Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Neither the guarantor, nor any of the two referees were contacted by Passport Canada.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hi Qorax. We took our Citizenship oath at the same venue in March 2016. Reading your detailed report brought back the memories..After the ceremony is over and you walk out, the feeling of relief and excitement to apply for the Canadian Passport. Somewhere along the drive home, it started to sink in , that wow, after all that long time since first coming to Canada, the transition is complete. We have finally arrived at the destination.

Reactions: qorax and ddavidd1

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@qorax Thanks for this write up. I found the parking instructions useful. The $10 saved for parking was promptly spent on beer for celebrations!

You've answered a lot of my queries in the past, and I wanted to thank you for your contribution out here. Much appreciated!

Reactions: qorax and inlimbo2

SunnyWays

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Continued from above...

ACCOMPANYING KIDS: There was no objection to having kids (including infants or semi-infants) inside the ceremony hall. And a few of them were noisy as well, which did at times hinder the smoothness of the proceedings. But no red-flags were raised by IRCC staff and neither by anyone else.

WASHROOM: There is a washroom (male & female separated) just aside the hall. Which can be utilized while being in the hall (during the proceedings) as well. Just that during the Oath and while singing the national anthem we must remain inside. There was a 5-minutes midway break offered as well, if you remember.

FOOD, DRINKS AND STROLLERS: Are not permitted to be taken inside. For infants they suggested to carry them (babies as well as their food/drink) in hand.

End note:

A behemoth of a task stand completed now. And the resultant feeling is both of relief as well as amazement. I feel content, if that makes sense, even tho it won't change anything, sans the ability to vote, for Faith Goldy!

Here's wishing everyone in line all the very best ~ and pray that yours' come sooner!

Feel free to post any queries and I will be more than happy to reply appropriately. And no, I'm not running away (from this forum) anytime soon.

Cheers!

End of Blog.
thank you, @qorax you are one of my favo members on this forum since 2012, thank you for taking time to explain everything,

Reactions: qorax

ddavidd1

Star Member
May 26, 2018
APPOINTMENT TIME: 9:00 AM (September-26th, 2018)
OUT OF BUILDING: 11:10 AM
TOTAL TIME SPENT AT VENUE: 2h 10m
DURATION OF ACTUAL OATH CEREMONY: 1h 10m

This is how it went...

Drove from Brampton at 8:00 AM, reached IRCC-Mississauga at 8:26 AM. Drive time 26 minutes, minimum traffic.

There is enough parking space at IRCC complex, especially at the rear. Remember, entrance to the IRCC building for oath / test is from the rear.

Parking charges are a mere $9 for the full day till 11 PM. However, we parked at the adjacent location which is right behind, touching the IRCC car park with a common divider (no barrier in between).

NOTE: Parking space GPS spot: Spirit Of Math Schools, 2170 Dunwin Dr 1 & 2, Mississauga, ON L7M 5B3

Crossed over to the IRCC complex by foot. It is a shallow climb, as the IRCC complex is at a slightly higher elevation than the “vantage point”. Crossing point is marked by the three neon arrows.

NOTE: And if you park anywhere else*, it'd be quite a considerable walk, especially if you've time constraints. And the IRCC complex is fenced at both sides (except for front and back), which makes you walk the entire property before reaching the rear door.

*The next best parking spot is a “strip mall” to the left, about 6-7 minutes walk on the Dundas St. / Glen Erin Dr. Intersection. GPS spot “Pizza Pizza”.

We entered IRCC building at 8:40 AM. There is a security desk right in front. We announced that we have come for the citizenship Oath. The security officer was a pleasant fella. He directed towards the location behind him where the ceremony hall was and asked us to hang-in there till 9:00 AM when someone would be approaching us for ushering everyone inside. And that we should keep our (A)invite letter, (B)media form and (C)PR cards ready.

The waiting hall was already getting filled-up fast. It is a common area where both test/interview folks as well as the oath takers were being accommodated. Where we waited – the opposite side of it was where the test/interview folks were waiting. Seating arrangements were sparse – and most folks ended up standing, which further compacted the space.

