+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Mother has Parkinson's disease. Is there no hope of her ever being able to come to Canada?

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I am in the process of applying a regular Visitor Visa for my parents so that they may visit me for about 2 months. My mother has Parkinon's disease but its in a controlled stage as long as she takes her meds regularly. But of course, she has her up's and down's. Although, she has never needed medical attention / hospitalization during her years of illness because her meds are pretty strong and on the day's she feeling down, she just rests and then she's ok by the next day.

In the Visitor Visa form, it asks, "Do you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social and/or health services?" Should I say Yes to this? Does Parkinson's qualify as a physical disorder?

Also, even though they have their own insurance their home country, I would like to purchase extra insurance from Canada itself. Is there any provider out there who covers Parkinson's disease?

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
I am in the process of applying a regular Visitor Visa for my parents so that they may visit me for about 2 months. My mother has Parkinon's disease but its in a controlled stage as long as she takes her meds regularly. But of course, she has her up's and down's. Although, she has never needed medical attention / hospitalization during her years of illness because her meds are pretty strong and on the day's she feeling down, she just rests and then she's ok by the next day.

In the Visitor Visa form, it asks, "Do you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social and/or health services?" Should I say Yes to this? Does Parkinson's qualify as a physical disorder?

Also, even though they have their own insurance their home country, I would like to purchase extra insurance from Canada itself. Is there any provider out there who covers Parkinson's disease?
I would suggest discussing your case with a certified professional.

ryvinson

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019

Did you check with her doc if she’s fit to travel? If yes, is the doc ok to provide a written assessment in support of her application?

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

consult first your Dr clear certified no have any problem for travel
contact Parkinson Canada they guide your insurance problem how can get

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

Congratulations! you discovered a pitfall/trap in Canadian immigration.

Now, there is NO real definition of "serious" in Canadian immigration law and neither is there a medical exam for visitor visa, less than or equal to 6 months.

You want to be truthful to Canadian immigration forms, don't you? Here is the trouble for you. Canadian government does not want you to be truthful thats why forms are knowingly vague. What is serious disease? Ask a lawyer, only way to know is if IRCC is challenged in a JR. Is diabetes a serious disease? Again, no one knows. Is Parkinsons? Again same story.

Practically, here is what will happen : If you answer that question as "Yes", you will guarenteed to get a PFL. And then you will have to respond to that PFL. Next I do not know what will happen because its too subjective. If you answer "No", then you have to live with a possibility that she may be deported for lying on forms -- though it may be somewhat less as there is no medical exam here.

So why is the form so stupidly worded with weasel words like "serious"? Why not just give a list of diseases and ask the applicant to select if they have one of the diseases listed there? The truth is, its by design. By design to create a trap so if immigration needs to remove and ban someone they have an overly broad vague question.

BTW, Canada is not the only country to use these kind of overly broad and confusing questions. US is worse.

Ask a professional registered immigration consultant (RCIC) or a lawyer though. See which path they want to take it.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Ummm.... I got my mother Manulife insurance. It sort of works by giving cover for conditions that are stable for six months. They say they have direct billing. It does not work with VIHA though. Your exerience elsewhere may differ. It means if you need to use it, first pay from your pocket and then file a claim. Pretty fucked up, if you ask me.

JesuS-LorD

Sep 8, 2023

Any updates?