+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my spouse received the single entry.can she get the visitor record at Airport?

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
Hi

I am in dilemma about my wife's visa. Currently, I have ICT visa and work permit is valid until October 2018. But somehow my spouse received the single entry 6 Months visa. As dependent, she would have received the same duration of visa as mine.

She will be flying for Canada on 21 October coming Friday.
So my question is
1. will she get the visitor record at the Airport?
2. Can she stay as long as I stay, what we will have to do for that?
3. Can she extend the visa and will it be converted from Single entry to Multiple entry.
4. Can she get the benefits of OHIP, currently she is carrying 6 Month’s pregnancy.

Please suggest on this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: my spouse received the single entry. can she get the visitor record at POE?

bshailesh3 said:
She will be flying for Canada on 21 October coming Friday.

1. will she get the visitor record at the Airport?
2. Can she stay as long as I stay, what we will have to do for that?
3. Can she extend the visa and will it be converted from Single entry to Multiple entry.
4. Can she get the benefits of OHIP, currently she is carrying 6 Month’s pregnancy.
Hi

The TRV has nothing to do with how long she is allowed to stay in Canada. It simply allows her to travel to Canada.

1. Yes, she should be granted a visitor record upon entry for the same duration as your work permit.

2. She can stay as long as she is given by CBSA. If they give her a shorter stay, she can apply to extend it.

3. A TRV cannot be extended. After using the single entry visa, she can apply for another one. As said above, a TRV is not required to be in Canada, only to travel to Canada.

4. There is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP; as she is already 6 months along, she will most likely not have coverage in time for the birth. You would then be required to pay all costs associated with the birth. If there are any complications, it can end up costing tens of thousands of dollars. Midwife services are free in Ontario but as they are in such high demand and she is so far along, there is a good chance she will not be able to find one before the birth.

I would seriously suggest she hold off on travelling and give birth in your country.

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
Re: my spouse received the single entry. can she get the visitor record at POE?

Thanks canuck_in_uk

Most of things is cleared....

1. Now I got assured that she will get the visitor record then she can apply for OHIP.
2. she is having 5.5 months pregnancy, so she might get the OHIP before 1 month of due date.
3. If I couldn't get the OHIP I will try to travel back with her within one month
4. And about midwife, I have taken appoitment for next week.....I know couple of center where I will get the midwife.

Please let me know if I would like to take care of anything.......I hope she will get the Visitor record at Airport POE.

THanks
SHailesh

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Keep in mind that babies sometimes come early. If the baby comes too early then you could end up with a situation where you aren't covered by OHIP and the birth has to happen at a hospital (because it is high risk). You should be prepared for the possibility that you may have to pay for the costs of this delivery and if the delivery is very early - the costs may be very high.

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
@scylla

True sometimes babies come early. currently, I have the personal insurance GWL one. Hospitalization can be covered in that ,expensive would be monthly or bi-weekly visit which doesn't include in that.

I will try to get the midwife anyhow, I scheduled two appointments for the next week.

I am more worried about the visitor record if they do not provide at POE.

canuck_in_uk said that she will get the visitor record as much as mine validity.

Still, finger crossed. Hope for the best.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bshailesh3 said:
canuck_in_uk said that she will get the visitor record as much as mine validity.
Actually, I said that she SHOULD get a visitor record with the same validity. However, it is always up to CBSA, so there are no guarantees.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bshailesh3 said:
True sometimes babies come early. currently, I have the personal insurance GWL one. Hospitalization can be covered in that ,expensive would be monthly or bi-weekly visit which doesn't include in that.
Check your insurance coverage. Unless you specifically purchase coverage for child birth, many exclude this in the fine print - meaning they will cover hospitalization for other issues but not the costs of child birth.

Also, I assume this is insurance you purchased while outside Canada - rather than something you got through work once you arrived. Anything you obtain through your work here depends on the claimant having OHIP coverage first so you while won't be able to benefit from it until she has OHIP coverage as well.

Again, please thoroughly review your coverage. Too many times people think they are covered because they purchased a good/expensive policy and aren't aware of the exclusions.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Hi,
My wife travelled for the first time to Canada, as a visitor, when I was on a Work Permit. At that time, She got in and we went home thinking all is well. She didnt get any visitor record and I wasnt aware/bothered about that. But then after some months, when we checked her passport, we found out that her Canada Immigration seal in the passport had a date written in there by the officer. And that was for 6 months from her landing.
Thanks God, for me, my company would take care of visa extension applications. So, i send the information to my company and then they helped apply for her extension of stay.

And when I had my WP extended, I applied myself for her Open Work Permit which we got till my WP expiry. Then there was no worry of here stay extension.

I wish and pray your spouse have a safe journey and smooth immigration.

I can imagine how happy and thrilled you'll be... to meet your spouse... and the ~3.5 months to meet your nextGen :)

Thanks.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
And... once you are settled, please let the forum know how it all went...
Wish you all the best :)

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
Hi All

My wife safely arrived in Canada, but she got stamped only the entry date.

There is no exit date written, it means she can stay in Canada at least six months. At PoE, officer suggested to apply for visitor record from outside as she don't have canada medicals and 1 year insurance. I didn't get this but now I have to apply for visitor record anyhow.

Does anybody knows how much time it wil take to get the Visitor record and when should I apply before the valid end date of Visa ?

I made appointment with Midwife also they are giving treatment to Non-OHIP people also. Yesterday only I did ultrasound and it covered by Midwife insurance.
But she will not be covered in Surgery cost. I am going to check this with my personal insurance company how much they will cover if required to do so. If not I will apply for full health plan or pay from the pocket if required.

@immigrant7 and other members.

Please let me know how much time it wil take to get the Visitor record and when should I apply before the valid end date of Visa ?

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Congrats Shylesh...
The CIC webpage says
If an officer believes that a foreign national's length of stay should be limited to a period of less than six months, a visitor record (IMM 1097) is issued as a means to exercise an element of control over the foreign national's length of stay.

The visitor record is generated in FOSS, printed and attached to the foreign national's passport (if applicable). It:

outlines the conditions of admission;
specifies the validity date (or date the foreign national must leave Canada by); and
captures other pertinent information about the subject and the purpose for seeking entry to Canada.
Note: There are no processing fees for documenting a TR at the POE (unless an additional permit needs to be issued).

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/record.asp
More details here as well http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=473&top=4

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bshailesh3 said:
Please let me know how much time it wil take to get the Visitor record and when should I apply before the valid end date of Visa ?
Apply a few weeks before her current status expires.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp