+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

victor1061

Jan 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
I am facing a situation from my previous employer a renowned MNC firm which got taken over not more than a year after I left the organization. And because of the entire change in policies I just can't seem to reach any H.R team to assist me in getting a reference letter, nor am I in touch with my manager. Is there any way to create a supporting document in my case to show my experience. I only have a relieving letter mentioning my position and time I worked on the company letter head with a few pay slips from the time.

newtocanada2017

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
I am facing a situation from my previous employer a renowned MNC firm which got taken over not more than a year after I left the organization. And because of the entire change in policies I just can't seem to reach any H.R team to assist me in getting a reference letter, nor am I in touch with my manager. Is there any way to create a supporting document in my case to show my experience. I only have a relieving letter mentioning my position and time I worked on the company letter head with a few pay slips from the time.
A renowned MNC giving all job duties is uncommon - heard very few people who got it in exact format. Most people have been using combination of relieveing latter on company letter head + Job duties letter from coworker/manager on plain paper + salary slips/tax forms. You can keep trying to reach the HR but as a backup get in touch with ex-manager or ex-worker and see if they can sign you job duty letter on plain paper and attach their ID card/business card. If you can get it notarized even better but read few cases on forum where non notarized letter from co-worker/manager has also worked.

Reactions: victor1061

victor1061

Jan 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
A renowned MNC giving all job duties is uncommon - heard very few people who got it in exact format. Most people have been using combination of relieveing latter on company letter head + Job duties letter from coworker/manager on plain paper + salary slips/tax forms. You can keep trying to reach the HR but as a backup get in touch with ex-manager or ex-worker and see if they can sign you job duty letter on plain paper and attach their ID card/business card. If you can get it notarized even better but read few cases on forum where non notarized letter from co-worker/manager has also worked.
It's the same for me my relieving letter doesn't have my duties or working hours mentioned. Moreover my previous company was taken over so now the parent company is running the business and I'm not sure if the previous employees are still there in the organization. Which has made the reference letter retrieval a big problem.

newtocanada2017

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
It's the same for me my relieving letter doesn't have my duties or working hours mentioned. Moreover my previous company was taken over so now the parent company is running the business and I'm not sure if the previous employees are still there in the organization. Which has made the reference letter retrieval a big problem.
You ex manager/ex colleague can still write a reference letter for you, in the letter they can say at end "I am attaching my relieving letter to confirm I was bona fide employee of the company from xx-yy to xx-yy" and attach their own relieving letter from the company to prove they were working with you for the duration of your work experience. See if you can get it that way and explain in LOE that you are not able to get job duties from your ex-employer. You have managed to get job duties letter from your ex-manager/ex-coworker". Make sure their Linked-In profiles are updated and matches the timeframe they worked as per their reference letter.

I am myself strugling to get verification from my own employer.....the standard format would not include joining date. So I am getting job duties from ex-coworker also mentioning I was working 40 hours/week. For salary I am going to use appraisal letters, tax forms and for joining date I am going to utilize appoitnment letter and explain that in LOE. Keep trying hard.

Search forum and read comments by senior members like stanlee and DEEPCUR. They have gone through the same.

Everyone struggles with reference letter, you are not alone. Keep trying.....you will get alternatives, read forums and you will gain confidence in using alternatives.

victor1061

Jan 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
You ex manager/ex colleague can still write a reference letter for you, in the letter they can say at end "I am attaching my relieving letter to confirm I was bona fide employee of the company from xx-yy to xx-yy" and attach their own relieving letter from the company to prove they were working with you for the duration of your work experience. See if you can get it that way and explain in LOE that you are not able to get job duties from your ex-employer. You have managed to get job duties letter from your ex-manager/ex-coworker". Make sure their Linked-In profiles are updated and matches the timeframe they worked as per their reference letter.

I am myself strugling to get verification from my own employer.....the standard format would not include joining date. So I am getting job duties from ex-coworker also mentioning I was working 40 hours/week. For salary I am going to use appraisal letters, tax forms and for joining date I am going to utilize appoitnment letter and explain that in LOE. Keep trying hard.

Search forum and read comments by senior members like stanlee and DEEPCUR. They have gone through the same.

Everyone struggles with reference letter, you are not alone. Keep trying.....you will get alternatives, read forums and you will gain confidence in using alternatives.
Thank You so much! Will do my best!

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Couple of questions regarding employment reference letters, can anyone please help?
1. One of the previous organizations (A) have been bought over by another MNC (B), which in turn was bought by C after my spouse left. She is going to contact the HR of the new organization (C) for the reference letter. Even though the experience was in A, but obviously we can get it in the letterhead of C. Apart from the regular content required for the reference letter like type of employment, hours/week, annual salary, job responsibilities etc. should anything more be included to establish the connection between A and C?
2. For another of previous organization (D), it has been shut down after she left and the promoter CEO of D has jointly started a new company (E) with other partners. She is going to contact the ex-CEO of D to provide the reference letter. How should the letter be worded in addition to include the necessary information, and will a letter in the letterhead of D be sufficient?
In both these cases, apart from the reference letters, what other documents should we keep ready to be attached to application, as both of them are not straightforward

Last edited:

newtocanada2017

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
Couple of questions regarding employment reference letters, can anyone please help?
1. One of the previous organizations (A) have been bought over by another MNC (B) after my spouse left. She is going to contact the HR of the new organization (B) for the reference letter. Even though the experience was in A, but obviously we can get it in the letterhead of B. Apart from the regular content required for the reference letter like type of employment, hours/week, annual salary, job responsibilities etc. should anything more be included to establish the connection between A and B?
2. For another of previous organization (C), it has been shut down after she left and the promoter CEO of C has jointly started a new company (D) with other partners. She is going to contact the ex-CEO of C to provide the reference letter. How should the letter be worded in addition to include the necessary information, and will a letter in the letterhead of D be sufficient?
For Question 1 - My joining Company A was taken over by B which was finally taken over by Company C. Company C provided me with letter when I went for US visa stamping regarding change of name form A to B to C. Its a generic letter not addressed to employee but to US consulate. Check if there is any co-worker still working for same company who has such letter.

