+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my sponsorship has been cancelled by my husband. what should I do

Aug 27, 2013
My status was decision made and I got the email that CIC agent will contact me for an interview.
problem is that my husband recently left me and babies and we are separate.
I do have 2 babies between him and I and they are really young. One of them is 19 months and the other is 4 months only and They are all canadian citizens. We went to the court for child support and parenting order and the judge made an interm order that the kids are staying with me and he will have few days for parenting time a month.
But He withdraw his undertaking and my application has been cancelled and my file is colsed.
At the court, he was saying that He cancelled my application so I will be deported back to my country without the kids and the judge said that is totally bulling. But CIC cancelled my paper work. If I have to go back to my country I cannot take them with me and they are too young and he does not have any idea how to take care of them.
We all know he is not able to take care of them.
my question is that what can I do with my situation to get the PR as soon as possible.
I need to get to work to support me and my babies.
is there any way that I can request to review my file to CIC with all of the explanation of my situation?
If I have to hire an immigration lawyer, it is okay I can go ahead.
Please give me an answer what I need to do for this situation.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You NEED a very good immigration lawyer.

He had no option to withdrawing sponsorship as you are not together any more.
Regardless of his motives, legally he did the correct thing by informing CIC.

You will need to find another way to gain Permanent Resident status by yourself.
You might want to look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip05-eng.pdf just in case it's helpful.
This *may* be the correct place to start if H&C is being considered -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5291ETOC.asp

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
http://owjn.org/owjn_2009/component/content/article/57-immigration-law/335-sponsorship-breakdown

read this link....i guess he cant withdraw the undertaking like that ..as you have children in common....also ,at what status are u living in canada...did u get ur Perminent resident card

Sponsorship Breakdown
Updated October 2012

Note: As of October 25, 2012, there are new rules for spousal sponsorship that may affect what happens to you if your sponsor cannot support you, or if you separate from your sponsor. This article will explain these changes.

What is Sponsorship?
What is a Sponsorship Agreement or Undertaking?
How long is the undertaking?
What is Conditional Permanent Residence?
What is Sponsorship Breakdown?
What are the different ways a sponsorship can break down?
What happens if my sponsorship breaks down and How can I get financial support?
You are a Permanent Resident
You are a Conditional Permanent Resident
You do not have Permanent Resident status
You are the Sponsor
Where can I get more help?
Glossary of Terms
What is Sponsorship?

According to Canada’s immigration law, a family member who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can sponsor another family member, such as a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children, to become a permanent resident. This is called Family Class Sponsorship. Sponsorship means that you agree to take care of your family member and help provide for their needs if the government allows them to come to Canada as a permanent resident.

Often times, family situations change and a sponsorship relationship may break down. This article provides general information and guidance if you are separating from a sponsor or want to leave an abusive sponsor. The article focuses on spousal/common-law/conjugal sponsorship breakdown. For more information on how to sponsor a partner or family member, read Sponsorship Basics.

Immigrant women often face challenges when they come to Canada because of language barriers, cultural differences and discrimination. Sponsorship may break down for many reasons, including an abusive sponsor. This adds more hardships for a woman to deal with. She can face financial problems and other challenges which have an impact on her and her children. She can also face problems with respect to her immigration status.

What is a Sponsorship Agreement and a Sponsorship Undertaking?

Sponsorship Agreement: The sponsor and the sponsored spouse/partner have to sign an agreement. This is called a Sponsorship Agreement. In this agreement, the sponsor makes a commitment to provide basic requirements for the sponsored spouse or partner. Basic requirements include food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements, and other goods and services, including dental care, eye care, and other health needs not provided by public health care. By signing this agreement, the sponsored partner also promises that s/he will make every effort to support herself/himself.

Undertaking: A sponsor must also sign a promise to the government that her/his sponsored spouse or partner will not need to apply for social assistance. This is called an undertaking. If the sponsored person does receive social assistance, the sponsor will have to pay the money back to the government. The sponsor must also promise to do these things even if the relationship breaks up, s/he changes jobs, becomes unemployed or goes back to school etc.

How long is the undertaking?

