+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my PR card is about to expire. please help me

hasanipooyan

Sep 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I landed in canada in sep 2005 and afeter 1 month i return to my country to complete my study. I couldnt come again to canada beacause of militry service limitation in my country. i get permission for one month to live my country in aug 2009 so i came canada for 1 month and return again to my country. i got admission for PhD from a university im Montreal ,QC and I came canada about 20 days before the expiration of my PR card. so now I am in canada and have started my studied for PhD here about 1 weeks ago. my PR card will be expired in 10 days(OCT 2010) . I was in canada just for 2 month in 5 years period so i havent meet permanent residency obligation now.
what do you sugest me to do?
1-apply for new card and after invitation for interview , I can explain my problem and assure that i will be in canada for next years because of my PhD study. (H&C)
or
2- wait until i meet 730days rules (in 2012) and apply for new PR card .
if i wait until 2012. dosnt it make problem for me? (during this 2 years)
I am afraid that imigration office wont renew my card beacaus i apply 2 years after expiration. (i should write my landing date and i should send my PR card with my document if i apply after expiration date so they can see my landing and expiration date). was there somebody that fails to renew his card in this situation? I should be sure about this. i am really worry about renewing my card .

another question : can I apply for Quebece residency as permanent resident of canada with my expired PR card (or about to expire). do it cause my PR status is questioned and I lost my PR status. can Qubece residency office inform CIC that my card is about to expire or is expired or they are independent.

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should wait until you meet the residency requirements. It does not matter if your PR card expires. You are not legally obligated to keep a valid PR card at all times. When you apply to renew your PR card in 2012, they must renew it if you meet the residency requirements at that point. Their own rules state that they can only consider the 5 year period immediately before you applied to renew. They can not go further back in time.

I have no idea what Quebec residency is.

L7

Star Member
Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You should wait until you meet the residency requirements. It does not matter if your PR card expires. You are not legally obligated to keep a valid PR card at all times. When you apply to renew your PR card in 2012, they must renew it if you meet the residency requirements at that point. Their own rules state that they can only consider the 5 year period immediately before you applied to renew. They can not go further back in time.

I have no idea what Quebec residency is.
Welldone Leon, nice comments.

hasanipooyan

Sep 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much.

ok . I will wait unitil 2012 before applying for new PR card.
i just want to know that can i apply for credit card or bank account as Permanent resident when my PR card is expired?.
can i use free service that is for immigrant like free english and french clasess and other services for immigrant with my expired card? (i must show my PR card for registration in this services so they find out that my PR card is expired)

also the tuition fee that i paid for my university (as PR) is one forth(1/2) of internationl student'fee. so I am afraid they ask me my PR card in next semesters and force me to pay like international student ( after seeing my epired PR card)

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before your PR expires, make sure you get a SIN, drivers license and also apply for health card. If you have these three things (especially the first two), then you can manage to get other things done with an expired PR card.

HeyJin

Mar 22, 2017
Alabaman said:
Before your PR expires, make sure you get a SIN, drivers license and also apply for health card. If you have these three things (especially the first two), then you can manage to get other things done with an expired PR card.
Yes, that's exactly what I am planning to do. My card is about to expire this June. Still short of months to meet the A28 residency obligation. Would like to settle down relevant application before expiration date. (SIN number obtained, driver's licence, health card awaiting). Great comment :}