Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Hi everyone. I posted this on the temporary worker forum last week but haven't received a response. Perhaps someone on here might know?

My fiance is Canadian and I am American. I was just informed about a job opportunity (instructor at university - temporary because it is one term) in which I am going to apply. I researched and found that an instructor will qualify under NAFTA but just want some confirmation. I'd like to give the university as much information about how *easy* it is to hire me as possible.

Also, if this is true that I can apply at the border with my offer letter in hand? Is that it, just fill out a few forms when crossing?

Am I allowed to bring any furniture in?

With or without this job I will be applying for PR after we are married but this position may help speed up the timeline of when we can live together.

What are your thoughts?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
If you get the job offer, you would take your offer of employment letter ( I believe it needs to outline the position, responsibilities, state full-time hours, salary), show up at the POE adn pay $150 for the work permit.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take a look at the instructions for US and Mexican residents entering under NAFTA starting on page 167 for the detailed requirements to apply with your offer letter at the point of entry under the NAFTA.

Regarding furniture, it'll be a bit tricky (given that your fiance(e) is a Canadian and your dual intent to live with your other half) since, for temporary importation the goods cannot be used by a resident of Canada. You may be better off waiting to import the goods when you land after you complete your B4.

Take a look at CBSA's FW01 for details

"Entering Canada to work or study

When entering Canada to work for less than 36 months or to study, you can temporarily import your personal and household goods (such as furniture, tableware, silverware, appliances and motor vehicles) duty-and tax-free, as long as the following conditions are met:

The goods cannot be used by a resident of Canada;
You are not permitted to sell or otherwise dispose of the goods in Canada; and
You must take all non-consumable items with you when you leave the country at the end of your temporary residence.

Preparing to enter Canada

Prior to their arrival in Canada, temporary residents are advised to prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all items to be imported temporarily, indicating the approximate value, make, model and serial number, where applicable.

Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

Declaring your goods

When you arrive in Canada, you should give your list of goods that are accompanying you to the border services officer at the first point of arrival in Canada. The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B, Temporary Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records.

On arrival, you are required to provide adequate identification and proof of your status in Canada (i.e., documentation issued by CBSA/CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada), such as your work permit or study permit). If you are entering Canada to work, you should provide a letter of introduction from your employer.

While you are in Canada
Personal exemptions

After the initial arrival to take up residence in Canada, temporary residents may not claim free importation of alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or other consumable items under the temporary resident entitlement. Such commodities may, however, be imported under the personal exemption entitlements as described in the publication called Travelling Outside Canada available on the CBSA Web site or by calling the Border Information Service at one of the telephone numbers listed in the section "Additional information".

Renewing your temporary admission permit (goods)

Temporary residents are reminded to pay attention to the date when the temporary admission permit for their goods is due to expire. A few days before it expires, visit your local CBSA office and arrange for a renewal. The border services officer will want to know if you still have in your possession all the non-consumable goods you brought with you to Canada and whether you have changed your address and telephone number.

Should you change your immigration status with CIC after arriving in Canada, or decide to work for a period longer than 36 months, it is important that you notify the CBSA immediately since this may affect your residential status.

Leaving Canada

Once you have completed your work or studies in Canada and you are about to return to your permanent place of residence, advise the nearest CBSA office when and how your personal effects will be exported from Canada. The border services officer will tell you what steps you should take. Be sure to leave a forwarding address. Any refunds you are entitled to will be mailed to the address you provide."

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Thanks for the extra info OhCanadiana, I was able to put together an email where I outlined the info and attached that pdf doc with everything pertinent highlighted. Crossing my fingers HR accepts!

Also, I am so glad you told me about the temp goods importation. I had no idea that it was that big of a deal! The more I read the more I'm thinking of selling off my furniture. It's a shame since my sofa is less than a year old but importing it seems like such a hassle. How will they know about kitchen supplies though? That, clothes, and work information are really the only things I feel I need to take.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tinytortoise said:
Thanks for the extra info OhCanadiana, I was able to put together an email where I outlined the info and attached that pdf doc with everything pertinent highlighted. Crossing my fingers HR accepts!
Glad it helped. Hope you get the job - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. :)

tinytortoise said:
Also, I am so glad you told me about the temp goods importation. I had no idea that it was that big of a deal! The more I read the more I'm thinking of selling off my furniture. It's a shame since my sofa is less than a year old but importing it seems like such a hassle. How will they know about kitchen supplies though? That, clothes, and work information are really the only things I feel I need to take.
I wouldn't sell your furniture if you like it. Can you keep it in storage in the US until your PR is approved? The B4 format is really simple to fill out especially if it's just a few items.

Alternatively, since you'll be living with your fiance(e) just stash it somewhere and have it be off-limits for him/her :p

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
Hm interesting about the possessions stuff. Depending how much you have, I might actually just show up at the border with it. I mean, you will be living with a Canadian spouse, but technically, a couch is something you need anyways, even if you were alone. I think that clause is meant for people bringing stuff SPECIFICALLY for a Canadian to use. It's like...once it's YOUR couch, you could choose to let your wife sit on it or not lol

I honestly don't think they would turn you around with some furniture, provided you don't have enough to fill a 4 bedroom house or somethig ridiculous. Storage fees until you get your PR would be hundreds of dollars.

That, or you could sell it I guess...