If you are a spouse, common law or conjugal partner:
Your sponsor needs to provide for basic needs for 3 years starting from the day you become a permanent resident.
If the sponsorship agreement was signed before June 28, 2002, your sponsor needs to provide for basic needs for 10 years starting from the day you become a permanent resident.
Note: If you enter Canada with a temporary resident permit (TRP), your sponsor needs to start providing for basic needs on the day you enter Canada. If you are already in Canada and you have been given a TRP after you apply to remain in Canada as a permanent resident, your sponsor has to start providing for basic needs on the day you get the TRP. Otherwise, the undertaking to provide support begins on the day you become a permanent resident as mentioned above.

Important changes to the law: Conditional Permanent Residence

If the government received your permanent residence application on or after October 25, 2012, the new regulation of Conditional Permanent Residence may apply to you.
What does Conditional Permanent Residence mean?

Under this regulation, you need to stay with your spouse or partner for two years after you receive your permanent resident status. If you do not, you may lose your permanent resident status and be removed from Canada.
When does Conditional Permanent Residence apply?

Conditional permanent residence applies to you if:
The government receives your permanent residence application on, or after October 25, 2012 AND
At the time you submit your permanent residence application, you have no children with your sponsor and you have been married or in a relationship with your partner for two years or less.
If you can show proof, you may not need to meet the “two year” condition if:
Your spouse/partner dies OR
You can show that your spouse/partner abused you (physically, sexually, psychologically or financially) or neglected you (did not provide you with the basic needs for living).
What is Sponsorship Breakdown?

Sponsorship breakdown happens when your sponsor is not able or not willing to support you to meet your basic needs. This may be because your sponsor’s circumstances have changed (for example: s/he lost a job), your sponsoring is abusing you or you have separated from your sponsor.

What are the different ways in which sponsorship can break down?

Here are some examples of how a sponsorship can break down:

Your sponsor does not has enough money (even though s/he wants to support you)
Your sponsor may allow you to live in the home, but does not pay for your food, clothing or medical needs.
Your sponsor does not want to support you and tells you to leave the house
Your spouse leaves you and does not support you or refuses to support you after you leave the home
You leave because your sponsor abuses you (physically or sexually) or threatens you.
You leave because you are forced to work for your sponsor without being paid
What happens if my sponsorship breaks down?

If you are a permanent resident

If you are a permanent resident and you are being sponsored by your partner, your permanent resident status is not affected if the sponsorship breaks down. Your sponsor cannot withdraw the sponsorship at this point. The government cannot remove you just because you leave your sponsor. Your sponsor may threaten you and insist that he will take away his sponsorship, but this is not true.

Note: If your relationship breaks down, you cannot lose your status just because you leave your sponsor. But, there are still ways that your ex-partner can put your status at risk. S/he could accuse you of misrepresentation (lying on your application), or of other criminal activities that might make you inadmissible to Canada (for example, if you are part of a criminal organization or terrorist group). Even if these things are not true, they can complicate your status and put you at risk or being removed. If you think your ex-partner might do these things, you should speak to an immigration lawyer right away to make a safety plan to protect your immigration status.

How can I get financial support?
If you leave your sponsor or s/he cannot financially support you, you may be eligible for social assistance.

You can apply to Ontario Works (OW) or if you have a disability, to Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).
Your sponsor is usually required to provide for your basic needs for three years after you get permanent resident status, even if you separate from her/him. Therefore, if you leave your sponsor during those three years, and receive social assistance, your sponsor will owe that money to the government.
You may also be able to apply for spousal support or child support from your spouse or partner. See Child Support and Spousal Support for more information.

Note: Spousal support and child support are complex legal issues and you should seek the help of a family law lawyer whether you are going to court or trying to work out an agreement with your partner.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
In this case, the application has been withdrawn before the OP was "landed".
Therefore, as far as CIC is concerned, it's now a closed file.

The "undertaking" never came into force because it only does so when the applicant "lands", unless they are on a TRP.

The information you refer to is for the situation once the sponsored person has become a PR.

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
Besides the fact that the application wasn't complete, the new rules with CIC state that once you receive your residency, you must live together in a legitimate relationship with your sponsor for two years.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
sariss said:
Besides the fact that the application wasn't complete, the new rules with CIC state that once you receive your residency, you must live together in a legitimate relationship with your sponsor for two years.
This is if they applied before October 25th, 2012. I'm not sure when the OP applied.

