+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My work permit (with restrictions) runs out in 3 months, how do I renew?

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
Hi all,

My work permit is running out in 3 months but any time I look up how to renew/extend it all I can find is you can only do this if you don't have restrictions on your current permit (mine is employer based restriction). I'm really starting to get worried. I'm inland PNP and my PR application has been filed since April 2019. What can I do??

My timeline:

AR April 2019
AOR 28 April 2019
Upfront medical - June 2019
Medical request - Sept 2019
Medical pass - Sept 2019
PAL - Sept 2019
Medical Extension - Sept 2020
Update Document Request (Update IMM 5669 for details covering 2019 to Present) - Nov 2020

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all,

My work permit is running out in 3 months but any time I look up how to renew/extend it all I can find is you can only do this if you don't have restrictions on your current permit (mine is employer based restriction). I'm really starting to get worried. I'm inland PNP and my PR application has been filed since April 2019. What can I do??

My timeline:

AR April 2019
AOR 28 April 2019
Medical pass - Sept 2019
PAL - Sept 2019
Update Document Request (Update IMM 5669 for details covering 2019 to Present) - Nov 2020
You can submit bridging open work permit before it gets expired. If your pr application got approved before work permit is processed you will get refund of full amount . You don’t need to submit closed work permit now .

Reactions: Adaw

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
You can submit bridging open work permit before it gets expired. If your pr application got approved before work permit is processed you will get refund of full amount . You don’t need to submit closed work permit now .
I don't think I can get the bridging because the IRCC site says: "have no employment restrictions as a condition of your nomination"

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I don't think I can get the bridging because the IRCC site says: "have no employment restrictions as a condition of your nomination"
Do you have employment restrictions on nomination? If yes you have to apply for closed work permit and your employer have to pay compliance fees of $230 . First make sure you have restrictions or not ?

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
Do you have employment restrictions on nomination? If yes you have to apply for closed work permit and your employer have to pay compliance fees of $230 . First make sure you have restrictions or not ?
Yes, on the nomination letter it says only for my employer.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes, on the nomination letter it says only for my employer.
Unfortunately you have to apply for closed work permit again. Don’t rush in that, you can apply anytime before expiration. Just apply week before your another work permit expires maybe you don’t have to extend it . For closed work permit your employer have to submit offer of employment and pay $230 fees and you can apply for closed work permit and fees is $155 for closed work permit.

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
Unfortunately you have to apply for closed work permit again. Don’t rush in that, you can apply anytime before expiration. Just apply week before your another work permit expires maybe you don’t have to extend it . For closed work permit your employer have to submit offer of employment and pay $230 fees and you can apply for closed work permit and fees is $155 for closed work permit.
Thank you very much for your help, I didn't realize I could work while waiting for my new permit to come.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thank you very much for your help, I didn't realize I could work while waiting for my new permit to come.
Yes you are on implied status if you apply another work permit before your current one expired. You can continue to work under same conditions and same employer until decision is made on your application.

MaddieNg

Nov 12, 2020
Tho your nomination paper states your employer's name, "Restriction Of Employment" says No. Then it's considered no restriction. You're eligible for BOWP.

I hope it's a no for you

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
Tho your nomination paper states your employer's name, "Restriction Of Employment" says No. Then it's considered no restriction. You're eligible for BOWP.

I hope it's a no for you
Restrictions On Employment on my nomination paper says: "Yes: Same employer as work permit"

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes y
Restrictions On Employment on my nomination paper says: "Yes: Same employer as work permit"
o then have to apply for closed work permit bro . I told you before, your employer have to submit offer of employment through employer portal and pay $230 fees and he will give you a employment number starts with Axxxxxxx . You have to put that number in your work permit application along with other work permit documents and pnp certificate and work permit support letter. You can keep working when your wp expire as long as you submit another work permit application before current one expires. Let me know if you need any help.

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
Yes y

o then have to apply for closed work permit bro . I told you before, your employer have to submit offer of employment through employer portal and pay $230 fees and he will give you a employment number starts with Axxxxxxx . You have to put that number in your work permit application along with other work permit documents and pnp certificate and work permit support letter. You can keep working when your wp expire as long as you submit another work permit application before current one expires. Let me know if you need any help.
Hi, I appreciate the help! When it comes to the PNP cert. and work permit support letter, do I need to get new ones or just include the originals? I ask because they are now out of date (I applied for my PR before they went out of date)

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi, I appreciate the help! When it comes to the PNP cert. and work permit support letter, do I need to get new ones or just include the originals? I ask because they are now out of date (I applied for my PR before they went out of date)
I think your old one should o be fine but you can request new one online. Pnp work permit support letter is main than certificate but it’s good idea to request both new ones. When is your wp expiring?

Sukhi23

Aug 26, 2020
Hey. You have to get new nomination for your closed permit if the original was expired. And you have to apply for work permit 30 days before the expiry date of the current one.

Adaw

Nov 18, 2020
I think your old one should o be fine but you can request new one online. Pnp work permit support letter is main than certificate but it’s good idea to request both new ones. When is your wp expiring?
February 1st 2021. I was really hoping they'd finish my PR before then, but covid didn't help anything go faster.

AR April 2019
AOR 28 April 2019
Medical pass - Sept 2019
PAL - Sept 2019
Update Document Request - Updated IMM 5669 from 2019-Present - Nov 2020