9:00 AM, Ceremony Commencement

At dot 9:00 AM a Citizenship Officer (Ms. Ellie, name announced later) entered the waiting area from the ceremony hall and informed us the procedure to be followed. Whereafter, both the doors were opened (A & B in the picture above).

From door #A the guests entered. Guests who accompanied the applicants – and they were asked to sit at the two longer sides of the ceremony hall – keeping the centre space vacant for the oath takers.

We all lined-up at door #B. It was indeed a long line. However, it took just about 20-25 minutes for everyone to complete their registration and be seated.

The Registration Process

Up ahead of door #B, near the dais, was a desk with Ms. Ellie seated checking our documentation. She welcomed us, took the media form (minors are NOT REQUIRED to fill these) and returned back the invite letter as well as PR cards and directed us to proceed to the next desk, towards the left of the dais.

Here another lady was seated, who again welcomed us, rechecked the Oath Invite Letter, marked / circled the “seat numbers” over it. For the first time I noticed that there indeed was a # pre-printed on the letter, inside the box which told us where to go for the oath. We were three (self and two minors) and all of us had our seat numbers pre-printed.

She kept our PR cards but returned back the invite letters. She also handed us a large (quarter poster sized) “Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms” paper and couple of lapel-pins (Canadian Flag). We can pick-up as many of them as we want. She asked us to be seated and wished us all the best.

Seating arrangements were ordinary. Regular cushioned chairs with seat numbers on their right armrest. And there was a “goodies booklet” on every seat aptly called “Our Citizenship” and a Canadian paper flag. The contents of which are:
  1. a message from the IRCC Minister
  2. a pamphlet containing the Oath transcript, meaning of the Crown, Allegiance to the Queen and Laws and Duties of Citizenship
  3. a Free “cultural access pass”, valid for one year. Details at: https://www.icc-icc.ca/site/program/cultural-access-pass/
  4. a Parks Canada Free Admission pass, valid for one year
  5. a pamphlet containing our National Anthem transcript

9:30 AM, Announcement by Ceremony Clerk

Around 9:30 AM, when we all were seated, the Ceremony Clerk took the stage. She welcomed everyone, did some small talks and advised us on the ceremony process, viz.:
  1. a total of 192 applicants were taking the oath today
  2. a mix nationality from 124 countries were among the oath takers
  3. kids' are welcome, however they need to remain quiet, else a family member needs to accompany them out of the hall (she gave a valid reasoning for it tho)
  4. everyone should repeat the oath 'loud and clear', else s/he will not be offered the citizenship certificate – and would need to get another appointment
  5. the line-up procedure to receive the certificates and photography method
  6. silencing the cellphones
  7. the fun / details of the “free cultural access pass”
  8. apply for passport after 48 hrs.
  9. a 5-minutes break for washroom, water, infants' arrangement etc. after the video show

Two screens rolled down from the ceiling and we watched a Discover Canada type short video. Then there was a 5-mins break.

Continued...

Best post I have seen here, EXTREMELY HELPFUL... THANK YOU SO MUCH

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Thanks a lot Qorax for the detailed post regarding your OATH day preparation and tips.
Today I was at the same venue and took my Oath along with family members.
Parked exactly at the spot you wrote about and saved $ 9/-.
Total 115 candidate from 29 countries participated.
The Judge was Hardish K. Dhaliwal.

Reactions: qorax and ddavidd1

Maarns

Mar 4, 2018
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I have my oath this coming week in Mississauga as well, and all I wanted to say your post is awesome. Congrats.

JimE2013

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-06-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
Continued from above...

Final tidbits:

ENVIRONS: The all around atmosphere was joyful yet professional. Everyone, including the IRCC staff were very cordial and pleasing. And tho the attendance was massive – it yet was completed pretty suavely and swiftly. At no time did we feel that we were “waiting” for something - and that there was a/ny drag.

DRESS CODE: We were formally dressed, however many were not. I can generally say that 50% of the crowd were either formally or semi-formally attired ~ and so were 50% others who were dressed in absolute casuals. There were just three females who were traditionally dressed in their native apparel.

