Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Just few more points regarding driving license....

Alternatives driving extract from RTO in India.
  • Good luck in getting that done. One caveat - i don't think that is accepted either. atleast heard one case where it was denied.
  • Workaround is - to get attested by Indian consulate. And once again, they may fill in with fineprint saying that they are not responsible for facts presented in the document. If that is the case, not sure why drivetest should accept it.
Driving extract from India is accepted by drive test centers in Ontario. Mine was accepted. I also know few other people whose driving extracts were accepted in Ontario. No attestation required from Indian consulate

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reciprocal agreements are always made by 2 countries - Canada and some other country. So yes both Canada and the other country needs to be interested in such agreement.
So the change would have to happen on both sides.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Reciprocal agreements are always made by 2 countries - Canada and some other country. So yes both Canada and the other country needs to be interested in such agreement.
So the change would have to happen on both sides.
With some countries, sure. However, when dealing with a country with some of the most lax drivings standards and worst driving in the world, it is not Canada that needs to change.

Onpoint

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Driving extract from India is accepted by drive test centers in Ontario. Mine was accepted. I also know few other people whose driving extracts were accepted in Ontario. No attestation required from Indian consulate
Do you have a specific format for the driving extract that you used?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Do you have a specific format for the driving extract that you used?
It is a default format provided by the Regional transport office (RTO) back in India.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With some countries, sure. However, when dealing with a country with some of the most lax drivings standards and worst driving in the world, it is not Canada that needs to change.
Wrong again.
It is not that much about driving standards in whichever country. It is about how important that country is as strategic partner.

For example countries like Netherland, Denmark, Sweden Luxembourg have such bad driving habits. (hint, their road code is almost identical to the on from Belgium or Germany - give it or take some speed limits adjustions).
But it just so happens, that those countries do not seem to be important enough for Canada.

On the other hand you have on the list several countries with the opposite driving (RHD instead of LHD). There at very least is the question, that it will take a bit longer the driver to get used to the other side driving.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wrong again.
It is not that much about driving standards in whichever country. It is about how important that country is as strategic partner.

For example countries like Netherland, Denmark, Sweden Luxembourg have such bad driving habits. (hint, their road code is almost identical to the on from Belgium or Germany - give it or take some speed limits adjustions).
But it just so happens, that those countries do not seem to be important enough for Canada.

On the other hand you have on the list several countries with the opposite driving (RHD instead of LHD). There at very least is the question, that it will take a bit longer the driver to get used to the other side driving.
Wrong again? Please do point out where I was wrong the first time.

As for your argument, if reciprocal driving agreements were based on strategic partnerships for Canada, they would be federal, not provincial, and would extend to significantly more countries.

I have been to those countries you listed and saw no problems on the roads. Also, while I'm not going to look up every provincial driving authority to get numbers, several of those countries do have reciprocal agreements in place with many provinces. Ontario is not the only province in Canada...

I have also driven on both sides of the road and it is a very easy asjustment.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Wrong again.

Well, FYI Denmark is one of the countries that is very difficult to pass a driving test. I am not sure what kind of driving habits you are referring to.

Last edited:

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a default format provided by the Regional transport office (RTO) back in India.
Hi, I tried to inquire at RTO in Hyderabad and they say they have no clue about such letter. Which RTO had issued you the "Driving Extract"?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Hi, I tried to inquire at RTO in Hyderabad and they say they have no clue about such letter. Which RTO had issued you the "Driving Extract"?
I got it in Kerala. It's called 'driving particulars' in Kerala.

Reactions: Raz0r

deepakmgt

May 5, 2017
Just few more points regarding driving license......

I know this forum is filled with lots of steps in getting driving license. Most of it are similar and haven't changed much. However, the issues are still present and uncorrected.

• Letter from Indian consulate is not valid with drivetest. When they did not accept the sworn affidavit produced by the consulate, I thought it was a recent change in policy. But it is not. This issue has been there since 2013 until now (nov 2017). This forum provides an evidence (post here) Neither the consulate nor drivetest cared to remedy. Very sad!.
  • Remember fees to get such sworn affidavit is 19$ from Toronto consulate. But the expense to go collect it etc adds up significantly. Sad that none of the staff mentions the uselessness of the affidavit when they are hearing complaints since 2013.
  • By the way, 19$ should be in the form of money order or bank draft. To get 19$ bank draft - bank fee is 7.50$. Nearly 50% is fee. Ridiculous!!
  • Good luck getting parking in downtown Toronto. Parking is expensive atleast 15$ min plus GST.
  • To make things worse - affidavit says for 3 times in fineprint that "consulate is not responsible for correctness of the facts presented in the affidavit" - 2 times "consulate is not responsible for acceptance of the document by drivetest". Now who in the proper frame of mind accept such a document? Then why do you even produce such document? Strange!!
  • Can't even imagine what drivetest would think of reading such a document.
  • Here is the document - http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/india-motor-driving-license
  • attempts to get proper letter was denied outright!No compassion there.
Alternatives driving extract from RTO in India.
  • Good luck in getting that done. One caveat - i don't think that is accepted either. atleast heard one case where it was denied.
  • Workaround is - to get attested by Indian consulate. And once again, they may fill in with fineprint saying that they are not responsible for facts presented in the document. If that is the case, not sure why drivetest should accept it.
Bottomline, atleast in this aspect, new Indian immigrants are "promised" and "guaranteed" a bad start in Canada.

Sometimes, can't help myself to wonder if there is some machiavellian plan to it. Like Indians are bad drivers. Hence for them to get used to driving in Canada safely (in terms of cost), slap them with higher auto insurance for 12 months by giving G2 license or G1. This ensures, Indians are tamed for Canadian driving.
Hi Buddy , thanks for sharing the feedback , do you have any idea how long the Abstract of D/L issued by Indian RTO is valid in Ontario ?

SaintNishant

Star Member
Jun 10, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-04-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
Can you not drive in Canada with your Indian DL and/or International Drivers Permit (IDP). I drove for about 9-10 months in the US with an Indian DL and IDP before getting a license there. And for those 9-10 months I was renting from Hertz and Enterprise. That was way back in 2009. And most recently, drove almost for 2 years in the UK (and Scotland and Wales and Jersey Island) on my Indian DL (no IDP this time). Also, I would rent from Enterprise, so had no problem at all.

I know there is a UN agreement (not able to locate link for that now) wherein you can drive in any country with your countries license for some specified time - 3 month, 6 month .. etc.

Btw .. good thread and thanks for starting this .. as getting a DL will be one of the primary thing one has to do once one lands in Canada.

bhvuan

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
I also have a digital driving licence (online verified document like Aadhar). Will that be sufficient or is an extract still required?

Secondly, to get an extract, do I have to go to the RTO which issued my license (Delhi) or any RTO will do (planning to get in Mumbai).

Thanks.