+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My sister is 28 years old, doing masters in the university.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
my sister is from my home country Syria. she is 28 years old age.
I applied for a visitor visa for her. but she was refused based on that: - she is not married there, - she doesn't earn money there. - she doesn't have travel hisotry.

is there anything that I can do to help my sister come to Canada? I live in Ontario. I am a Canadian Citizen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
my sister is from my home country Syria. she is 28 years old age.
I applied for a visitor visa for her. but she was refused based on that: - she is not married there, - she doesn't earn money there. - she doesn't have travel hisotry.

is there anything that I can do to help my sister come to Canada? I live in Ontario. I am a Canadian Citizen.
You most likely cannot sponsor her. Family sponsorship would only be possible if you are single (unmarried, not common law), have no children, both of your parents are deceased and you have no family members in Canada.

Has she explored Canada's economic immigration programs like Express Entry and the PNP programs? This might be a way for her to qualify to immigrate.

Another option would be to come to Canada on a study permit. However this is an expensive option. If she is working on a master's now, then she would want to take either another master's or a PhD in Canada.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
what if I find her a volunteer opportunity in some NGO or organization in Canada? would she be able to get a visa? and what kind would that be, a study permit or a working one? for a volunteer position.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what if I find her a volunteer opportunity in some NGO or organization in Canada? would she be able to get a visa? and what kind would that be, a study permit or a working one? for a volunteer position.
There a very few volunteer positions that wouldn't require a WP and she is very unlikely to be approved for any temporary visa unless to study at an advanced level like a PhD. She has very few ties to Syria and the situation in Syria does not provide as many opportunities compared to Canada so she is at high risk of not returning home. She should focus on looking for opportunities to immigrate. This may take time and she may need to gain some work experience unless she already has some.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How did you secure PR? Did you receive asylum or did your family receive asylum in Canada since the war in Syria. Having one family member claim asylum raises concern that the other family members will claim asylum if they enter Canada which is why we are suggesting that applying for PR via economic immigration programs make the most sense.