+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My poor record, before applying for citizenship am I a hopless case?

adame

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi Scylla
Thank you for your email

I stayed in Toronto for 9 months before i move to Montreal.... NOTHING

I am a bloody CFA and I also have an MBA, and recently I got a CBCP certified from DRII and still .... NOTHING

My French sucks but I am learning and don't want to relocate to Toronto till I have at least a freaking interview, I keep a record of the jobs i applied for and I think they are more than 80 position I applied for in the last 3 years directly with banks and with recruiters, only 2 interviews and ... NOTHING

I was in the IBD with Morgan Stanley for several years and I was doing IPOs and M&As

any advice is extremely welcome as I am serious about finding a job, there is nothing more painful staying at home like that counting the days worrying about the rest of my savings..

I attended several networking events and ... NOTHING

please let me know if you have any advice

A

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's too bad about your French... If you want to stay in QC - then definitely focus on your French as a top priority. I think that's extremely important if you want to work in the financial sector in that province. It's pretty much table stakes...

IBD is extremely competitive. I can understand why you had challenges even with your background. I've been in banking for almost 15 years here (Toronto) and MBAs and CFAs (individually or in combination) are sadly pretty common place now (which is scary). No one blinks at someone with a Masters now (way way way too many around) - only PhDs still get a raised eyebrow. I'm afraid I don't recognize the CBCP and DRII certifications. If I was giving you advice three years ago - I would have said go for a CA or CMA because that might be a differentiator. But they're a heck of a lot of work so I'm not sure that's something you'd consider now.

The trick with Canadian banking is it's just as much about who you know as what you know (as i'm sure you've heard). In other words, people don't just want to see great qualifications on paper and a great resume - then want to know from someone first hand that you can do the job and do it well. And they don't want to hear this reference from just anyone - they want to hear this reference from someone they know, or someone who knows someone they know. When it comes to building networks, I don't think attending several networking events is enough. You need to develop a circle of people you see regularly enough to form some kind of professional trust or bond. Someone I know also once joined a Toastmasters club that was run out of a bank office tower to build contacts. Other people I know have built contacts through regular volunteering. All of this is obviously much easier said that done.

I assume you've already converted your resume to a 'Canadian style' resume...

Something else I would suggest is doing a mock interview with someone you know who is in the industry and can provide frank feedback. I know this probably sounds incredibly lame to someone with your qualifications and experience. However every country is a bit different - and sometimes people new to the country can use some coaching as to how to approach interviews here and understand what non-verbal cues they are sending which may not be aligned to the corporate culture here. To provide an example, my husband is American - and his style of answering questions can be perceived as far too agressive and non-collaborative for Canadians. He doesn't think he's being agressive at all - however that's how it can come off to some Canadians.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else...

If it was three years ago - I would have other advice to offer regarding how to enter the market (i.e. job level, covering letter approach, etc.). But I think that opportunity has unfortunately been lost now.

I will be back if I think of anything else...

adame

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Scylla, spot on!
Amazing reply, thank you very much. The mock interview is a fantastic idea, thanks again.

I am not hoping on getting any jobs now, especially with 3 years off the market and the weight I gained in the last 3 years,,, never saw an investment banker my weight now :) 96k.g :(

My true worry is from the immigration officer and the RQ because I was not active ( no utility bills, no gym subscription, no doctors bills or dintists very little bank transactions... i have a DL but never rented a car, have a HC but never visited a doctor) I know all this will raise a great suspect. I was looking for all what I can present as a proof of residency when time comes, did not find much except the stamps on my passport.

I am not worry about finding a job, I may even consider a retirement before 40 as a realistic reaction to my position in this market but I will utterly regret if i fail to convince the immigration of my residency status here with the poor proof I have over the last 3 years.

I chosed Montreal to be my home but the pressure is incredible when I imagine the look of suspect in the officer eye and the RQ and the more months of wait in tense... to be honest if I am the judge or the officer I will not waste a minute and will give no chances... we will see

Thanks again for your amazing reply and I agree to every word of it.

A

Tunjiconga

Dec 6, 2011
Hi Adame - I must say that you sound pessimistic in your thoughts/comments and that's not a good attribute. The secret behind being successful is to keep trying, never give up. You need to have the drive and persist in the face of all challenges. If you are still willing to try, you can send your resume to me at adetunjiajao@yahoo.com and I will take a look. Just like Scylla, I work in the banking industry at downtown Toronto, and I manage a function within HR. Again, if you are still interested in establishing yourself here in Canada, I will advise that you change your thoughts and be more positive.

Hi Scylla - I read your posts, very great comments. I must say that your willingness and openness made me to write this. Keep it up, excellent!.

Regards,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would have advised you to take a survival job, any job to stretch your savings, keep lean and mean while looking for a job in your field. Does a bank really care when they want to hire you that you have been working in a factory vs. being unemployed? If you believe they do, just skip the factory off your CV. They would never know.

