+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAFTA Professional job requirements...

Jul 22, 2011
I'm an experienced Special Education teacher from the US and currently living in Ontario with my family. I received a job offer as a "Residential Counsellor" at a residential facility for individuals with Autism/Aspergers. While the job is not labeled as a "Recreational Therapist" (one of the approved NAFTA categories), the job responsibilities line up ENOUGH that I feel confident in applying at the border. Does anyone have any experience in applying for a NAFTA job at the CDN border and can recommend language to be used in my documenation? I don't have money to pay an immigration lawyer to do the paperwork and want to be successful when applying...

Thanks

visagirl

Apr 2, 2012
Hi
I'm in a similar situation. I've been offered a job that is very close to recreational therapist in terms of duties, but not specifically called that.
Did you have any success? Does anyone here know of alternate titles that are also acceptable (e.g. activity leader)?

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I copied this from Alberta's immigration website "You can also contact the CIC temporary foreign worker unit to determine if your prospective worker is LMO-exempt."

You should have your prospective employer call the number for your province to be sure. The job title does not have to match but the job duties do. Then all you need is letter of the job offer and whatever supporting documents are needed and apply for your permit at POE.

If you aren't already familiar with it, you may want to check out the Foreign Worker's Manual. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf
NAFTA info starts on page 155.