DOCUMENTATION: Tho the instructions stipulated that we carry all our passports, COPRs, all ID cards and any other originals (copies of which we had submitted with the application) ~ but, the only things that they saw and announced (as required) in the venue upon arrival were:
  1. the oath invite letter
  2. the media form (which came with the letter) and
  3. the PR cards (which they took)
Continued...
What's the media form?

canvan14

May 8, 2014
What's the media form?
The media release form is usually included with the oath invitation letter/email.
It's your consent to have media/public release of the ceremony. It needed to be signed and submitted on the date of the oath ceremony.

JimE2013

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-06-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
The media release form is usually included with the oath invitation letter/email.
It's your consent to have media/public release of the ceremony. It needed to be signed and submitted on the date of the oath ceremony.
My wife never got that. She got an email with the notice to appear as one attachment and another file called "One Pass Notice," which contains the following information:

YOU MUST BRING:

• Your notice to appear for the Citizenship Test

• A piece of provincial government identification

• An additional piece of photo identification

• Your Permanent Resident Card

• Your landing papers/confirmation of permanent residence

• Your current & expired passports and/or Canadian Travel Documents

• A Certified Translation of any Passport Pages that have Visas, Entry/Exit Stamps, or Notes that are not in one of Canada’s official languages - English or French

• A photocopy of the bio-data page of all Current & Expired passports or Canadian Travel Documents in your possession

If you are missing documentation, you will not be tested and will not receive an invitation to attend the Oath of Citizenship.

If you PASS the citizenship test/interview, meet all requirements, and your file is approved, you will receive an invitation to attend the 2pm Citizenship Ceremony on the above-noted date. The Citizenship Ceremony is a joyous occasion that your friends and family are welcome to attend.

If you do not pass the test and/or your application does not meet all the requirements you will not receive your citizenship on the above-noted date.

The IRCC staff will advise you of what the next steps of the application will be.

CEREMONY:

All children 14 years of age and older must be present and take the oath to receive their citizenship. Please ensure you bring your children’s Permanent Resident Cards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Is not getting the media form going to cause a problem?

Jim

canvan14

May 8, 2014
My wife never got that. She got an email with the notice to appear as one attachment and another file called "One Pass Notice," which contains the following information:

YOU MUST BRING:

• Your notice to appear for the Citizenship Test

• A piece of provincial government identification

• An additional piece of photo identification

• Your Permanent Resident Card

• Your landing papers/confirmation of permanent residence

• Your current & expired passports and/or Canadian Travel Documents

• A Certified Translation of any Passport Pages that have Visas, Entry/Exit Stamps, or Notes that are not in one of Canada’s official languages - English or French

• A photocopy of the bio-data page of all Current & Expired passports or Canadian Travel Documents in your possession

If you are missing documentation, you will not be tested and will not receive an invitation to attend the Oath of Citizenship.

If you PASS the citizenship test/interview, meet all requirements, and your file is approved, you will receive an invitation to attend the 2pm Citizenship Ceremony on the above-noted date. The Citizenship Ceremony is a joyous occasion that your friends and family are welcome to attend.

If you do not pass the test and/or your application does not meet all the requirements you will not receive your citizenship on the above-noted date.

The IRCC staff will advise you of what the next steps of the application will be.

CEREMONY:

All children 14 years of age and older must be present and take the oath to receive their citizenship. Please ensure you bring your children’s Permanent Resident Cards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Is not getting the media form going to cause a problem?

Jim
This form is included with the oath invitation letter/email, not the test invitation email/letter.
Your wife is invited for the test, thus she will not get this form.

JimE2013

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-06-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
This form is included with the oath invitation letter/email, not the test invitation email/letter.
Your wife is invited for the test, thus she will not get this form.
Right, but she was also told in the "One Pass Notice" email that she is invited to take the oath later that same day provided she passes her test.

Jim

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Right, but she was also told in the "One Pass Notice" email that she is invited to take the oath later that same day provided she passes her test.

Jim
I have no experience in how same day test and oath works so other members can help you with regard to which forms one should receive.
My guess is she will sign the media release form there once she passed the interview/test before attending the oath ceremony. Therefore, she did not receive it with her notice.
I have noticed people can sign these forms at the ceremony as well in case they do not receive notice email/mail. In my oath ceremony, a person did not have his oath invite letter/media form and they were fine with it. I don't think you should be worry about this.
Good luck to your wife!