Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
28-04-2010
Hey,
Like everybody else, have a ton of questions. My latest concern is about a name change. My husband and I got married in the beginning of the summer and just got our marriage certificate and are about to send the PR application. I wonder when, in all this, would be the best time to change my surname to his? If I do it now, I'm afraid that will confuse the immigration lawyers and cause a delay. If I do it after the process, then I will have to request new driver's licence, OHIP, PR card etc, when I just got it! I know it might be a silly concern but I just want to have this process done in the best and fastest way :D What would you do?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The only thing you're required to do is fill out the application paperwork with the same surname that appears on your passport - so if it's still in your former name, you either have to fill out and submit the PR application with that name or, if you want to put your new name in the application forms, get your new passport and then submit the PR application.

You do have the option of doing what I did - fill out the paperwork and submit it with your old name, then update CIC with a photocopy of your new passport after you receive it. Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence will be issued with exactly the same name that's on your valid passport, so that's not the issue. It's just that I've experienced, as a result of having done it that way, an annoying inconsistency in how mail from the Embassy is addressed to me, and an inconsistency in which name they're using for me when I log in to eCAS. In the end it probably doesn't really matter - and it wouldn't be a big deal if it was my maiden name they're using, but I really hate getting mail addressed to me with my ex-husband's surname.

So - what would I have done differently? I'd have gotten my name changed on my passport immediately and submitted everything in my new married name. I delayed because I was under the mistaken impression that they would keep the original certified copy of our marriage license, and I knew I would need it to change my name on other stuff. So I ordered a second copy of our marriage license and waited until I had that before I sent for my new passport. In the end they returned the marriage certificate, so the delay was wasted time. Bottom line - you can do it either way, but if you want things to be less complicated, get the passport done first. Don't know where you're from, but I'm from the States and it didn't take long at all for me to get mine back - mailed to Canada.

Reactions: Jay_jay02