Moreover in reference letter issued on Company B letter head for my visa processed , I have seen in small 5 size font in bottom mentioning company A being taken by B and name being changed effective xx-yy-dddd date mentioned.

May be google and find articles related to Company A to B acquisition and include the link/screenshot in LOE (just a suggestion).

Ask senior members for more advice. I am not expert -but just a suggestion.

shivanisha

Sep 25, 2018
I am an Indian CA doing practice as partner in a CA firm . what documents should i arrange for express entry application process. Please reply.

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
For Question 1 - My joining Company A was taken over by B which was finally taken over by Company C. Company C provided me with letter when I went for US visa stamping regarding change of name form A to B to C. Its a generic letter not addressed to employee but to US consulate. Check if there is any co-worker still working for same company who has such letter.

Moreover in reference letter issued on Company B letter head for my visa processed , I have seen in small 5 size font in bottom mentioning company A being taken by B and name being changed effective xx-yy-dddd date mentioned.

May be google and find articles related to Company A to B acquisition and include the link/screenshot in LOE (just a suggestion).

Ask senior members for more advice. I am not expert -but just a suggestion.
Thanks for sharing your experience. In my spouse case also, it has been A->B->C My spouse indeed has at least one senior colleague still in the organization through whom only she is approaching HR. I'll ask to check for that letter. Will ask senior members for more advice as well.

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
1. One of the previous organizations (A) have been bought over by another MNC (B), which in turn was bought by C after my spouse left. She is going to contact the HR of the new organization (C) for the reference letter. Even though the experience was in A, but obviously we can get it in the letterhead of C. Apart from the regular content required for the reference letter like type of employment, hours/week, annual salary, job responsibilities etc. should anything more be included to establish the connection between A and C?
2. For another of previous organization (D), it has been shut down after she left and the promoter CEO of D has jointly started a new company (E) with other partners. She is going to contact the ex-CEO of D to provide the reference letter. How should the letter be worded in addition to include the necessary information, and will a letter in the letterhead of D be sufficient?
In both these cases, apart from the reference letters, what other documents should we keep ready to be attached to application, as both of them are not straightforward
@Maverick28 @DelPiero07 @bimale4bipeople @Stanlee can any of you please help with my queries?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
@Maverick28 @DelPiero07 @bimale4bipeople @Stanlee can any of you please help with my queries?
Should anything more be included to establish the connection between A and C - A reference by the Org C mentioning the acquisition of the organization will be ideal or otherwise you can provide a LoE and include a link on the internet which highlights this acquisition

For another of previous organization (D) - The executive can provide her the letter detailing the experience (as per the IRCC norms) and mention that this organization ceased to exist as part of declaration

Although not mandatory but can come in handy is payslips(first 3 months and last 3 months, or last 6 months if available), joining/offer/employment letter.. these are i would say backup documentation for supplementing the letter of reference nothing more..

Reactions: samikdg

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Should anything more be included to establish the connection between A and C - A reference by the Org C mentioning the acquisition of the organization will be ideal or otherwise you can provide a LoE and include a link on the internet which highlights this acquisition

For another of previous organization (D) - The executive can provide her the letter detailing the experience (as per the IRCC norms) and mention that this organization ceased to exist as part of declaration

Although not mandatory but can come in handy is payslips(first 3 months and last 3 months, or last 6 months if available), joining/offer/employment letter.. these are i would say backup documentation for supplementing the letter of reference nothing more..
Thanks man, you are always there to answer my complex questions :D
One supplementary question: is the 3 year period for foreign work experience calculated as a duration in months, or in exact dates? e.g. 29 June,2009 - 27 Sep, 2001 will it be counted as 2 years 4 months (calculation in months) or 2 years 3 months (date calculation)?

g90

Sep 26, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello seniors,
I’m new here. I’ve a question regarding my job experience. I’m working as a government teacher since Feb 2011. But I am still working on contract. However my entire job experience of seven years is regular, not even a break of a single day. I have heard that CIC does not count contract job experience. Is it really so?

Also I got a transfer about three and a half year ago. So will it be fine if I submit proofs of last three and half year from my current school and put the experience of my past school in my Personal History Folder without submitting any proofs as I will get maximum points for three years only.
Please help.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks man, you are always there to answer my complex questions :D
One supplementary question: is the 3 year period for foreign work experience calculated as a duration in months, or in exact dates? e.g. 29 June,2009 - 27 Sep, 2001 will it be counted as 2 years 4 months (calculation in months) or 2 years 3 months (date calculation)?
The system calculates as per MM/YYYY

Reactions: samikdg

FarzanHyder

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
Hi friends. I have a small query regarding the reference letter

1. COMPANY A - I have all the necessary details in the given format mentioning the roles and responsibilities, date of joining and date of exit along with the salary paid and hours worked, designation worked in, full time or part time. It is signed by the project manager on letter head with company stamp.

1. COMPANY B - I had already taken a reference letter earlier(while i was working there) with all details mentioned same as COMPANY A, except that there is no date of exit from the company and it is mentioned like currently working there. Upon asking further they are denying to give the letter again as i'm not working there anymore. However i worked in the same designation and same salary until i left.

So can i submit the same reference letter for COMPANY B. For date of exit i can submit my experience certificate.

Thanks in advance