+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Landing appointment experience - Vancouver, BC

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I did my landing yesterday, so I just wanted to write about my experiences so others can get a view on the processes. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask below.

• I was a CEC-applicant - living in Canada since May 2017. I have no dependents, and am Single (as per the law at least).
  • on September 20 I received an e-mail, requesting me to attend an interview at the CIC office in Vancouver (1148 Hornby St) - this is usually considered to be a landing interview appointment, but certain applicants may also receive this request to establish spousal relationship (when sponsoring). CIC has started finalizing inland applications in this manner on a wide-scale to reduce the amount of flagpolers at borders, as it was putting a big strain on the CBSA. The waiting period seems to be about 4-6 weeks after file approval - you will not be able to flagpole instead.
  • The documents I was requested to bring included my passport, my current + expired work permit, proof of RPRF and two photos that met PR-specifications, one of which had to be stamped by the photographer.
  • Upon arrival at 1148 Hornby St, I found the doors locked - after knocking a few times, a security guard let me in and asked me to show my appointment letter (this CIC office is appointment-only). He took this letter, and went into some door and returned a few minutes later. The office is remarkably small - about double the size of a waiting room at a doctor's office. There were 3 counters/agents, and about 15 people waiting.
  • Due to the small size, you could actually overhear everything the Agents + applicants were saying (e.g. requesting their documents, asking questions, etc.). This calmed my nerves a bit as I saw most people breezing through their interviews - besides the guy that brought the wrong RPRF receipt; I bet he had a mini-mental breakdown on the spot when the agent told him his consultant sent him the wrong documents.
  • Every few minutes you would hear an Agent say the magic words "Welcome to Canada!", after which the person was allowed to leave and someone else would be called in. 40 minutes after my appointment time, it was finally my turn so I grabbed all my documents and went over.
  • The Agent explained to me that she would ask me some questions to which I only had to reply "Yes" or "No" - I should also let her finish her sentences first before responding. The questions included if I was still Single (not married/common-law partnership), if I had any dependents not already declared on my application and whether I had ever been deported from Canada. I answered Yes, No, No. She then asked for my first entry date into Canada (which I had to look up as I didn't remember exactly) and my last entry date, as well as their location (both YVR-Vancouver).
  • She then printed my COPR and asked me to verify all information on it. The only thing that was amiss was my City of Birth (which was missing the latter half) but she responded it was fine and the name was too long to be printed on the paper. She then signed the COPR in 4 places, and asked me to do the same. She then said "Welcome to Canada!", told me I would receive my PR card by mail, gave me a few helpful papers for new immigrants and told me I was good to go.
  • Afterwards, to obtain my new SIN number I went to the Service Canada in Vancouver, where I arrived at 4.03pm (they close doors at 4pm) and wasn't allowed in anymore.... The next day (today) I went to the one in Richmond first thing in the morning. A security guard first joked around saying I was in the wrong spot and it was "a 45m walk that way", but all went well and it took less than 5 minutes to get my number.
  • An important thing that I didn't know beforehand is that they immediately invalidate your old permit (in my case, my work permit). I'm not sure whether this could have implications on medical coverage, employment etc. if you don't get a new SIN number right away.
I already have been living in Canada (Vancouver) since May 2017, so I already have an apartment, job, bank account, Simcard, etc. Nonetheless, feel free to ask me about it and I will try my best to help :)

Last edited:

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
I wonder how it will work for someone who applied as FSW-O and moved to Canada on a work-permit after AOR.
Congratulations again!

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I wonder how it will work for someone who applied as FSW-O and moved to Canada on a work-permit after AOR.
Congratulations again!
Good point, I'm not sure. They haven't banned flagpoling completely though, although CBSA stopped allowing it at certain border crossings (on certain days). Whether you get an appointment or have to flagpole, the process should be relatively similar though besides some additional documents you may need to bring (e.g. Proof of Funds).

In Metro Vancouver, I recommend the Boundary Bay crossing at Tsawwassen/Point Roberts which usually has extremely little traffic.

linda85

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
20-06-2018
Doc's Request.
23-06-2018
AOR Received.
20-06-2018
Med's Done....
21-06-2018
I did my landing yesterday, so I just wanted to write about my experiences so others can get a view on the processes. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask below.

