+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Urgent Passport pick-up experience: Walk-in to walk-out with Passport in 3 hours.

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Finally, we have collected our passports yesterday from Windsor...
I tried to obtain oath certificates immediately after oath. However, they were delayed and so I left to the US (where I was working) after oath. Friend of mine collected certificates and FedEx'd me. So I decided to travel and apply for passport in Windsor. Although ambitious, I bought the round trip ticket on the same day from Detroit.

Called Passport Canada on Monday to see if I can obtain an urgent appointment. They told that they are not doing appointments for urgent requests, instead I should walk right in within 48 hours of travel. I took the early morning flight and that is supposed to land in Detroit by 930AM (Thanks to the loss in 1hr time diff.). That flight was delayed by an hr and rental car delayed another 30 min. At this point, I was almost certain I have to spend the night in Windsor. Filled ArriveCan details using Birth certificate as entry document (There is no option for citizenship certificate). Finally showed up at the windsor tunnel border at around 1130 AM. CBSA officer was very understandable and looked up my certificate along with DL. Dont try to show up with just certificate as it does not have your photo and signature. Left the border and drove straight to my guarantor and obtained signatures where needed.

Went to the passport canada office in downtown at around 1220. Security guard asked me if I have an appointment. I said no and showed the boarding pass for return flight ticket. He was first surprised that the travel is the same day and let me in after a few covid questions. Went to the reception and showed proof of travel along with both our applications. She said, its very tight but they would try to accommodate. She arranged the application and documents in order and gave a token to be seated. There is only 1 person ahead of us. Guard told that this is slowest its been in the past 2-3 months. Probably we were very lucky.
After about 10 min, our token number was called and we handed our application and proof of travel to the passport officer at the counter. She said we will shoot for today but as always its not a 100% guaranteed. Just make sure all your references and guarantor can answer our calls. I paid the fee and left the counter at about 1PM with 330 PM pickup time. I informed all my references and guarantor about the same. Guarantor received the call at around 2. shortly after, references received the call and there were a few discrepancies with addresses from reference accounts and so Passport office called me again to make sure I didnt miss any previous addresses.

Went in at 330 PM, This time there were quite a few ppl (around 15-20 waiting). Showed up at the reception with pickup receipts and there they are...waiting for our signatures to become alive. Passport have to signed in front of them to be valid. With the new passport, I was able to catch my return flight in Detroit. We completed our memorable Canadian journey with an adventurous closing!

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Finally, we have collected our passports yesterday from Windsor... sure I didnt miss any previous addresses.

Went in at 330 PM, This time there were quite a few ppl (around 15-20 waiting). Showed up at the reception with pickup receipts and there they are...waiting for our signatures to become alive. Passport have to signed in front of them to be valid. With the new passport, I was able to catch my return flight in Detroit. We completed our memorable Canadian journey with an adventurous closing!
Wow! This is a new record and will be hard to beat. Congratulations on becoming a FULL Canadian.

Reactions: GuyanaGirl

MrTee

Nov 18, 2015
That’s a great experience , thank you for sharing.

Wow! This is a new record and will be hard to beat. Congratulations on becoming a FULL Canadian.
Can I say, one will be a “FULL” Canadian when the voting right is exercised ? :)

Reactions: akbardxb

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Finally, we have collected our passports yesterday from Windsor...
I tried to obtain oath certificates immediately after oath. However, they were delayed and so I left to the US (where I was working) after oath. Friend of mine collected certificates and FedEx'd me. So I decided to travel and apply for passport in Windsor. Although ambitious, I bought the round trip ticket on the same day from Detroit.

Called Passport Canada on Monday to see if I can obtain an urgent appointment. They told that they are not doing appointments for urgent requests, instead I should walk right in within 48 hours of travel. I took the early morning flight and that is supposed to land in Detroit by 930AM (Thanks to the loss in 1hr time diff.). That flight was delayed by an hr and rental car delayed another 30 min. At this point, I was almost certain I have to spend the night in Windsor. Filled ArriveCan details using Birth certificate as entry document (There is no option for citizenship certificate). Finally showed up at the windsor tunnel border at around 1130 AM. CBSA officer was very understandable and looked up my certificate along with DL. Dont try to show up with just certificate as it does not have your photo and signature. Left the border and drove straight to my guarantor and obtained signatures where needed.

