+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
The address in that link is confusing. It says all FSW applications dealt with at Sydney central office. But when you click on the address and go through to economic classes, it says that address is for 'Non Express Entry' and there isn't one for EE...

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Berty3000 said:
The address in that link is confusing. It says all FSW applications dealt with at Sydney central office. But when you click on the address and go through to economic classes, it says that address is for 'Non Express Entry' and there isn't one for EE...
That's because there is no mailing address because it's all online. The address doesn't matter at all but if an employer insists just choose Ottawa. It's going online anyway.

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re-posting my query:

I'm with the same employer do the past 10 years, with varying role as my career unfolded. I'm sure my employer won't give me the reference letter... As is the casewith most of service based companies in India. My supervisor won't support either for the reference letter. Can I get the letter from my colleague, list 10 years of experience, list all roles and detail only current role with the responsibilities. Please let me know if this is a good enough approach

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ldrbjp said:
Re-posting my query:

I'm with the same employer do the past 10 years, with varying role as my career unfolded. I'm sure my employer won't give me the reference letter... As is the casewith most of service based companies in India. My supervisor won't support either for the reference letter. Can I get the letter from my colleague, list 10 years of experience, list all roles and detail only current role with the responsibilities. Please let me know if this is a good enough approach
Ideally get proof (e-mails) that they are refusing to provide such letter and then you can get a notarized declaration of your colleague stating your duties and responsibilities.

schemingon

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
hello there,
My employer has a standard format for experience letter which cover most of the things that CIC asks for , expcept job description and no of work hours in a week.

For job description, I do have a letter from the employer itself(in letter head) which was printed back in 2013, when they applied for my canada work permit. Can someone tell me whether this 3 year old letter would suffice for JD?

Also for No of hours worked: My experience letter already says I am a permanent employee. Do i need to get another letter from my manager to prove I work 40 hours in a week.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
schemingon said:
hello there,
My employer has a standard format for experience letter which cover most of the things that CIC asks for , expcept job description and no of work hours in a week.

For job description, I do have a letter from the employer itself(in letter head) which was printed back in 2013, when they applied for my canada work permit. Can someone tell me whether this 3 year old letter would suffice for JD?

Also for No of hours worked: My experience letter already says I am a permanent employee. Do i need to get another letter from my manager to prove I work 40 hours in a week.
Having a permanent job doesn't mean you're working full time. You need a new letter.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Ideally get proof (e-mails) that they are refusing to provide such letter and then you can get a notarized declaration of your colleague stating your duties and responsibilities.
Hi Del

I have a related question on this. What to do if we don't have such a proof of refusal for giving a letter on letterhead?

My employer gave me a letter on letterhead for a different purpose around two years back (not for Canadian PR) and they issue it only once as a matter of policy. The letter I have is not easily comprehensible (for NOC 2174) due to the usage of programming/technical terms. NOC folks couldn't understand it and asked to go by judgement, and I expect the same with IRCC.

They are a big company and won't issue letter second time with different content, and if I ask again, they might respond saying it was already provided. I can get a supervisor letter from one of my previous supervisor, but how do I justify for not providing reference letter on letter head.

Except for this responsibilities letter, I have service letter (mentioning employment duration and salary) on letter head, appraisal letters and pay slips too. I really don't want to push the unsuitable letter in letterhead along with supervisor letter in a different content which could make things appear that I tailored my responsibilities for PR through my supervisor.

Thanks.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DEEPCUR said:
Hi Del

I have a related question on this. What to do if we don't have such a proof of refusal for giving a letter on letterhead?

My employer gave me a letter on letterhead for a different purpose around two years back (not for Canadian PR) and they issue it only once as a matter of policy. The letter I have is not easily comprehensible (for NOC 2174) due to the usage of programming/technical terms. NOC folks couldn't understand it and asked to go by judgement, and I expect the same with IRCC.

They are a big company and won't issue letter second time with different content, and if I ask again, they might respond saying it was already provided. I can get a supervisor letter from one of my previous supervisor, but how do I justify for not providing reference letter on letter head.

Except for this responsibilities letter, I have service letter (mentioning employment duration and salary) on letter head, appraisal letters and pay slips too. I really don't want to push the unsuitable letter in letterhead along with supervisor letter in a different content which could make things appear that I tailored my responsibilities for PR through my supervisor.

Thanks.
If he states your duties and responsibilities and you notarize this then this letter does not have to be in company letterhead.

Ideally get an e-mail from your HR deparment refusing to provide a new letter.

schemingon

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
DelPiero07 said:
Having a permanent job doesn't mean you're working full time. You need a new letter.
Thanks Del Piero. I get that. How about the Job description? Will the letter that was printed on 2013 suffice. That was created by the company when they applied for my work permit and has even NOC code with detailed job descriptions.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
If he states your duties and responsibilities and you notarize this then this letter does not have to be in company letterhead.

Ideally get an e-mail from your HR deparment refusing to provide a new letter.
Thanks. By any chance, if am not able to get such a refusal letter and if I just mention in LOE that my employer did not provide me a letter in the format requested by CIC, would that be okay?

Indeed the letter they provide does not have many things requested by CIC such as all designations held, hours worked etc and just has responsibilities, duration, last held designation and contact info.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
schemingon said:
Thanks Del Piero. I get that. How about the Job description? Will the letter that was printed on 2013 suffice. That was created by the company when they applied for my work permit and has even NOC code with detailed job descriptions.
Yes, that could work.

But I mean if you're going to ask them to write a new letter to include the hours of work you might as well ask them to also include duties/responsibilities.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DEEPCUR said:
Thanks. By any chance, if am not able to get such a refusal letter and if I just mention in LOE that my employer did not provide me a letter in the format requested by CIC, would that be okay?

Indeed the letter they provide does not have many things requested by CIC such as all designations held, hours worked etc and just has responsibilities, duration, last held designation and contact info.
That's fine.

schemingon

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
DelPiero07 said:
Yes, that could work.

But I mean if you're going to ask them to write a new letter to include the hours of work you might as well ask them to also include duties/responsibilities.
Sure I will. Thanks Del Piero.