• I was a CEC-applicant - living in Canada since May 2017. I have no dependents, and am Single (as per the law at least).
  • on September 20 I received an e-mail, requesting me to attend an interview at the CIC office in Vancouver (1148 Hornby St) - this is usually considered to be a landing interview appointment, but certain applicants may also receive this request to establish spousal relationship (when sponsoring). CIC has started finalizing inland applications in this manner on a wide-scale to reduce the amount of flagpolers at borders, as it was putting a big strain on the CBSA. The waiting period seems to be about 4-6 weeks after file approval - you will not be able to flagpole instead.
  • The documents I was requested to bring included my passport, my current + expired work permit, proof of RPRF and two photos that met PR-specifications, one of which had to be stamped by the photographer.
  • Upon arrival at 1148 Hornby St, I found the doors locked - after knocking a few times, a security guard let me in and asked me to show my appointment letter (this CIC office is appointment-only). He took this letter, and went into some door and returned a few minutes later. The office is remarkably small - about double the size of a waiting room at a doctor's office. There were 3 counters/agents, and about 15 people waiting.
  • Due to the small size, you could actually overhear everything the Agents + applicants were saying (e.g. requesting their documents, asking questions, etc.). This calmed my nerves a bit as I saw most people breezing through their interviews - besides the guy that brought the wrong RPRF receipt; I bet he had a mini-mental breakdown on the spot when the agent told him his consultant sent him the wrong documents.
  • Every few minutes you would hear an Agent say the magic words "Welcome to Canada!", after which the person was allowed to leave and someone else would be called in. 40 minutes after my appointment time, it was finally my turn so I grabbed all my documents and went over.
  • The Agent explained to me that she would ask me some questions to which I only had to reply "Yes" or "No" - I should also let her finish her sentences first before responding. The questions included if I was still Single (not married/common-law partnership), if I had any dependents not already declared on my application and whether I had ever been deported from Canada. I answered Yes, No, No. She then asked for my first entry date into Canada (which I had to look up as I didn't remember exactly) and my last entry date, as well as their location (both YVR-Vancouver).
  • She then printed my COPR and asked me to verify all information on it. The only thing that was amiss was my City of Birth (which was missing the latter half) but she responded it was fine and the name was too long to be printed on the paper. She then signed the COPR in 4 places, and asked me to do the same. She then said "Welcome to Canada!", told me I would receive my PR card by mail, gave me a few helpful papers for new immigrants and told me I was good to go.
  • Afterwards, to obtain my new SIN number I went to the Service Canada in Vancouver, where I arrived at 4.03pm (they close doors at 4pm) and wasn't allowed in anymore.... The next day (today) I went to the one in Richmond first thing in the morning. A security guard first joked around saying I was in the wrong spot and it was "a 45m walk that way", but all went well and it took less than 5 minutes to get my number.
  • An important thing that I didn't know beforehand is that they immediately invalidate your old permit (in my case, my work permit). I'm not sure whether this could have implications on medical coverage, employment etc. if you don't get a new SIN number right away.
I already have been living in Canada (Vancouver) since May 2017, so I already have an apartment, job, bank account, Simcard, etc. Nonetheless, feel free to ask me about it and I will try my best to help :)
Congratulations on finally receiving PPR! Last step at least for now is to receive card...!!you must be over moon:)

Reactions: Bunny Thapar

INTamir

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Congrats again.
So, I assume they didn't even let you to ask any question beside answering their questions and correcting any wrong info or did you have the chance to ask about PRTD?

vish82

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018

Good luck and pleased for U

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Congrats again.
So, I assume they didn't even let you to ask any question beside answering their questions and correcting any wrong info or did you have the chance to ask about PRTD?
I was thinking of asking that question, but I knew the Service Canada was going to close at 4.00pm and I really didn't want to be late (which I did anyway). Someone else ahead of me asked the question, and the Agent gave a lengthy answer, but essentially said you should apply for it outside Canada. A local visa office (e.g. London, Bejing, Manila) will then process it and you will receive your PRTD pretty quick as there's no screening to be done. But from what I understand it definitely takes more than one or two days to obtain it, so short-duration travel seems to be a no-go until you get a PR card?

You're allowed to ask any question you want at the end of the interview.

Reactions: INTamir

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Good point, I'm not sure. They haven't banned flagpoling completely though, although CBSA stopped allowing it at certain border crossings (on certain days). Whether you get an appointment or have to flagpole, the process should be relatively similar though besides some additional documents you may need to bring (e.g. Proof of Funds).

In Metro Vancouver, I recommend the Boundary Bay crossing at Tsawwassen/Point Roberts which usually has extremely little traffic.
Concerning POF, do you think if my current job contract would suffice? This is one thing I am worried about because I used up a part of my original savings during relocation and establishment in Canada.

INTamir

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
I was thinking of asking that question, but I knew the Service Canada was going to close at 4.00pm and I really didn't want to be late (which I did anyway). Someone else ahead of me asked the question, and the Agent gave a lengthy answer, but essentially said you should apply for it outside Canada. A local visa office (e.g. London, Bejing, Manila) will then process it and you will receive your PRTD pretty quick as there's no screening to be done. But from what I understand it definitely takes more than one or two days to obtain it, so short-duration travel seems to be a no-go until you get a PR card?

You're allowed to ask any question you want at the end of the interview.
Thank you Vitesze. Yeah, as you said, a short trip is not a good idea after landing and waiting for PR Card. I hope things turn out to work perfect for me. The best scenario for me will be receiving an actual PPR email right before or during my vacation or getting a landing interview appointment after my vacation.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Concerning POF, do you think if my current job contract would suffice? This is one thing I am worried about because I used up a part of my original savings during relocation and establishment in Canada.
I'm confused - I assume you're a FSW-O applicant who will reside in Canada after AOR? What did you note down on your application when it asked you for proof of funds?

You need to show funds unless you are authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer. If you're employed in Canada but it's not a valid job offer, your job contract won't suffice for Proof of Funds. However, as far as I understand you don't need to update this Proof of Funds unless they specifically request it, which they don't really do, so your original Proof of Funds should be usable. It's not like CIC has access to all your bank accounts and knows exactly how much you have right now.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thank you Vitesze. Yeah, as you said, a short trip is not a good idea after landing and waiting for PR Card. I hope things turn out to work perfect for me. The best scenario for me will be receiving an actual PPR email right before or during my vacation or getting a landing interview appointment after my vacation.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for it :) You may have to ask yourself in-person during the interview - it's not like you can do anything about it until you actually become a PR anyway.

Reactions: INTamir

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018

Congratulations!
What did you have to show as a receipt for rprf?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I know it took you a while to get landing interview after ghost update, have you seen the same for other people?
Most Inland applicants seem to have a 2-3 week period between their file approval, and appointment email.