+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife is found pregnant after receiving the PR status outside of Canada

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Hi all,
I am a Canadian citizen myself, and my wife just finished the spouse sponsorship and got the PR card in last year, 2020.
However, we are currently staying in Hong Kong and packing the rest of our belongings.
We were planning to return to Canada in the coming few months.
and we just found my wife is pregnant. ;)

I am wondering, if we are going to have the baby in Hong Kong first.
Do I need to submit any documents to any departments in Canada before we return?
because technically the baby will not have any Canadian ID yet?

Thank you to all of your attentions!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
I am a Canadian citizen myself, and my wife just finished the spouse sponsorship and got the PR card in last year, 2020.
However, we are currently staying in Hong Kong and packing the rest of our belongings.
We were planning to return to Canada in the coming few months.
and we just found my wife is pregnant. ;)

I am wondering, if we are going to have the baby in Hong Kong first.
Do I need to submit any documents to any departments in Canada before we return?
because technically the baby will not have any Canadian ID yet?

Thank you to all of your attentions!
Yes, you will. The baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth. In order to bring the child to Canada you will either need to obtain a limited validity passport or go through the process of obtaining proof of citizenship and a full passport. The child will need to have either a limited validity Canadian passport or a full Canadian passport in order for you to board a plane with that child and come to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your previous questions I am also wondering whether you may have received your citizenship by descent. If your wife has only discovered that she is pregnant and you will need documentation before leaving HK that adds over a year before moving. To get approved for sponsorship you had to prove that you’d be relocating to Canada soon after your wife was approved for PR. There is no reason why your family could not continue their relocation plans to Canada especially so early in pregnancy. If you received citizenship by descent you’ll need to sponsor your child from Canada. They’ll get PR and then be able to qualify for citizenship.

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Yes, you will. The baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth. In order to bring the child to Canada you will either need to obtain a limited validity passport or go through the process of obtaining proof of citizenship and a full passport. The child will need to have either a limited validity Canadian passport or a full Canadian passport in order for you to board a plane with that child and come to Canada.
Thank you for your feedback.
but how or where do I get the limited validity passport?
or which department I should be in contact with now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your feedback.
but how or where do I get the limited validity passport?
or which department I should be in contact with now?
Can you confirm that you obtained citizenship either through birth in Canada or through naturalization? That may change the answer.

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Based on your previous questions I am also wondering whether you may have received your citizenship by descent. If your wife has only discovered that she is pregnant and you will need documentation before leaving HK that adds over a year before moving. To get approved for sponsorship you had to prove that you’d be relocating to Canada soon after your wife was approved for PR. There is no reason why your family could not continue their relocation plans to Canada especially so early in pregnancy. If you received citizenship by descent you’ll need to sponsor your child from Canada. They’ll get PR and then be able to qualify for citizenship.
Yes, my wife received the PR card by descent when they traveled back to Hong Kong.
Indeed I have also proven and planned that I will relocate back to Canada soon;
However, during the pandemic outbreak also with the current economic environment and unemployment rates.
I am considering if this is the best time for me to move back,
or to have the babies else where and wait till the pandemic be more stable first

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Can you confirm that you obtained citizenship either through birth in Canada or through naturalization? That may change the answer.
My family and I immigrated to Canada around 20 years ago, and we got our citizenship in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My family and I immigrated to Canada around 20 years ago, and we got our citizenship in Canada
OK - that confirms your child is automatically a citizen by birth.

Information for the temp passport is below. You'll want to submit the proof of citizenship application as soon as your child is born and then follow that up with the temp passport application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/temporary-passport.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

You'll need to contact your local Canadian embassy / consulate once the child is born to confirm how to submit.

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
OK - that confirms your child is automatically a citizen by birth.

Information for the temp passport is below. You'll want to submit the proof of citizenship application as soon as your child is born and then follow that up with the temp passport application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/temporary-passport.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

You'll need to contact your local Canadian embassy / consulate once the child is born to confirm how to submit.
Thanks alot for your help!