are confusing, perhaps it’s a typo in the years? How is your citizenship test and oath BEFORE you even submitted the application?
And you submitted your legal name change/proof of citizenship application during the citizenship application process?

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Your dates are confusing, perhaps it’s a typo in the years? How is your citizenship test and oath BEFORE you even submitted the application?
And you submitted your legal name change/proof of citizenship application during the citizenship application process?
CITIZENSHIP $630
App. Sent: Nov 12, 2018
App. Delivered: Nov 15, 2018
AOR: Jan 29, 2019
was typo
I submit name change after citizenship.

yeshelllomaybe

Jun 28, 2021

Hello there, do you have to change your PR card name before applying for citizenship? Or is the name change certificate sufficient?

Mycvisa1234

Jan 26, 2023
hi there,
I am in the same boat and in Calgary as well. I just applied for my Canadian passport and am very sure it will come with xxx as I don’t have a legal given name too.
You mentioned that after you changed your name legally, you had to apply for citizenship certificate again- I’m a little confused since you already have the Canadian passport, why do you need to apply for the certificate again. Can you not use the legal changed name affidavit and apply for a new passport with that?
Let me know.
Thank you!!