As for the proof, in spite of not having utility bills or gym memberships, you must talk to people on a daily basis. Do you have dealings with your landlord on a monthly basis? Neighbours? Do you shop at a smaller store where you know the staff? If you could get a couple of letters stating that such and such person is your landlord or neighbour and knows that you have been living at this address during such and such time, that would be better than nothing.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I would add just one comment to all the good advice being given. You seem to have excellent credentials, and so I don't understand why you haven't been offered any jobs -- unless it is your defeatist attitude. Any sort of negativism shows badly during interviews. So, why not hire a professional recruiter to coach you through a few mock interviews? Sure, get a friend to help you too, but a professional might be a great investment.

Good luck.

adame

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Thank you very much everyone for the great replies

Toby, you may be right. however, when I was with my previous job i used to interview tens of professionals every year and I deem to understand a bit about that, yet i can only blame myself.. and the longer you are out of a job, the more its difficult to get in again, especially if you gain weight, and loose track

I spoke to several professional recruiters and head hunters and I believe they don't want to waste time teaching new people,, they bet on the best horses only

Leon, I don't mind driving bloody caps, can you believe that i cant even find such a job!

Tunjiconga, spot on, absolutely right but I did gave up. this is not what matters now for me, what does is how will i convince the immigration officer with my poor situation especially with the last 3 years of no job!! if its me, I wont grant the citizenship to a person like that in a million years.
guess what, i even applied for welfare at a point and was even refused :) lol, I am not good for anyone not even the welfare people :)
I will send you my CV and let me know what do you think is wrong with it

Scylla, again thanks a million. i read your reply several times and its very inspiring..

Thanks all for the kindness but finding a job is not the topic of my concern its convincing the immigration officer when time comes. I don't want to get a RQ!! I cant afford 2 more years of wait

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to get a survival job and are not having success, unless there is very high unemployment where you are, you may need to modify your CV. If they believe you to be overqualified and just looking for something to tide you over until you find a real job, that could be why you are not getting hired for those jobs. Instead of saying you were a banker, say you worked in the mail room at a bank and you'd have a much better chance.

I don't know what it is like in your area but in AB it is fairly easy for somebody to change their career and get into the trades, even at 40-50 years old. As a first year apprentice, you are even making more money than a helper and if you stick with it (or don't find anything better in the meantime) in 3-4 years, you can be making a decent living. Now I am sure that some people will now come and scream at me because I dare suggest that a white collar educated person might consider changing their career to work in the trades but I did this myself. In my opinion, I would rather train to work as a tradesman than be an unemployed guy in a suit.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
scylla makes a very good point. To add, as a permanent resident, language classes are available to you. See www.cic.gc.ca/new to find the closest center. You may not be working but you can polish your french and use this as additional proof of your physical presence in Canada.

Lastly, staying inactive on the job front for 3 years creates additional hurdles not the least of which is financial. Try volunteering for a non-profit in need for your type of skills and believe me it can open many doors. This can also serve as proof for your citizenship application.

adame

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Thank you SenoritaBella

Very useful ideas. I will do a Gym membership, take the french lessons ( They are free too) and join the Rotary Club in Montreal. HOWEVER!! This is for the coming days and will show a good proof.

My Problem for God's seek is the past 3 years. I will apply now for the Citizenship and the proof for the past 3 years is Poor. So I am not looking for future proof of residency I am looking for a solution to convince the officer about the past 3 years.

I know there is no solution but wishing for the best.

A

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Since you can't go back in time, I would apply and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, you may have to accumulate additional years then re-apply. Goodluck!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Stay positive and it will all work out. When you start out negative the battle is ALREADY half-lost as you may tend to sabotage any good that will (not may) happen.

I say stay positive !!! Good Luck !!

adame

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Thank you very much us2yow
I will try :)

Cheers

A

sunilkumark

Mar 29, 2012
Reg: Need Information

Hi

I am Sunil Kumar K from India and I need small information regarding Immigration, I have applied for Candian immigration in june 2006, after applying my application I have recived Immigration File Number with in the 2 months, and my application went into normal pool, recently couple of days back I have received one more response from CIC and stating that, this is in reference to my application for permenant resident in canada in the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) programme received on 6/4/2006 and if you are interested please go through the given link and find out application forms and fill it and send us with deatis before May 4th. So my question here after 5 years I received this response, so can any one help me to know how long it takes time to have further process, and what are the next step? and do we need IELTS certification, even though person have more than 9 years of IT expereience and complete educational background is english and also for worked for CANDIAN Clients? please some one help me to share about the request.

Looking forward from your kind of information.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Sunil
ksunilkumar1980@gmail.com

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

looking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp#asia the processing time for these old applications is 93 months to complete 80% of the cases. You can see some timelines at trackitt.com

You do need IELTS. Immigration got tired of peoples statements about how good their English was and so they decided to require it from everybody. Even immigrants who are born and have grown up in English speaking countries and speak no other language have to take IELTS.