+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My son's status

mrgee

Dec 9, 2009
I've not had much luck getting an answer out of the London Visa office (haven't replied to my email), so hoping someone here might be able to give some advice.

I'm Canadian, and am sponsoring my wife. The PR has come through, so it looks like we're good to go. However, we have a son, who is entitled by birth to Canadian citizinship. We have applied for the citizenship certificate for him, however we won't have it by the time we go.

The question is, will my son's British passport, and proof that he is my son (ie his birth certificate), be sufficient for immigration to allow him into Canada? We also have the receipt from the citizenship certficate application. He's 2 1/2 years old.

Thanks

P

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I recall correctly, if you can show proof that you applied for proof of citizenship for him you can get a temporary Canadian passport for him from the Canadian High Commission/embassy.

mrgee said:
I've not had much luck getting an answer out of the London Visa office (haven't replied to my email), so hoping someone here might be able to give some advice.

I'm Canadian, and am sponsoring my wife. The PR has come through, so it looks like we're good to go. However, we have a son, who is entitled by birth to Canadian citizinship. We have applied for the citizenship certificate for him, however we won't have it by the time we go.

The question is, will my son's British passport, and proof that he is my son (ie his birth certificate), be sufficient for immigration to allow him into Canada? We also have the receipt from the citizenship certficate application. He's 2 1/2 years old.

Thanks

P

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they will issue a temp passport, but you have to have had started the CCCertificate application process prior to your son's 2nd birthday. (That's a lot of haves and hads). I just went through the same ordeal.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's great information! Thanks, KL8N.

KL8N said:
Yes, they will issue a temp passport, but you have to have had started the CCCertificate application process prior to your son's 2nd birthday. (That's a lot of haves and hads). I just went through the same ordeal.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
I am in a similar situation, where my 8 months onld son, born in US, needs to travel with me (Canadian) my wife to Canada. I'd already applied for citizenship certificate back in August 09.

The process of sponsorship of my wife is complete and we got the visa for PR, and we'r ready to move in to Canada. So, I assume that proof that I already applied for citizenship certificate along his (my son's) birth certificate and other supporting documents, would be sufficient for my son to migrate to Canada with us all.

Am I correct? Please advise...

Toledo

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, contact the diplomatic post for information on how to apply for a temporary passport for your son.

toledo said:
I am in a similar situation, where my 8 months onld son, born in US, needs to travel with me (Canadian) my wife to Canada. I'd already applied for citizenship certificate back in August 09.

The process of sponsorship of my wife is complete and we got the visa for PR, and we'r ready to move in to Canada. So, I assume that proof that I already applied for citizenship certificate along his (my son's) birth certificate and other supporting documents, would be sufficient for my son to migrate to Canada with us all.

Am I correct? Please advise...

Toledo

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you can call the Canadian Border Service to make sure, they will give you the right answer. also if your kid is from visa exempt country, he doesn't need visa and I don't think there will be any problem for him to cross the border at all.

mrgee

Dec 9, 2009
Just to follow up, in case it is of use to anyone. The Canadian Embassy in London has asked me to apply for a "Facilitation Visa" for my son. The specific guidance that is relevant to my case can be found by googling "Operational Bulletin 154 CIC". You'll see a link at the top to the CIC website. I'd post a link, but don't seem to be allowed to.

Hope it helps.

P

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
thank you for the update.
to post links just add it without www and it will work.