+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAFTA temporary work visa/permit YVR airport experience

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
Since I've benefited from being a fly on the wall here, I thought I'd share my experience getting both a Nafta 2 year temporary work permit/visa - and a spousal open work permit.

Long story short, we have been planning on moving to Canada for a year now. And we found (for us) the best way to get in and get on a PR track was by starting with a NAFTA visa.

My wife was offered a consulting gig with a startup company and we went through the process of obtaining a closed work permit/Nafta visa as a management consultant.

I thought I'd share our experience in applying for (and getting) our 2 year NAFTA work visas at the Vancouver airport (yvr) POE.

Hopefully this will help some of you!

Documents we brought to airport:
  1. US Passport
  2. Marriage certificate (for proof of maiden name on college degrees)
  3. College degree docs (copy of diploma and transcripts)
  4. Employer contact info
  5. Employer contractor agreement
  6. Employer proof of incorporation document/tax filing document
  7. Resume

The process:
  1. Landed in Vancouver (yvr airport) at 9:30am
  2. Went through customs (automated kiosk)
  3. Went to immigration checkpoint and told officer we were applying for temporary work visas
  4. Officer directed us to go pick up our bags and head to the main immigration center (easy to find - lots of signs)
  5. We got bags and went to immigration center (not far from baggage claim)
  6. Waited about 5 minutes and went to the immigration officer and handed all the documents and requested 2 year permits
  7. Officer had us sit down while reviewing the documents
  8. After 10-minutes, we were called back up and asked a couple questions
  9. We received our visas. My wife received a closed work permit and I received an open work permit
  10. Out of the airport at 10:30am

All in all... if you have all your docs in order, getting the NAFTA work visa is a simple process.

I hope this helps some folks!