+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My life in Canada during the first year

loveucanada

Aug 12, 2010
I can't believe that I've been here for almost a year! However, it's true. March 29 is my first anniversary. I'm not sure if I'm still a "new" immigrant after Mar 29. :) I would like to be counted as a Canadian, though.
I recalled on Mar 28, 2010 I landed at Edmonton, AB without any companies. All made me decide to fly to Edmonton is my positive expectation of the job market in Alberta. When I submitted my application to Buffalo CIC in Aug 2009, I applied as FSW - accountant (at that time accountant was an acceptable occupation). Since then I spent a little time searching for Canadian market and got (sort of) that Alberta has jobs. At the end of 2010, I landed in Toronto. Meantime, my status at CIC tracking ended with "You became to Permanent Resident of Canada on Dec 29, 2010." Toronto was my selected landing city on my application form but I decided to start in Alberta.

I only spent two nights in Toronto but got four important things done: 1) exchanging my US driver's license to Ontario (in Aug 2010 I went back to my country from US as I ran out of F1 term, and my license was expired in Oct 2010 -- However, as long as within 6 months since your US license gets expired, one can exchange a valid license in Canada. I therefore easily got Ontario Class 5); 2) getting SIN; 3) registering myself with medical insurance; and 4) opening a bank account and obtaining credit card and debit card. I am lucky. I don't have any relatives in Canada but have a friend in Toronto. I got a temporary license right away and the rest of cards/documentations were sent to my friend's within a month. In the very early morning, I said good-bye to Pearson and flew to US to visit my close friends. It was Dec 31, 2010. How happy I was!

April 8, 2011. I got snow in Edmonton. I was so surprised and even a little depressed. The depression is from snow and job hunting. Although I knew it's not easy for new comers to build a life in a new place, I never expected finding a job could be “that” hard. During the first two weeks, I sort of submitted about 200 emails to apply for various accounting jobs without any response. I believed something was wrong but couldn’t figure out a solution to solve it. I therefore started looking for help online and noted “newcomer center” or something like that.

When I looked back, I would suggest all new comers to visit such a center. You won’t find a job there but you will get tons of help including resume revision, interview techniques, making friends, job fair, etc. etc. During the last two weeks of April, I received four interview calls, two of which were from KPMG.

I thought I could get a job in KPMG as the two calls brought me lots of hopes. I spent the first week of May in US again and waited for my first offer letter after I was back to Edmonton. However, I got a rejection email finally. The only thing that I could do was to look for job again. I was a little frustrated but tried my best to keep myself moving. Otherwise, I could be more and more frustrated.

Thank God who didn’t make my days too hard. Deloitte interviewed me twice during the last week of May and issued me an offer letter with a good relocation package in June. I finally moved to Calgary in September and my new life/new job begins since then. Before relocation, I went back to US again.

I guess most readers here are highly interested in job searching in Canada. I’m not familiar with other occupations than accounting or financial audit. However, as what I said every one of us needs to keep ourselves moving. Don’t spend too much time in front of TV or computer at home. Go to new comer center, university libraries, employment assistance office, English/French center, etc. to talk with others, to share experience with others, and to get to know your new living place. Migrating to Canada is a smart decision. Life will be always bright. Try to enjoy your life even before you find a job. Think about it – you will find a job anyway, but after you get a job you may not have much leisure time. ;D For instance myself, I work in Deloitte six days a week, longer than 12 hours every day.

I love my life in Canada, although I still cannot balance life and work. I’m very happy with my decision to go to Canada that I made two years ago and proud that I’ve been here for a year! ;)

Reactions: Noramoda

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
Great story. I'm sure this will encourage folks looking for work and settling in Canada.

