+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife is pregnant and doesnt have OHIP and due date is June 2019

obygeorge

Aug 5, 2016
Hello all,

I need your assistance.

I am a PR holder and have OHIP as well. My wife and son did soft landing in September 2018 and went back to India. She is pregnant now and due date is June 2019. She doesn’t have OHIP card. What is the earliest she needs to come to Toronto to get OHIP and get all benefits of OHIP for pre and post delivery?

Also, in the first 3 months when she is in Toronto, what is the best insurance to buy? Also, is there any other expense that I need to buy other than OHIP?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,

Oby George

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She will have to arrive 3 months before delivery but babies come early all the time. You will be responsible to pay for any care she receives before OHIP starts. You may be able to find coverage for emergencies in the 1st or 2nd trimester but it could be very expensive.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello all,

I need your assistance.

I am a PR holder and have OHIP as well. My wife and son did soft landing in September 2018 and went back to India. She is pregnant now and due date is June 2019. She doesn’t have OHIP card. What is the earliest she needs to come to Toronto to get OHIP and get all benefits of OHIP for pre and post delivery?

Also, in the first 3 months when she is in Toronto, what is the best insurance to buy? Also, is there any other expense that I need to buy other than OHIP?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,

Oby George
Note that any insurance will not cover pregnancy now, on the basis of it being a "pre-existing condition".

obygeorge

Aug 5, 2016
Hello @zardoz and @canuck78 for your response. I will try to get her in the country at the earliest.

Also, is there any other expenses after getting OHIP that I need to be know about.

Thanks,
Oby

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello @zardoz and @canuck78 for your response. I will try to get her in the country at the earliest.

Also, is there any other expenses after getting OHIP that I need to be know about.

Thanks,
Oby
Unless you have extended benefits your wife will have to pay for prescriptions if she has any leaving the hospital. You'll have to find an OB that takes payment before OHIP and will take you on as a patient. You'll also have to find a family doctor to follow your family after birth. I can be a challenge so you'll need to call around.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hi Obygeorge,

Manulife insurance is the ONLY insurance available to cover during pregnancy. It covers up to the 31st week of a pregnancy period and DOES NOT include delivery or pre-natal care coverage. It will cover a few pregnancy related complications. The 9 week period of pregnancy BEFORE the due date is NOT covered under any circumstances. If you are looking to buy one, I can help you with it. Reach out to me through personal message for more details. Thanks!