+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My study permit expired...HELP Please..

Mar 18, 2013
Hi,

I am a international student and I have been studying in Canada for about 8 years since elementary school.

So...last week I realized that my study permit expired when I renewed my passport ( expired at March 11, 2013 )... so my questions are:

1. How can I extend/renew my study permit? (what do I need
2. Is it okay to stay in Canada while my study permit has been expired? (while renewing)
3. How long does it usually take to extend/renew a study permit? ( because I was planning to go back to my home country for my vacation)
4. Do I need to pay finds for extending/renewing after expiry date?

I have been searching online for the solutions but I couldn't find someone renewing the visa after expiry date... so I need your help please!!

Thanks,

orange_girl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 18-10-2014
Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
You will have to apply for restoration of your status within 90 days after your study permit expiry date.The fee for restoration application is $200 plus you have to pay for a study permit renewal, your bill will come up to $325. Also make sure to provide details about the reasons why you let your study permit expire. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved, it's up to the visa officer to approve or reject your application. However, many people were able to restore their status successfully by applying within 90 days and complying with the law of Canada, i.e. they stopped studying or working as soon as their permit expired. You are not allowed to study on expired study permit. You can find the details on how to apply for restoration of status on cic.gc.ca. Feel free to ask more questions. There may be people on this forum with a recent experience of status restoration.

wlkid

Dec 10, 2012
hello, I have the same problem. But i have finished my study when my study permit expired and at the same time im applying for a post graduate work permit. I know i wont be a student any more, so i restoration application for a visitor and hope i can get my post graduate work permit done soon. I called CIC, they would only see my visitor application under my file ;(.

Im so frustrated and panic, i have a job will start at April 1, i dont want to loss this job and i really really need my work permit at this moment more than any other.

Mar 18, 2013
orange_girl said:
You will have to apply for restoration of your status within 90 days after your study permit expiry date.The fee for restoration application is $200 plus you have to pay for a study permit renewal, your bill will come up to $325. Also make sure to provide details about the reasons why you let your study permit expire. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved, it's up to the visa officer to approve or reject your application. However, many people were able to restore their status successfully by applying within 90 days and complying with the law of Canada, i.e. they stopped studying or working as soon as their permit expired. You are not allowed to study on expired study permit. You can find the details on how to apply for restoration of status on cic.gc.ca. Feel free to ask more questions. There may be people on this forum with a recent experience of status restoration.
Thanks for answering!!

Do you know how long it will take to restore status process?

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
8 weeks of restoration + processing time for your study permit renewal.

Good Luck.

Mar 18, 2013
Thank you so much, Aman

However, I have a problem right now..

I am in 1st year (in 2nd semester) college and about to finish this semester, what is "Letter of Acceptance" that they want me to provide to them..?

Is it that acceptance letter that I got before I attend college (admission letter thing?) like it says congratulation to ~~ college? Can I provide them the one I got almost a year ago?

Please... I need serious help..

Thank you.

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Go to the college hub. And ask for Letter of acceptance from International Advisor.
They will give you a form to fill your details. And you will get your LOA from school in 7 days.

Good Luck.

visahelp

Aug 17, 2015
HELP!

I graduated in May this year and applied for a post grad work permit after. I called CIC hotline while in Canada inquiring my ability to travel while waiting for my post grad work permit was instructed by a CIC helpline representative that I could leave Canada on my student permit while my post-grad permit is being processed as long as I present my confirmation of application and proof of payment.

Currently Overseas visiting family and my dad noticed my student visa was expired but my permit is good till Aug 31st. It never came across to me they were seperate things. I have my flight booked for August 23rd this sunday returning to Vancouver.I'm concerned about being able to re-enter Canada and not sure if a Visa is need and if so which Visa I should apply for.

If i fall under 'student', ' worker' or 'visitor' since I'm in between processing zones or whether the Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) is the right option to apply for. Cause I do have share a place with my boyfriend there but I’m not quite visiting him as much as going home where he happens to also reside, and i’m basically a post-student who’s waiting for permission to work in Canada.

Also the processing time in Singapore is 15days for a Visitor Visa and my Student Permit expires then so I'm if I should consider flying to Jakarta and get it done there where the process time is 3days to make it before my Student Permit expires on Aug 31st or make my flight on August 23rd. but it’m not sure how reliable the 3day process time is in jakarta & need to be sure since I’d be spending quite a bit of money for a flight.

Will i be able to come back after my student permit expires on a visitors visa and still receive my post grad and reapply to continue residing in canada after?

What to do? The offices aren't responding & not helpful on giving advice..

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
What passport do you carry? You say you are in Singapore and if you hold a Singapore passport, then you are TRV exempt and all you need is a valid study permit and ETA (which can be obtained online) to re-enter Canada from what I understand. If you have another passport, check CIC to see if you need one or not: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Hope this helps.

visahelp said:
HELP!

I graduated in May this year and applied for a post grad work permit after. I called CIC hotline while in Canada inquiring my ability to travel while waiting for my post grad work permit was instructed by a CIC helpline representative that I could leave Canada on my student permit while my post-grad permit is being processed as long as I present my confirmation of application and proof of payment.

Currently Overseas visiting family and my dad noticed my student visa was expired but my permit is good till Aug 31st. It never came across to me they were seperate things. I have my flight booked for August 23rd this sunday returning to Vancouver.I'm concerned about being able to re-enter Canada and not sure if a Visa is need and if so which Visa I should apply for.

If i fall under 'student', ' worker' or 'visitor' since I'm in between processing zones or whether the Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) is the right option to apply for. Cause I do have share a place with my boyfriend there but I'm not quite visiting him as much as going home where he happens to also reside, and i'm basically a post-student who's waiting for permission to work in Canada.

Also the processing time in Singapore is 15days for a Visitor Visa and my Student Permit expires then so I'm if I should consider flying to Jakarta and get it done there where the process time is 3days to make it before my Student Permit expires on Aug 31st or make my flight on August 23rd. but it'm not sure how reliable the 3day process time is in jakarta & need to be sure since I'd be spending quite a bit of money for a flight.

Will i be able to come back after my student permit expires on a visitors visa and still receive my post grad and reapply to continue residing in canada after?

What to do? The offices aren't responding & not helpful on giving advice..

Jashman brar

Dec 21, 2018
Help.

I am jashamndeep Singh Brar from indain. I have offer letter of august inatke of 2018(Monitoba institute of trade and technology,Winipeg). But my visa approved 7 days after my classes start. Then i applied for extension letter and my collage gives me the next august inatke of 2019. My question is this, i have to applied again for visa or i can go canada with that visa. I have 3 year student visa.

Preeti dhami

Jun 18, 2019
hello, I have the same problem. But i have finished my study when my study permit expired and at the same time im applying for a post graduate work permit. I know i wont be a student any more, so i restoration application for a visitor and hope i can get my post graduate work permit done soon. I called CIC, they would only see my visitor application under my file ;(.

Im so frustrated and panic, i have a job will start at April 1, i dont want to loss this job and i really really need my work permit at this moment more than any other.

Hello,

I am same as your situation my study permit and study going to finish in same month but i applied for study permit extension I am not sure I will get or not because study will finsih by 18 and study permit will finsh by 31.