jlrp

Mar 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-10-2011
Med's Request
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting

babbu.mann

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2012
Brampton-ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC-2011
LANDED..........
November 2012
gr8 story... I can't understand that why did you visit to us every now and then

pinakini2006

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
31-03-2011
IELTS Request
sent with the initial application
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-10-2011
Med's Done....
04-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
as per the astrological predictions, April 2012....
loveucanada said:
I can't believe that I've been here for almost a year! However, it's true. March 29 is my first anniversary. I'm not sure if I'm still a "new" immigrant after Mar 29. :) I would like to be counted as a Canadian, though.
I recalled on Mar 28, 2010 I landed at Edmonton, AB without any companies. All made me decide to fly to Edmonton is my positive expectation of the job market in Alberta. When I submitted my application to Buffalo CIC in Aug 2009, I applied as FSW - accountant (at that time accountant was an acceptable occupation). Since then I spent a little time searching for Canadian market and got (sort of) that Alberta has jobs. At the end of 2010, I landed in Toronto. Meantime, my status at CIC tracking ended with "You became to Permanent Resident of Canada on Dec 29, 2010." Toronto was my selected landing city on my application form but I decided to start in Alberta.

I only spent two nights in Toronto but got four important things done: 1) exchanging my US driver's license to Ontario (in Aug 2010 I went back to my country from US as I ran out of F1 term, and my license was expired in Oct 2010 -- However, as long as within 6 months since your US license gets expired, one can exchange a valid license in Canada. I therefore easily got Ontario Class 5); 2) getting SIN; 3) registering myself with medical insurance; and 4) opening a bank account and obtaining credit card and debit card. I am lucky. I don't have any relatives in Canada but have a friend in Toronto. I got a temporary license right away and the rest of cards/documentations were sent to my friend's within a month. In the very early morning, I said good-bye to Pearson and flew to US to visit my close friends. It was Dec 31, 2010. How happy I was!

April 8, 2011. I got snow in Edmonton. I was so surprised and even a little depressed. The depression is from snow and job hunting. Although I knew it's not easy for new comers to build a life in a new place, I never expected finding a job could be “that” hard. During the first two weeks, I sort of submitted about 200 emails to apply for various accounting jobs without any response. I believed something was wrong but couldn't figure out a solution to solve it. I therefore started looking for help online and noted “newcomer center” or something like that.

When I looked back, I would suggest all new comers to visit such a center. You won't find a job there but you will get tons of help including resume revision, interview techniques, making friends, job fair, etc. etc. During the last two weeks of April, I received four interview calls, two of which were from KPMG.

I thought I could get a job in KPMG as the two calls brought me lots of hopes. I spent the first week of May in US again and waited for my first offer letter after I was back to Edmonton. However, I got a rejection email finally. The only thing that I could do was to look for job again. I was a little frustrated but tried my best to keep myself moving. Otherwise, I could be more and more frustrated.

Thank God who didn't make my days too hard. Deloitte interviewed me twice during the last week of May and issued me an offer letter with a good relocation package in June. I finally moved to Calgary in September and my new life/new job begins since then. Before relocation, I went back to US again.

I guess most readers here are highly interested in job searching in Canada. I'm not familiar with other occupations than accounting or financial audit. However, as what I said every one of us needs to keep ourselves moving. Don't spend too much time in front of TV or computer at home. Go to new comer center, university libraries, employment assistance office, English/French center, etc. to talk with others, to share experience with others, and to get to know your new living place. Migrating to Canada is a smart decision. Life will be always bright. Try to enjoy your life even before you find a job. Think about it – you will find a job anyway, but after you get a job you may not have much leisure time. ;D For instance myself, I work in Deloitte six days a week, longer than 12 hours every day.

I love my life in Canada, although I still cannot balance life and work. I'm very happy with my decision to go to Canada that I made two years ago and proud that I've been here for a year! ;)
Hey Luvucanada,

Your post was very inspiring. I appreciate your perseverence. Could you please update me on the minimum qualifications the finance/audit job market in Canada requires. Is a professional qualification like CA, CWA, CPA or CIMA a must to land up in accounting jobs in Canada?! Your inputs would be very helpful to me as I am from the same stream and a quasi professional. Please suggest the academic pre requisites to land a job in Deloitte.

