+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My situation: Please help! Or give advice.

DroogieNick

Oct 18, 2007
Okay, I am a 21 year old college student who will be graduated with a Bacholers in May 08. I plan on moving to Canada with my girlfriend (She lives in Ontario) and my hope is to continue my education at University of Toronto while hopefully getting a job perhaps at a bank. I am a bit lost about how I can go about this. I dont know if I qualify for a perminate resident visa as I have never gone to school in Canada thus far, havent worked there, nor do I have any family there (I would be living with my girlfriend). Please help!

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I will tell you what I know from reading at CIC and from various forums, but I am not an expert. If you want to be a student in Toronto, you would be considered an international student and I think you might need a student visa. Not really sure. It would also be quite expensive as you are not from that country.
You would have to look into a student visa if you wanted to take this route. There are categories on this forum that you could look at to find more information.
Otherwise, you don't qualify for permanent residence. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. My husband is Canadian and I'm American. The best option for us to be able to be together was for us to get married first so that he could sponsor me as his spouse. You don't qualify as common law unless you are living together for a year. Conjugal only works if you can prove that there is a reason that you couldn't live together for a year, and a job does not count as a reason. So, we got married. We're in the process of applying for permanent residence for myself, which if you apply outside Canada takes anywhere from 3 to 12 months depending on many things.
Start reading at the CIC website and you can weigh your options.