+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Thanks everyone for the responses. As I mentioned earlier, I have work ex letters on coMpany letterheads signed by HR/manager totalling more than 7 years. The only problem was that letters didn't mention salary. However now I have got Salary certificate from first job, all salary slips from second job and for the current job, i anyway have all salary slips.
I think that should suffice.
Is it necessary to attach tax filing documents like From16 from india or w2 from usa? It is not mentioned anywhere on cic website.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks everyone for the responses. As I mentioned earlier, I have work ex letters on coMpany letterheads signed by HR/manager totalling more than 7 years. The only problem was that letters didn't mention salary. However now I have got Salary certificate from first job, all salary slips from second job and for the current job, i anyway have all salary slips.
I think that should suffice.
Is it necessary to attach tax filing documents like From16 from india or w2 from usa? It is not mentioned anywhere on cic website.
Since your current job(3.5 yrs) is more than sufficient to get you max points wrt to foreign work experience you do need to include any of your previous work experience in work experience section.
You can mention your previous work experience in the personal history section and you will not be required to provide any additional supporting documentation for it.
For the current role you can include your payslips and increment/promotion letter if you have it handy... no need to include your tax returns as it has no meaning for Canadian PR processing

balaji.s

Jan 31, 2018
Hello,
From my previous job which lasted for 4 years i can get a notarized reference letter from my senior colleague, which satisfies the "3 years or more" foreign work experience.
But from my current job, i cant get a reference letter which will jeopardize my position in the company as i am a new joinee.
So shall i just submit the previous job experience(4+ years) to CIC excluding the current job?
Please advise.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello,
From my previous job which lasted for 4 years i can get a notarized reference letter from my senior colleague, which satisfies the "3 years or more" foreign work experience.
But from my current job, i cant get a reference letter which will jeopardize my position in the company as i am a new joinee.
So shall i just submit the previous job experience(4+ years) to CIC excluding the current job?
Please advise.
Yes you can... IRCC says that you need to provide work exp letter of reference for work done within the last 10 yrs... it does not necessarily need to be the current role
However you need to move the present job to the personal history folder since you are not claiming points for it

Reactions: balaji.s

balaji.s

Jan 31, 2018
Yes you can... IRCC says that you need to provide work exp letter of reference for work done within the last 10 yrs... it does not necessarily need to be the current role
However you need to move the present job to the personal history folder since you are not claiming points for it
Thank you very much for the clarification.

Inabt

Jul 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Rome
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
Med's Request
10-12-2018
Med's Done....
01/11/2018
Passport Req..
01-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
14-10-2019
Guys, My husband can not provide a reference letter for his previous job outside canada.what should I do?I just got the ITa in 15 october and I am at the stage where i am updating my profile

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Guys, My husband can not provide a reference letter for his previous job outside canada.what should I do?I just got the ITa in 15 october and I am at the stage where i am updating my profile
Are you principal applicant or your husband ?
If you are principal applicant, your husband does not require to provide any letter of reference(since dependent do not add points to the principal applicants profile for foreign work exp) and you can remove the job from work history and include in the personal history section instead

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Last edited:

Inabt

Jul 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Rome
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
Med's Request
10-12-2018
Med's Done....
01/11/2018
Passport Req..
01-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
14-10-2019
Are you principal applicant or your husband ?
If you are principal applicant, your husband does not require to provide any letter of reference(since dependent do not add points to the principal applicants profile for foreign work exp) and you can remove the job from work history and include in the personal history section instead

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html
Thank you for your response:)

Inabt

Jul 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Rome
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
Med's Request
10-12-2018
Med's Done....
01/11/2018
Passport Req..
01-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
14-10-2019
dear experts,

Can someone tell me if the letter of reference should only be translated from an authorized person?
Or should be translated and noterized?
will it be a problem if I only translate it?

Fahadkazmi

May 28, 2018
Hi,
I joined company A in 2014 and left it in 2017. I have employment letter with designation, department, salary breakdown, benefits, working hours on company letter head, promotion letter with new salary breakdown on company letter head, experience letter on company letterhead after I resigned from there.
I dont expect that company to issue me a new reference letter. Will the above documents be sufficient?

Aamar

Nov 1, 2018
For my past work experience, can my past manager who works in a different Company now, send me the reference letter from his current job email address or personal email address. How can he sign on email...if he gives me in writing on piece of plain paper alongwith his signature..do I get that plain paper notarized..or do I need to get all this printed on stamp paper and get it signed by manager and notarize it. What about the company seal at the bottom. Does he need to mention just his contact number and signature. Do I need to do this separately for all the companies I have worked. If I have worked for 3 companies do I need 3 stamp papers notarized. What would be the format of self legal authorization. Do I mention all details for myself and sign it myself instead of manager's signature on self authorization Stan paper with notary.

Aamar

Nov 1, 2018
HOW TO GET/REQUEST REFERENCE LETTER FROM CURRENT EMPLOYER?

