+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DelPiero07 said:
Oh gosh what I was thinking - 1 and 2 are the same, a decrease from 3 to 2 is what would decrease one's foreign work score.

I scared you for nothing :p

Edit: so you have until April 2018.
2018 By then I'll holding my PR 8)

unless I got nominated by OINP hahahaha :p

vaibhav007us

Jun 1, 2016
Hi, I have worked at multiple positions in an organization for past 9 years - In the form post ITA can I just mention in one line my current designation or I need to mention every position separately?

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
vaibhav007us said:
Hi, I have worked at multiple positions in an organization for past 9 years - In the form post ITA can I just mention in one line my current designation or I need to mention every position separately?
If you have one reference letter for all these positions, you can mention it in one line.

corolla110

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
Need your help here.
Following is my work experience time line
2011-08 to 2012-08 ->Company A
2012-08 to 2014-07 ->Company B
2014-08 to 2016-09 -> Company C
2016-09 to present -> Freelance

Problem is in freelance period. I do not have any contract, prove of payment, prove of working hours or any. So I scratched it out from my ITA. Will CIC ask what was I have being doing since 2016-09? Will it be a problem.?

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
corolla110 said:
Hi All,
Need your help here.
Following is my work experience time line
2011-08 to 2012-08 ->Company A
2012-08 to 2014-07 ->Company B
2014-08 to 2016-09 -> Company C
2016-09 to present -> Freelance

Problem is in freelance period. I do not have any contract, prove of payment, prove of working hours or any. So I scratched it out from my ITA. Will CIC ask what was I have being doing since 2016-09? Will it be a problem.?
Yes, they will ask, and you will fill that in your personal history section, and won't need any reference letter or proof to substantiate it.

kenok

Star Member
May 19, 2016
Hi Guys,
I have asked this question earlier but did not get a reply. My boss does not mention the bonuses/benefits in the proof of employment letter, he only states the basic salary. I have sufficient funds, wondering if this would be an issue cos basically the amount credited to my account monthly is higher than what is stated in the letter

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
kenok said:
Hi Guys,
I have asked this question earlier but did not get a reply. My boss does not mention the bonuses/benefits in the proof of employment letter, he only states the basic salary. I have sufficient funds, wondering if this would be an issue cos basically the amount credited to my account monthly is higher than what is stated in the letter
That's not an issue...as they are not interested in the amount as long as the job is paid, amount is immaterial.

udaisv1

Dec 23, 2016
Hi,

One more question regarding reference letter. I am currently working in a bank in Canada. I was in three different designations until now, out of which only one is eligible for points (in this position, I was in for more than a year) - my current designation is also eligible for points, but its just been 4 months, so doesn't matter.

Question is regarding the format. This is the format I have prepared:

<date>

To whom it may concern:

This letter is to confirm that <XXX> (employee id) has been working with <company_name>, since <joining_date> and he is currently working at <address> as <current_designation>. He is working on regular full-time basis. His roles, service periods and other details are as given below:

Employee ID: ---

Title: current designation (not eligible for points)
Service date:
working hours:
Employee type:
Salary:
Benefits:

Repeat the above for previous designation (eligible for points) - mentioned with NOC

Repeat the above again for the first designation (not eligible for points)

<XXX>'s job responsibilities as <second_designation> are as outlined below:
--- all job duties

If you need further information, you can please contact us.

<Signature>
<details>

Question: Is it enough to list the job duties only for the eligible designation as above or do I have to include for all?

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
Udai

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
udaisv1 said:
Hi,

One more question regarding reference letter. I am currently working in a bank in Canada. I was in three different designations until now, out of which only one is eligible for points (in this position, I was in for more than a year) - my current designation is also eligible for points, but its just been 4 months, so doesn't matter.

Question is regarding the format. This is the format I have prepared:

<date>

To whom it may concern:

This letter is to confirm that <XXX> (employee id) has been working with <company_name>, since <joining_date> and he is currently working at <address> as <current_designation>. He is working on regular full-time basis. His roles, service periods and other details are as given below:

Employee ID: ---

Title: current designation (not eligible for points)
Service date:
working hours:
Employee type:
Salary:
Benefits:

Repeat the above for previous designation (eligible for points) - mentioned with NOC

Repeat the above again for the first designation (not eligible for points)

<XXX>'s job responsibilities as <second_designation> are as outlined below:
--- all job duties

If you need further information, you can please contact us.

<Signature>
<details>

Question: Is it enough to list the job duties only for the eligible designation as above or do I have to include for all?

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
Udai
I don't think duration of designations within a company doesn't matter unless your responsibilities kept differing with every designation . All you need is 12 continuous months in one company in one NOC. You are over complicating this. Just get one letter with all designations and uniform responsibilities.

