+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before or after citizenship application?

Michelleyoj

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey
Category........
Other
In my experience.. I asked for a name change once I received my AOR.. and the process is taking longer than usual, but It is not necessary because of the name change, I am stuck with a lot of e
People that the process is taking more than 12 month after the 3/5 rules.. But In my opinion the best way is..
1. Do a legal name change in your province if this is the case. 2 or 3 months
2. Change your PR card.. now the process is between 1-2 months (I did it in the middle os my application and was the moment I can see my new name in the system
3. Apply for the citizenship.
Good luck..

Did u call cic that you want to change or it just updated itself after you change your name legally.

Tinyshiny17

Jul 4, 2017
Hello, Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.

Hi! Kabayan how are you!, were the same situation. May I ask if you change your last name back to your maiden name in your application of canadian citizenship.?and how did you manage your philippine passport with your ex-husband last name? As philippine government not allowing us to change our last name back to our maiden name because they don't recognized devorced in philippines unless filled annulment which is very expensive.

Hope this question find you with peace and harmony.thank you and keep safe.

Ruselle

Michelleyoj

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey
Category........
Other
Hi! Kabayan how are you!, were the same situation. May I ask if you change your last name back to your maiden name in your application of canadian citizenship.?and how did you manage your philippine passport with your ex-husband last name? As philippine government not allowing us to change our last name back to our maiden name because they don't recognized devorced in philippines unless filled annulment which is very expensive.

Hope this question find you with peace and harmony.thank you and keep safe.

Ruselle

Hi Russell,

Its ok even the Philippine passport is different from your current name. If you travel to Philippines or anywhere they said just show your name change certificate.

Reactions: Tinyshiny17

Tinyshiny17

Jul 4, 2017
Hi Russell,

Its ok even the Philippine passport is different from your current name. If you travel to Philippines or anywhere they said just show your name change certificate.
Thank you... my situation is,I remarried to a caucasian and still using my exe's last name. I wonder if I could change my exe's last name to my caucasian husband last name in my citizenship application? Very complicated situation.

Hoping that theirs anyone here solved this kind of situation.

Michelleyoj

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey
Category........
Other
Thank you... my situation is,I remarried to a caucasian and still using my exe's last name. I wonder if I could change my exe's last name to my caucasian husband last name in my citizenship application? Very complicated situation.

Hoping that theirs anyone here solved this kind of situation.

We have the same situation. It just i didn't used my caucasian husband last name. I just legally apply for name change due to divorce. So i just remove my ex last name and back to my birth last name. In your case you can ask vital statistics you can find an exact answer from them. Goodluck