+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

Akots

Nov 6, 2018
I have overall 8 years of experience from 5 companies. The details are as follows :

NOC 1 : 3.5 years from total 2 companies
NOC 2 : 1.5 years from my own startup
NOC 2 : 3 years from total 2 companies

As you can see, i got more than 3 years of experience for both the NOCs. But my primary NOC in which I want to work is NOC 2.

I have two questions:
a) It is easier to get reference letters for NOC 1 than 2 but i want to work in NOC 2 in canada. So would it be a problem if i keep NOC 2 experience in personal history in EE form and apply jobs for NOC 2?? Do employers check that?

b) I was one of the directors on my startup. So whom shall i get my reference letter from? Myself? or my friend who was other director? or my mother who was the main director and chairman? The startup and the said private limited company are already closed.
Can someone answer this?

mina_kumari

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-03-2019
Passport Req..
26-09-2019
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2019
LANDED..........
25-11-2019
My questions are:

I worked at a dental clinic on 40% sharing basis and I worked only for 10 months. Can anyone please help me out how to phrase that in reference letter?

Secondly, for one year I worked 40 hours a week and next year it was 20 hours a week. So in this case can I say I have 2 years of experience?

Thanks

AGill22

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Hey guys

I have query.

I have worked with multiple employers. I passed my MBA in 2010. Got campus recruitment and and employment flows as below:
-first company from June 2010 to Jan 2012. - - ---Second company Jan'12 to Dec'12.
-present company Dec'12 till date.

I will manage my experience certificate from current employer. I have release letter from my 2nd. But have some how miss placed the release letter from 1st.

Will I need experience certificate from all the employers??

Trumped2018

Star Member
Nov 1, 2018
Hi Friends

I have been working with TCS for close to 9 years. I have had four promotions and worked in 5 different projects (in 2 NOC Codes) in 4 different locations. Officially, TCS does not give a reference letter to its existing employees.

In lieu of that, based on feedback on Canada visa threads, I reached out to my previous managers who are still with TCS. They all agreed to give a notarized letter.

But we were still not sure. So, to get an expert advice we decided to hire an immigration consulting (the most popular one in India .. Abh....) to help with the post ITA process. The attorney at the immigration consulting company has advised me to simply get one email (on TCS email) from a colleague who has been in TCS longer than myself with all roles and responsibilities listed on it from all five projects, save it as a pdf and use that. According to them attaching five letters complicates things and Indian notarization is meaningless for CIC. What matters is that in case of a BGC (which is done via email in most cases) that person from your company should be able to confirm the details in the email.

On the other hand I read on the Canada Visa threads that notarized letter is required in absence of reference letter on company letter head.

I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten their PR by submitting email from colleague in absence of reference letter on letterhead? Or, if anyone has been advised by their attorney that notarization is a must?

If we can get a clear perspective on that, it will help a lot of other applicants as well. In the end getting an email is far easier than getting letters notarized (in which most are done in a fraudulent manner as the person who signs it is not always present in front of notary as the law requires them to be).

Best regards

Reactions: dappy9

AGill22

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
Hi Friends

I have been working with TCS for close to 9 years. I have had four promotions and worked in 5 different projects (in 2 NOC Codes) in 4 different locations. Officially, TCS does not give a reference letter to its existing employees.

In lieu of that, based on feedback on Canada visa threads, I reached out to my previous managers who are still with TCS. They all agreed to give a notarized letter.

But we were still not sure. So, to get an expert advice we decided to hire an immigration consulting (the most popular one in India .. Abh....) to help with the post ITA process. The attorney at the immigration consulting company has advised me to simply get one email (on TCS email) from a colleague who has been in TCS longer than myself with all roles and responsibilities listed on it from all five projects, save it as a pdf and use that. According to them attaching five letters complicates things and Indian notarization is meaningless for CIC. What matters is that in case of a BGC (which is done via email in most cases) that person from your company should be able to confirm the details in the email.

On the other hand I read on the Canada Visa threads that notarized letter is required in absence of reference letter on company letter head.

I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten their PR by submitting email from colleague in absence of reference letter on letterhead? Or, if anyone has been advised by their attorney that notarization is a must?

If we can get a clear perspective on that, it will help a lot of other applicants as well. In the end getting an email is far easier than getting letters notarized (in which most are done in a fraudulent manner as the person who signs it is not always present in front of notary as the law requires them to be).

Best regards
Hey Guys.

I am facing the same challenge can anybody help us on this.

Further more have worked 3 employers. 1 is current one and 2 before this. So does the format or detailing is required for all the 3 or the current one is the most relevant? And last two would be just OK if I have releasing letter from them.

SOS......

thaitran26291

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am preparing a job reference letter from my current job. I have benefits simply like below

- Every kilometers I travel ( by my car ): my boss pays me 45 cents ( 0.45 cent per km )
- Every cheque ( biweekly) my boss gives me 20 dollars for phone ( we communicate by phone most of the time )
- Vacation pay : extra 4% on top of the amount of working hours ( example: if I get $1000 for 2 weeks, he will give me extra $40 for vacation )

Should I ask my boss to include the above in my job reference letter ? If yes, please advice a format ( since my boss ask me to write the letter myself, he will just review and sign for me )

Thank you in advance.

marijaenglishteacher

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017
Hello! I need some information about the job reference letter from the employer. Do I need to upload the original (printed on the company's letterhead) or the certified copy of the letter? Of course, the English translation should be original, that's for sure.

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am preparing a job reference letter from my current job. I have benefits simply like below

- Every kilometers I travel ( by my car ): my boss pays me 45 cents ( 0.45 cent per km )
- Every cheque ( biweekly) my boss gives me 20 dollars for phone ( we communicate by phone most of the time )
- Vacation pay : extra 4% on top of the amount of working hours ( example: if I get $1000 for 2 weeks, he will give me extra $40 for vacation )

Should I ask my boss to include the above in my job reference letter ? If yes, please advice a format ( since my boss ask me to write the letter myself, he will just review and sign for me )

Thank you in advance.
Wow, what company is this :D ??

No you need not mention these perks in your reference letter. If letter mentions your base or gross pay, you should be all set.

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
My advice would be to arrange a meeting with your HR representative and stress beforehand that this is in confidence. I did this, explained my situation and got a letter without any issues. My approach was to say that I wasn't thinking of leaving but I have wanted to move to Canada for years and immigration was getting harder so I wanted to at least apply now to give myself the option in 2 or 3 years time.

RR9187

Dec 3, 2018
For those who are looking for a reference letter format, I have drafted one and used this for me as well. This is in line with the requirement that has been mentioned in the OINP Application Guide (http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html). Please feel free to tewek it to meed your requirement.

Reference Letter Format

Date: _____________

To Whom it May Concern

This is to certify that Mr. ____________ (Name) is currently employed with __________ (Company Name) in ___________ (Location, Country).

Details of his employment are given below:
• Designation:
• Date of Joining:
• Employee ID:
• Type of Employment (Full time/permanent/part-time):
• Hours of Work/Week:
• Department:
• Reporting Manager:
• Annual Salary:

Duties and responsibilities handled by ___________ (Name) are as follows:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

For (Company Name)

<Signature of the Referee> <Company Seal>
<Name & Designation of the Referee>
<Contact No. and Email of the Referee>
Thank you, this really helped!

pgfswapp

Apr 29, 2018
Guys,

I am a FSWO/Single Applicant.

I'm in the same situation. Can't get the reference letter on the company letterhead because of the policy. But its a well known Canadian Bank.
HR just gave me the regular experience letter which I will attach.
Have the rest of the documents - offer letters, recommendation letter, payslips, T4 tax papers etc.

My Question: Can I notarize the reference letter even if it is for a Canadian employer? Any known successful cases?

Thanks!

Kurco

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
Guys, I have one doubt if you can please help me out. I am filling out my experience and have this case:
From 2004 to 2015 I worked in the same company as Petroleum Engineer but covering 4 different designations (all of them under Petroleum Engineering). I{ve put all of them in my profile very detailed but now thinking about it I should put just: Petroleum Engineer from 2004-2015. That way I would not need to ask for 4 different reference letters, different managers, different department, etc. Anyways for the company is the same and dont think should matter to CIC. What do you think?

Reactions: MERCYANDGRACE5

MERCYANDGRACE5

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Guys, I have one doubt if you can please help me out. I am filling out my experience and have this case:
From 2004 to 2015 I worked in the same company as Petroleum Engineer but covering 4 different designations (all of them under Petroleum Engineering). I{ve put all of them in my profile very detailed but now thinking about it I should put just: Petroleum Engineer from 2004-2015. That way I would not need to ask for 4 different reference letters, different managers, different department, etc. Anyways for the company is the same and dont think should matter to CIC. What do you think?
PLS LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET A RESPONSE TO THIS. THANKS.

Nixnic19

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
For those who are looking for a reference letter format, I have drafted one and used this for me as well. This is in line with the requirement that has been mentioned in the OINP Application Guide (http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html). Please feel free to tewek it to meed your requirement.

Reference Letter Format

Date: _____________

To Whom it May Concern

This is to certify that Mr. ____________ (Name) is currently employed with __________ (Company Name) in ___________ (Location, Country).

Details of his employment are given below:
• Designation:
• Date of Joining:
• Employee ID:
• Type of Employment (Full time/permanent/part-time):
• Hours of Work/Week:
• Department:
• Reporting Manager:
• Annual Salary:

Duties and responsibilities handled by ___________ (Name) are as follows:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

For (Company Name)

<Signature of the Referee> <Company Seal>
<Name & Designation of the Referee>
<Contact No. and Email of the Referee>

Need your advice pls.

My reference letter does not have salary or benefits since it is only for active employees. But they can give me copies of my Income tax return that states my yearly salary from them. Do i need to make a letter of explanation with this?

SeniorStakes

Nov 7, 2018
Toronto
Are the NOCs same?