Here is what the CIC website says:

Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same job,
within the last 10 years, and

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

udaisv1

Dec 23, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
I don't think duration of designations within a company doesn't matter unless your responsibilities kept differing with every designation . All you need is 12 continuous months in one company in one NOC. You are over complicating this. Just get one letter with all designations and uniform responsibilities.

Here is what the CIC website says:

Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same job,
within the last 10 years, and
Hi,

Thank you for reply.

Yes, my responsibilities in each designation is different. Moreover, my first designation is under skill type C (customer service rep), and the second designation is under skill type B (financial services rep, 6235, for 13 months, so claiming points for this), and the current designation is under skill type 0 (manager, 0122, from Nov last year).

But, yeah, I think I should consider the point in the NOC that progression to higher levels is possible, but if I have to combine all responsibilities, then it will turn out into awfully lot of responsibilities in the letter.

Do you still think that I should just mention the designations and combine the responsibilities of my skill type B and skill type 0 roles?

Please clarify.

corolla110

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all
Need expert advice,

I have worked in three companies for last 5 years. When I moved to company 2 to company 3, I had one week gap (a vacation).
Will this be a problem as CIC ask for continuous work record.
company 1 - 1st Aug 2011 to 17 Aug 2012
Company 2 - 18 Aug 2012 to 23 June 2014 took a vacation
Company 3 - 1st Aug 2014 to 30 Sep 2016

Thank you!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corolla110 said:
Hi all
Need expert advice,

I have worked in three companies for last 5 years. When I moved to company 2 to company 3, I had one week gap (a vacation).
Will this be a problem as CIC ask for continuous work record.
company 1 - 1st Aug 2011 to 17 Aug 2012
Company 2 - 18 Aug 2012 to 23 June 2014 took a vacation
Company 3 - 1st Aug 2014 to 30 Sep 2016

Thank you!
You only need one year of continuous work experience, you can have gaps after that.

adanac_ati

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Hi Guys,

For my previous organisation which i left in 2003 ( 14 yrs now) ; i have a experience letter just stating:

He was an employee from DATE till DATE. He worked as Software Engineer.

This does not mention any weekly hours, duties etc. I understand this wont be counted towards any points; because foreign work exp max out after 3 yrs.

But am in dilemma
i) Should i add this experience and attach a LOE with the experience letter OR
ii) Remove this from Work History and leave it in Personal history and add a LOE.

I see option ii) is being suggested in multiple threads. Has anyone successfully used this approach before and got a PPR ?

Experts please sugest.

Vitam

Feb 7, 2017
I've read somewhere else on this forum that you don't need to notarize your colleague's reference letter anymore
can you confirm if business card/contact info is sufficient?

rajkamalmohanram said:
Good post, Stanlee.

I would like to mention my experience here. I tried my best to get a letter on the letterhead (for my OINP application). I contacted my manager first and requested him to provide a letter (I showed him the format). My manager refused to give me the letter (because he said he is not authorized to provide such a letter). I then e-mailed the HR and asked them to provide such a letter on the letterhead! I pursued them for 3 full weeks but to no avail.

I got the letter from the HR in the standard format of the company (It mentions only my name, date of joining, designation and employee ID). Then, I got the letter from a senior colleague in the required format in a plain paper. I suggest all applicants to get this letter notarized. To sum up, I submitted the following documents to OINP -

1) Letter of explanation for reference letter
2) Copy of the Standard format of the company’s letter
3) Reference letter(with all necessary details) by a senior colleague
4) Copy of the senior colleague's company ID card
5) Copy of Email – 1 from the HR
6) Copy of Email – 2 from HR
7) Copy of the company’s HR policy
8 ) Copy of pay scale letter for 2015
9) Copy of pay scale letter for 2014
10) Copy of the pay slips for the past 6 months
11) Copy of appointment letter [joining letter]
12) Copy of initial job offer letter

Luckily, my application was accepted by OINP and I got my AOR. As you can see, I cannot provide any more documentation to prove my work - I had submitted ALL the documents that I had.

So, if your letter is not on the letterhead, you can just go ahead and submit a letter from your supervisor/colleague & get it notarized. Please note that the name, phone number, official E-mail ID and the designation of the person giving the reference MUST be mentioned on the letter. If you provide comprehensive documentation, it is likely that OINP/CIC will be satisfied and proceed with your application.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
What if the supervisor who gave the reference letter leaves the company after e-APR? The official email given the letter would not work and a verification email might bounce back. Is there something that could be done for this? My previous supervisor is actively looking for jobs, and I would be submitting my application next month. He might be working when I submit the application, but not sure how long after that.

Also, if in case he resigns before I submit my application, do I need to include a proof for his employment too? As I won't be able to attach his id card.