Went to the passport canada office in downtown at around 1220. Security guard asked me if I have an appointment. I said no and showed the boarding pass for return flight ticket. He was first surprised that the travel is the same day and let me in after a few covid questions. Went to the reception and showed proof of travel along with both our applications. She said, its very tight but they would try to accommodate. She arranged the application and documents in order and gave a token to be seated. There is only 1 person ahead of us. Guard told that this is slowest its been in the past 2-3 months. Probably we were very lucky.
After about 10 min, our token number was called and we handed our application and proof of travel to the passport officer at the counter. She said we will shoot for today but as always its not a 100% guaranteed. Just make sure all your references and guarantor can answer our calls. I paid the fee and left the counter at about 1PM with 330 PM pickup time. I informed all my references and guarantor about the same. Guarantor received the call at around 2. shortly after, references received the call and there were a few discrepancies with addresses from reference accounts and so Passport office called me again to make sure I didnt miss any previous addresses.

Huge Congratulations and appreciate you sharing the details here.

Biggest surprise is that you were able to enter Canada without a PR card - that's news to us.

MrTee

Nov 18, 2015

Biggest surprise is that you were able to enter Canada without a PR card - that's news to us.
My be OP is a US citizen? Only US Canadian dual citizens can enter Canada with proof of citizenship (in this case citizenship certificate ) for others, once you are Canadian , you must use Canadian Passport to enter Canada.

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
My be OP is a US citizen? Only US Canadian dual citizens can enter Canada with proof of citizenship (in this case citizenship certificate ) for others, once you are Canadian , you must use Canadian Passport to enter Canada.
Hmm.. you have a valid point. Can OP confirm?

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
The person was a citizen at the time, not a PR. In addition, you do not need a PR card, a passport, or any other travel document to enter Canada by private vehicle as the border agents can verify your status at the border; the documents are only needed to board commercial vehicles such as airplanes, boats, trains, buses to travel to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=605&top=10

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015

That is no big news. You can enter with a certificate while crossing via land borders on personal vehicles/rental cars, not on a commercial carrier like a plane, bus etc. I confirmed this with CBSA before attempting.

I'm not a US citizen.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
That’s a great experience , thank you for sharing.

Can I say, one will be a “FULL” Canadian when the voting right is exercised ? :)
I call myself a 2/3rd Canadian because I've been waiting for a week now for Service Canada to call me for a passport appointment!

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
The person was a citizen at the time, not a PR. In addition, you do not need a PR card, a passport, or any other travel document to enter Canada by private vehicle as the border agents can verify your status at the border; the documents are only needed to board commercial vehicles such as airplanes, boats, trains, buses to travel to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=605&top=10
The underlying basis for this rule is that, a commercial carrier cannot make a determination whether your are a citizen or a PR. The only way for them to know is by a valid travel document. They are responsible for taking the individual back to where they came from, and any liability that comes with it in case CBSA makes a determination that the individual is not eligible to enter Canada. Unlike that with personal vehicle, you can always go back and CBSA will make a determination of your status at the border in case of insufficient documentation.

This is not to encourage anyone to attempt anything, but please consult an immigration lawyer or concerned authorities like CBSA as each individual case is different.

Reactions: bellaluna

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
I call myself a 2/3rd Canadian because I've been waiting for a week now for Service Canada to call me for a passport appointment!
You are a complete a Canadian while in Canada. But for rest of the world to say you are one, you need a passport :p

• Love
Reactions: akbardxb and MrTee

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Do you have a ticket? If not buy a ticket and ask for express service. Passport Canada's services is as bad as IRCC, although they are basically the same entity.

Reactions: akbardxb

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
That is no big news. You can enter with a certificate while crossing via land borders on personal vehicles/rental cars, not on a commercial carrier like a plane, bus etc. I confirmed this with CBSA before attempting.

I'm not a US citizen.
I have the same problem of not able to get the certificate after oath since i need to return back to US after oath schedule. I thought that i need passport only but why the border officer was saying that dont show up only with certificate?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Do you have a ticket? If not buy a ticket and ask for express service. Passport Canada's services is as bad as IRCC, although they are basically the same entity.
LOL. Maybe that's what is being done. I'll look for the cheapest 100% returnable ticket to the US :)

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
I have the same problem of not able to get the certificate after oath since i need to return back to US after oath schedule. I thought that i need passport only but why the border officer was saying that dont show up only with certificate?
Because certificate is not a photo ID. They need to see your face on an id. Can be a US drivers license if thats what you have.