Thanks & Regards,

Pinakini. :)

loveucanada

Aug 12, 2010
Hey Luvucanada,

Your post was very inspiring. I appreciate your perseverence. Could you please update me on the minimum qualifications the finance/audit job market in Canada requires. Is a professional qualification like CA, CWA, CPA or CIMA a must to land up in accounting jobs in Canada?! Your inputs would be very helpful to me as I am from the same stream and a quasi professional. Please suggest the academic pre requisites to land a job in Deloitte.

Thanks & Regards,

Pinakini. :)
[/quote]

Hi Pinakini,

It's great to know that you're moving to Canada soon. Congratulation! Usually you're required to have CMA or CGA certificate if you look for a job in a private firm, and CA certificate if you apply for a public company. I have nothing but a US CPA license, which doesn’t help me to get a job in other place than accounting firm. I’m not sure how many years of experience you already gained from your country. The minimum experience requirement to apply for financial audit (“staff accountant”) in the big four is one year public accounting service experience. As long as you did work in this field in the past, you will get a job offer from any one of the big four. But you have to make sure that you can work for at least 60 hours a week and more in peak season (Dec – Apr). I hope this comment is helpful. Good luck!

marvik2011

May 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
09/04/2010
Med's Request
24/05/2012
Med's Done....
11/06/2012
Interview........
No no no
Passport Req..
20/07/2012
VISA ISSUED...
31/07/2012
LANDED..........
end of August 2012
Very impressive story!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

vinpar

Star Member
May 21, 2011
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2011
Doc's Request.
all sent with the initial file
Med's Request
cleared
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
Issued March
LANDED..........
May- June hopefully
loveucanada said:
Great story and inspiring..very good post. Good luck.

Olabisi2010

May 21, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An inspiring story from you there.....Thanks so much for this.

Continue to enjoy your life as a Canadian.

Cheers.

Olabisi

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
I work in Deloitte six days a week, longer than 12 hours every day.
work timings are that long in Canada?

V

vidya

Working hours are just the normal 8 hours. People work 12 hours to get 4 hours overtime.
Cost of living is quite high unless you have a higher salary to manage.

jomadassery

Feb 26, 2012
Cochin, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-03-2011
AOR Received.
13-05-2011
File Transfer...
13-05-2011
Med's Request
05-12-2011
Med's Done....
16-12-2011
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2012
LANDED..........
ASAP.............................
loveucanada said:

April 8, 2011. I got snow in Edmonton. I was so surprised and even a little depressed. The depression is from snow and job hunting. Although I knew it's not easy for new comers to build a life in a new place, I never expected finding a job could be “that” hard. During the first two weeks, I sort of submitted about 200 emails to apply for various accounting jobs without any response. I believed something was wrong but couldn't figure out a solution to solve it. I therefore started looking for help online and noted “newcomer center” or something like that.

When I looked back, I would suggest all new comers to visit such a center. You won't find a job there but you will get tons of help including resume revision, interview techniques, making friends, job fair, etc. etc. During the last two weeks of April, I received four interview calls, two of which were from KPMG.

Thank God who didn't make my days too hard. Deloitte interviewed me twice during the last week of May and issued me an offer letter with a good relocation package in June. I finally moved to Calgary in September and my new life/new job begins since then. Before relocation, I went back to US again.

I guess most readers here are highly interested in job searching in Canada. I'm not familiar with other occupations than accounting or financial audit. However, as what I said every one of us needs to keep ourselves moving. Don't spend too much time in front of TV or computer at home. Go to new comer center, university libraries, employment assistance office, English/French center, etc. to talk with others, to share experience with others, and to get to know your new living place. Migrating to Canada is a smart decision. Life will be always bright. Try to enjoy your life even before you find a job. Think about it – you will find a job anyway, but after you get a job you may not have much leisure time. ;D For instance myself, I work in Deloitte six days a week, longer than 12 hours every day.

I love my life in Canada, although I still cannot balance life and work. I'm very happy with my decision to go to Canada that I made two years ago and proud that I've been here for a year! ;)

Impressive............
thanks for sharing.....
great job................. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D