+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before or after citizenship application?

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
I'd like to move my last name to my middle name, and add a new last name. Example: if my name is Tim Smith now, I'd like my future name to be Tim Smith Johnson.

I plan on applying for citizenship within the next few months (assuming the 3/5 law comes into effect soon). Should I do the name change before or after the citizenship application? If I do it before, I have to get a new PR card etc...which I think will be a hassle, and I'd rather not go through that again. If I do it after the citizenship oath, I'm guessing I have to apply for a new Canadian passport with the updated name? I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this before...any help will be appreciated.

alpalp

Jun 19, 2017
I was also considering changing the name before applying for a citizenship and decided not to. My primary concern is that the name change will definitely make my application non-routine(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5), which means possible processing delays. Personally, for me this reason is enough to postpone the name change until I get a citizenship. Besides, PR card renewal takes at least 2 months according to cic.gc.ca, so there could be another delay while waiting for a new PR card.

Last edited:

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
I was also considering changing the name before applying for a citizenship and decided not to. My primary concern is that the name change will definitely make my application non-routine(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5), which means possible processing delays. Personally, for me this reason is enough to postpone the name change until I get a citizenship. Besides, PR card renewal takes at least 2 months according to cic.gc.ca, so there could be another delay while waiting for a new PR card.
Hi

Non routine is considered if you applied for citizenship and want to change name while the application is still in process.
If you change before you apply citizenship then i don't think it will be a problem.
Experts please comment.

Thanks

alpalp

Jun 19, 2017
ganapathi, probably you're right. I forgot an applicant can request the name change while filing the application. Thank you!

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
I forgot an applicant can request the name change while filing the application.
Can you elaborate? Is there any info or links on this?

alpalp

Jun 19, 2017
Can you elaborate? Is there any info or links on this?
As far as I understand, in this form http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0002E-2.pdf (Application for Canadian Citizenship — Adults) in the section 3.A you have to use the name from the immigration document, however in the next field 3.B you may put your current name. There is a whole section related to the name change in the application guide - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#name_change .

Depending on the part of the name the person would like to change different supporting documents must be provided. In my case, I would like to change both first and last names, so as I understand, I have to provide "Legal change of name document" or "Court order specifying name change". There is a different story if someone wants to change just the last name(e.g. in case of the divorce).

I might be wrong, but it seems in my case I still have to legally change my name before I apply for a citizenship and I can't simply put my new name in the application form without all required papers from the court. Anyway, it seems like too many additional steps and at this point citizenship is more important for me than the name change.

tbakirmtl

Jun 19, 2017
Montreal
AOR Received.
29-11-2017
LANDED..........
21-04-2011
I am also looking to change my name.
Can someone guide as to how it is done, where should I apply?

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
. Anyway, it seems like too many additional steps and at this point citizenship is more important for me than the name change.
Yes, this might be the way to go. Get the citizenship+passport, then worry about the name change, instead of doing it pre-citizenship, which might complicate the citizenship application itself.

anuaro

Dec 16, 2014
Hi All,

I am also stuck in the same situation. I do not have last name in my passport and i have to apply for citizenship.
Which would be best way to add last name? before citizenship or after?

Currently, all the Ids -PR card, DL, passport has only first name. I read and it seems lot of documentation required for name change.

Thanks

yanesrahn

Oct 7, 2008
ontario
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
12-01-12
Nomination.....
28-11-11
AOR Received.
15-02-12
Med's Request
15-02-12
Med's Done....
21-02-12
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 received 10-05-20113
In my experience.. I asked for a name change once I received my AOR.. and the process is taking longer than usual, but It is not necessary because of the name change, I am stuck with a lot of e
People that the process is taking more than 12 month after the 3/5 rules.. But In my opinion the best way is..
1. Do a legal name change in your province if this is the case. 2 or 3 months
2. Change your PR card.. now the process is between 1-2 months (I did it in the middle os my application and was the moment I can see my new name in the system
3. Apply for the citizenship.
Good luck..

canirish2018

Nov 30, 2018
I changed my name with my application. My current passport and my PR card have my maiden name, however all my correspondence in Canada has my married name. I sent off all supporting documentation with my application for name change and my application is now being processed in my married name. I applied in September 2018 for citizenship and will write my test tomorrow, so I don't feel that it has held up my application, I think mine is progressing the same as a "regular" application.

nithin

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Hi, I am PR now and applying citizenship next month (July 2019).
I dont have last name(surname) in PR. Instead First and last name together as first name (given name).

Eg. First (Given) Name is MARK JOHN SMITH. Last name(surname) :---------
In the above example, want to make First (given) name: MARK JOHN and Last name (surname): SMITH
Is it possible during citizenship application ? without legal documents?

Anybody have experience?

dreematt

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
March 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015 (Up Front)
Hello, Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.

Reactions: Tinyshiny17

ayeh40

Nov 26, 2019
Hello, Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.