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 22, 2013 , received as per tracking number August 26, 2013
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
February 07, 2014 (Winnipeg)
this is a tough situation. get a good lawyer. be strong.God bless you and may God strengthen you especially in times like this.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
If you do not have close relatives in Canada AND want to continue to stay in Canada, try contacting support services:
www.familyservicetoronto.org/programs/vaw/centres.html

If you are not in Toronto, there are links in the above site where you can seek help.

Collect evidence that show you are capable of support both children by yourself - education, past work experience etc. Ensure the court order that you have includes what you mention (where the judge said your ex was bullying). This could come in handy when applying under H&C - Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. For this you would need a good lawyer.

If you do not have close relatives in Canada AND want to settle back in your country of origin:
See if it serves better for the kids to live in an environment closer to your family and friends. Check your embassy in Canada and see if your children have your citizenship. You could then apply for travel documents for them and travel back to your home country.

Staying in Canada would better ensure that your ex pays for child support.

Hope God gives you the courage and determination to overcome this very difficult journey.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Of course, if the father refuses permission for the children to leave Canada, the only way to take them would be with a court order. From what was said in the original post, it seems very unlikely that he would give his consent.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
sponsorshipquestion said:
My status was decision made and I got the email that CIC agent will contact me for an interview.
problem is that my husband recently left me and babies and we are separate.
I do have 2 babies between him and I and they are really young. One of them is 19 months and the other is 4 months only and They are all canadian citizens. We went to the court for child support and parenting order and the judge made an interm order that the kids are staying with me and he will have few days for parenting time a month.
But He withdraw his undertaking and my application has been cancelled and my file is colsed.
At the court, he was saying that He cancelled my application so I will be deported back to my country without the kids and the judge said that is totally bulling. But CIC cancelled my paper work. If I have to go back to my country I cannot take them with me and they are too young and he does not have any idea how to take care of them.
We all know he is not able to take care of them.
my question is that what can I do with my situation to get the PR as soon as possible.
I need to get to work to support me and my babies.
is there any way that I can request to review my file to CIC with all of the explanation of my situation?
If I have to hire an immigration lawyer, it is okay I can go ahead.
Please give me an answer what I need to do for this situation.
If I were you I would file for custody,if you both end up sharing custody,then you can file for Humanitarian and Compassionate!....There is a high chance they would grant it to you!!!!....I know someone who did this,they are PR now!!!!!!...good luck

abouttoland

Aug 26, 2013
first off, you need to have a Canadian citizen ready to post bail, just. in case
you haven't mentioned what your status is in Canada.
the next step could involve CBSA. "hand-delivered" is the term used, when a spouse reports to CIC/CBSA.

As for Family Court, you will have the involvement of Ministry of Emergency Prepardness" as an added party. That is just a fancy name for a lawyer for CBSA ensuring that a judge does not over rule any attempts to remove you.

When filing H & C, its always goes in the best interests of the child(ren).
In my case, i filed application for judicial review, and the Federal Judge stated that common sense said that a child should have both parents, and CIC have to show the child will NOT be affected negatively.

Aug 27, 2013
abouttoland said:
first off, you need to have a Canadian citizen ready to post bail, just. in case
you haven't mentioned what your status is in Canada.
the next step could involve CBSA. "hand-delivered" is the term used, when a spouse reports to CIC/CBSA.

As for Family Court, you will have the involvement of Ministry of Emergency Prepardness" as an added party. That is just a fancy name for a lawyer for CBSA ensuring that a judge does not over rule any attempts to remove you.

When filing H & C, its always goes in the best interests of the child(ren).
In my case, i filed application for judicial review, and the Federal Judge stated that common sense said that a child should have both parents, and CIC have to show the child will NOT be affected negatively.

so what is the post bail? and what is CBSA??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sponsorshipquestion said:
so what is the post bail? and what is CBSA??
Do not waste time on here if you don't understand these terms. You NEED to be talking to a lawyer. You should not delay in contacting one. We can only give general advice based on what we have read and what we have learned.