Reference Letter from employer plays a very important role as the document to prove your work experience for migration purposes. Many people have raised the issue on this forum that they are unable to get reference letter(s) from their employer for migration. I would like to highlight some points in this regard which worked for me and might as well work for you guys. After all you can give it a try, and if it works for you, good for you. If you have explored better ways of addressing this issue, please mention it here, so that others can also learn and approach it in a manner which will help them

Requesting a reference letter is an art, it all depends on your rapport with your manager/supervisor. If I were you, I would follow the steps given below, after all you are not moving to a competitor, you are only trying for a better life, which is not wrong at all.

1. Win Confidence - If you can win your manager's confidence, then you can let him know this over a causal chat. The best way to approach is in the form of asking your manager's advise on you moving to another country. Even if you do not like the current job, never ever do the mistake of complaining and citing it as the reason for migration. Instead, try to relate it with your personal aspirations, ambitions and quality of life and what you want to do with your life. If you ask for advise, it is an indirect way of flattering the manager and it will also make him feel that you consider him as a mentor, but do not overdo it :). This approach will definitely work, because we humans by our very nature love to advise others :). Listen to his views on the same, do not get demotivated in case he does not see immigration as a good way to better one's life. In fact, it is his view, and you have anyway made up your mind to migrate. After all, you used this approach only to put this situation to him. If you are successful in this approach, then you have laid the foundation

2. Request Reference - Next ask him whether he would be willing to refer you in case you plan to migrate in future, never give him an indication that it is immediate, otherwise he will feel that you have made up your mind to move and the thoughts of replacing you would be running in his mind. You can give an indication about it and also assure your manager that you will be around for at least a year, so that you safeguard your job even if Canada does not go through as expected. If you put it this way, he will be more than happy and willing to refer you. But sometimes, even if he is willing to refer you, he may not have the right to issue a letter, so that is where the next step comes into picture.

3. Leverage Authority/Position - If you are successful in doing the above, you have crossed 50% of the hurdle. The next important step is to convince HR to issue a letter in the required format. This is a very crucial step, so leverage your manager's authority/position and request your manager to speak to HR on your behalf and convince them about your requirement and also let him assure HR that the whole process would take at least a year (keeping buffer in mind :) ) and you would stick around for the said time being. Yes, this is the difficult part of assuring them, but you need to make a commitment (at least verbally) to stick around - if you need the letter badly, this is the least that you can do. This works in most of the cases, as they know that you may leave sometime in future and if they have to find a replacement, they know when to start the process. If this step does not work, then, from step 2 move to the step below.

4. Letter from Manager - If HR refuses to give you a letter, then ask your manager to issue you a letter on white paper (it should cover all the requisite points), along with a copy of his visiting card and company ID card and get the letter notarized. Submit it along with a Letter of Explanation (LOE).

LOE should cover the following points.
- State the reason why you cannot get a reference letter from employer, if you have any evidence to support you statement, please mention it and also attach it along with the letter.
- In absence of the letter, mention what proactive steps you have taken to prove your work experience.
- Mention the list of documents which you are submitting, in the absence of the reference letter.
- Request the Case Officer to consider your case in light of your situation and also in terms of the proactive steps taken by you to submit best alternative documentary evidence.

All the best! :)
What if the manager is not working in your previous company..can he provide details of his new company ID card and visiting details.

hitesh0414

Apr 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 December, 2016
AOR Received.
10 December, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November,2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
Hi everyone,

Experienced people please respond.

I have a question. I am applying for express entry PR for my sister. She is working as CA in a very small firm ( 4 employees including her and two owner partners and an assistant). The problem is in reference letter. The firm owner is ready to write reference letter for her with all the required details but certain concerns are there:

1. Since it is a very small firm so there is no registered letter head. ( They have their own version by just writing the name and address of the firm on top)
2. No website, no landline number, only owner's mobile number and gmail id is there to contact. So hard to verify physically.
3. The office is registered at some other address ( which they will write on letter head) but no one operates from there. ( registered address is in different city but operating address in different city)
4. She is paid salary every month via cheque ( can be proved from bank staements, but no salary slips, no appointment letter. For our safety we have kept scanned copies of cheques from last three months. luckily the account from which the cheque comes is in the name of firm only.

I do not know with all this, we will be able to prove her employment, so what else can be shown which is accepted by IRCC.

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

Experienced people please respond.

I have a question. I am applying for express entry PR for my sister. She is working as CA in a very small firm ( 4 employees including her and two owner partners and an assistant). The problem is in reference letter. The firm owner is ready to write reference letter for her with all the required details but certain concerns are there:

1. Since it is a very small firm so there is no registered letter head. ( They have their own version by just writing the name and address of the firm on top)
2. No website, no landline number, only owner's mobile number and gmail id is there to contact. So hard to verify physically.
3. The office is registered at some other address ( which they will write on letter head) but no one operates from there. ( registered address is in different city but operating address in different city)
4. She is paid salary every month via cheque ( can be proved from bank staements, but no salary slips, no appointment letter. For our safety we have kept scanned copies of cheques from last three months. luckily the account from which the cheque comes is in the name of firm only.

I do not know with all this, we will be able to prove her employment, so what else can be shown which is accepted by IRCC.
Can the company be shown by google search?

hitesh0414

Apr 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 December, 2016
AOR Received.
10 December, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November,2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
Can the company be shown by google search?
No, it is just a small firm, running in two rooms in a bureau type building, with only 4 employees including the owners.