+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Wife & Kids PR's renewal - I need an urgent advice

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
We ( Me , My wife & my 2 Kids ) landed in Sep 2015 . Our PR cards was issued on Nov 2015 . I stayed in Canada and they went back to Egypt . Now they are coming the next Year . June 2019 . Their PR's will expire by Nov 2020 and they won't meet the 730 days of residency required to renew their PR's . What should I do in that Case. If their PR's expired could I sponsor them again ? Do they need to Leave the country after their PR's are expired till I sponsor them again ? or they could stay while the process is in progress ?

I need and urgent advise

Thanks
Mahmoud

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First all that counts is you landing date and not when you PR card was issues or expired. You need to meet the 730 days within 5 years. Your wife and kids could be reported when they enter Canada. If reported you can try to appeal. You don't mention a good H&C reason for your family not meeting RO so they would likely lose their PR if reported. Yes you can sponsor them again if you have met your RO. It would take around a year for your wife and a little less for your kids. They could remain in Canada as visitors but wouldn't likely qualify for things like healthcare.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
We ( Me , My wife & my 2 Kids ) landed in Sep 2015 . Our PR cards was issued on Nov 2015 . I stayed in Canada and they went back to Egypt . Now they are coming the next Year . June 2019 . Their PR's will expire by Nov 2020 and they won't meet the 730 days of residency required to renew their PR's . What should I do in that Case. If their PR's expired could I sponsor them again ? Do they need to Leave the country after their PR's are expired till I sponsor them again ? or they could stay while the process is in progress ?

I need and urgent advise

Thanks
Mahmoud
Assuming that they manage to enter Canada without problems, they should stay in Canada until they are back in compliance with the Residency Obligations. Only after that should they make any attempt to renew their PR cards. It's ONLY the cards that expire, not PR status.

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
So during that year they co
Assuming that they manage to enter Canada without problems, they should stay in Canada until they are back in compliance with the Residency Obligations. Only after that should they make any attempt to renew their PR cards. It's ONLY the cards that expire, not PR status.
I mean they their PR expires on Nov 2020 , They will come on Jun 2019 so entering the country wouldn't be a problem . I'm just worried about when Nov 2020 come and I will submit a request to renew their PR's which won't be accepted . So could they stay in Canada with me till I sponsor them again ?

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
First all that counts is you landing date and not when you PR card was issues or expired. You need to meet the 730 days within 5 years. Your wife and kids could be reported when they enter Canada. If reported you can try to appeal. You don't mention a good H&C reason for your family not meeting RO so they would likely lose their PR if reported. Yes you can sponsor them again if you have met your RO. It would take around a year for your wife and a little less for your kids. They could remain in Canada as visitors but wouldn't likely qualify for things like healthcare.
Could they stay as visitor for one year till the sponsorship process is done ? And if so what about the schools ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So during that year they co

I mean they their PR expires on Nov 2020 , They will come on Jun 2019 so entering the country wouldn't be a problem . I'm just worried about when Nov 2020 come and I will submit a request to renew their PR's which won't be accepted . So could they stay in Canada with me till I sponsor them again ?
You really don't understand this.. They do NOT lose PR status when the cards expire. It's a travel document. You don't lose your citizenship when your passport expires.. Same thing.

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
You really don't understand this.. They do NOT lose PR status when the cards expire. It's a travel document. You don't lose your citizenship when your passport expires.. Same thing.
OK sorry If i didn't state it properly . I mean for them they need to stay for 730 days in Canada in the first 5 years to maintain they residency . they will come in June 2019 so up till Nov 2020 which is the end of the 1st 5 years it would be only 520 Days . Accordingly they won't qualify to maintain their PR statues . in such case what is the best scenario could I do to keep them with me in Canada

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK sorry If i didn't state it properly . I mean for them they need to stay for 730 days in Canada in the first 5 years to maintain they residency . they will come in June 2019 so up till Nov 2020 which is the end of the 1st 5 years it would be only 520 Days . Accordingly they won't qualify to maintain their PR statues . in such case what is the best scenario could I do to keep them with me in Canada
There is no reason for them not to remain with you. They just should not have any interaction with CBSA or IRCC that might cause their residency to be assessed. That includes travelling or renewing PR cards. They remain Permanent Residents and have a legal right to live and work in Canada

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
But by Nov 2020 I will have to renew their PR's and here is the point I'm trying to explain . At that date If they refused to renew their PR's . Could I sponsor them while they are in Canada ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But by Nov 2020 I will have to renew their PR's and here is the point I'm trying to explain . At that date If they refused to renew their PR's . Could I sponsor them while they are in Canada ?
You don't need to "RENEW their PRs". There is nothing to renew apart from the CARDS and this is not mandatory. They can live, work and study in Canada for the rest of their lives without ever needing to have a PR card. They just can't travel outside Canada. If you are still confused, I suggest you have a consultation with an immigration lawyer who can sit down with you and explain how this all works...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also you are getting confused with landing plus 5 years and expiry date on your pr card. When you family enters Canada there's no way they can stay 730 for their landing date + 5 years so they could be reported right away.