+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My mum & sisters are refugees but I don’t know if I am too

Jul 24, 2020
Hey! So I have a quick question.

Me, my mum & sisters came into Canada on the same day. I came in on a Study Permit, my mum & sisters came in on a Visitor’s visa and submitted a refugee claim a couple of weeks after. They got approved & my mum and sisters have their refugee document to show for it. I on the other hand don’t have that document. I continued with my study permit & later on got a post graduate work permit, which is what I’m currently on. My mum applied for PR & included me (under the family class) in the application for PR, but that is yet to be approved.

My question is, can I still travel to my home country? I’m technically not a refugee but I don’t want to risk travelling to my home country, only to be told when I return that I voluntarily rescinded protection by making the visit. I also don’t want this to affect my sisters as they are little & need protection. Please help! Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Me, my mum & sisters came into Canada on the same day. I came in on a Study Permit, my mum & sisters came in on a Visitor’s visa and submitted a refugee claim a couple of weeks after. They got approved & my mum and sisters have their refugee document to show for it. I on the other hand don’t have that document. I continued with my study permit & later on got a post graduate work permit, which is what I’m currently on. My mum applied for PR & included me (under the family class) in the application for PR, but that is yet to be approved.

My question is, can I still travel to my home country? I’m technically not a refugee but I don’t want to risk travelling to my home country, only to be told when I return that I voluntarily rescinded protection by making the visit. I also don’t want this to affect my sisters as they are little & need protection. Please help! Thank you.
Normally this is only an issue for the primary / principle applicant. However you may want to check with a lawyer to be sure.

Also make sure you're aware of the travel restrictions that are in place now and what you would need to return to Canada if you plan to return while the travel restrictions are still in place. Right now you would need a valid TRV and PGWP, as well as proof you have a job in Canada.

Reactions: ohmyhermiticlife
Jul 24, 2020
Normally this is only an issue for the primary / principle applicant. However you may want to check with a lawyer to be sure.

Also make sure you're aware of the travel restrictions that are in place now and what you would need to return to Canada if you plan to return while the travel restrictions are still in place. Right now you would need a valid TRV and PGWP, as well as proof you have a job in Canada.
Thank you! I don’t intend on travelling now, but I know I’ll need to when this entire thing blows over. I just want to know so I don’t make any commitments I can’t keep.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

How old were you when your mother applied for PR? Because there is an age limit until you can be a dependent.
Also you are correct your travelling can be much riskier given your family history (refuge claim). Additionally anybody who you will vouch for in next few years to visit you, will have much harder time to get visitor visa (again because of that history).

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
If you are not included in their Notice of Decision then you are not a refugee. Yes you can travel to your home country, however, an officer in the future might ask your mom and sisters why they are in danger while you are not... so that could jeopardize their status.

i suggest you continue on your PGWP, get the 1 yr of Canadian work experience and apply through Express Entry. You might even get your PR faster than your mom and sisters.

by the way, the fact that your mom included you in her PR does not make you a refugee. Those two are independent things. Your mom and sisters will continue to have refugee status even if they become PRs. Once your mom and sister become citizens then they are free to do as they wish.

Jahprovideesp

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
If you are not included in their Notice of Decision then you are not a refugee. Yes you can travel to your home country, however, an officer in the future might ask your mom and sisters why they are in danger while you are not... so that could jeopardize their status.

i suggest you continue on your PGWP, get the 1 yr of Canadian work experience and apply through Express Entry. You might even get your PR faster than your mom and sisters.

by the way, the fact that your mom included you in her PR does not make you a refugee. Those two are independent things. Your mom and sisters will continue to have refugee status even if they become PRs. Once your mom and sister become citizens then they are free to do as they wish.
You are in no way going to affect your Mom and Sister