+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My under graduation marks are really low and I'm changing fields from Economics to Computer Science. Would I have problem in the visa process?

thinking_programmer

Jan 10, 2019
My under graduation marks(Bachelors in Economics) are low at 53% and I'll also be changing fields to CS. I do have some experience and some really nice projects related to Web Dev but I doubt I might have problem with admissions and visa as well(I'll be applying through SDS so I'll have to pay tuition fees before applying). What do you guys think, should I go for it. My long term goal is to find work there and aim for immigration which is why I'm choosing Canada in the first place as I think I can contribute to the economy and also live their in the long term.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Why don't you apply for a work permit? The study permit's purpose is to come and leave, and if VO finds out about that, it is an automatic refusal.

For whatever reason that makes you think you can contribute to the economy, a work permit serves the same purpose.

thinking_programmer

Jan 10, 2019
Why don't you apply for a work permit? The study permit's purpose is to come and leave, and if VO finds out about that, it is an automatic refusal.

For whatever reason that makes you think you can contribute to the economy, a work permit serves the same purpose.
I understand that the main purpose of study visa is to go for studying and not immigration but let me explain the situation a bit better. The reason why I didn't wanted to apply for work permit right away is that I know I'm trying to learn computer science and it'd be really hard for me to find work right away if I go the work permit route. I also wanted to experience the country for a relatively long period of time and I thought that going for a study permit would be my best bet since I can get quality education and experience the country myself and then later decide if I want to apply for express entry or not.
Also, I'd probably be needing an offer for employement which I think employers would be more hesitant to give to someone who lives outside Canada.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I understand that the main purpose of study visa is to go for studying and not immigration but let me explain the situation a bit better. The reason why I didn't wanted to apply for work permit right away is that I know I'm trying to learn computer science and it'd be really hard for me to find work right away if I go the work permit route. I also wanted to experience the country for a relatively long period of time and I thought that going for a study permit would be my best bet since I can get quality education and experience the country myself and then later decide if I want to apply for express entry or not.
Also, I'd probably be needing an offer for employement which I think employers would be more hesitant to give to someone who lives outside Canada.
You will start by finding schools that will accept you; then, you can start from there by convincing VO you will actually return to your country, why you chose Canada and how Canadian education will benefit you back in your country. Bon courage!!

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
It is going to be difficult for you to receive an offer letter without a work permit. A lot of employers can only offer a letter of employment when someone has a work permit.

That being said, most people use the study path to immigrate to Canada. The main reason is, with your foreign education, you will not be able to compete with those who have Canadian education.

With studies in Canada, you will be eligible for a work permit after you graduate and depending on its length, you have a higher chance of finding a job in the field you studied in Canada

I had same goal as you. First thing is to study then apply for pgwp. You will have plenty of time to think if Canada will be your new home as living in a foreign country is not always easy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My under graduation marks(Bachelors in Economics) are low at 53% and I'll also be changing fields to CS. I do have some experience and some really nice projects related to Web Dev but I doubt I might have problem with admissions and visa as well(I'll be applying through SDS so I'll have to pay tuition fees before applying). What do you guys think, should I go for it. My long term goal is to find work there and aim for immigration which is why I'm choosing Canada in the first place as I think I can contribute to the economy and also live their in the long term.
You have 2 struggles both the low marks so concern whether you'll be a successful student if you get to Canada and the fact that you are changing fields of study is the other issue. In general you need to show that the Canadian course is a normal progression based on previous education and work history. All you can do is try.