+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My kids were born in US, to a Canadian mother what do I need?

Jacy105

Dec 4, 2015
Hi,

I need some help regarding the application to my two daughters for Canadian citizenship. I already sent it out few months ago, now they request more information. Since I am Canadian, they are eligible for Canadian citizenship but I can't apply for the SIN card for them until I get the citizenship. So far, they live life normally, daycare, school wise except they are considered 'guests' until they get a Canadian certificate.

I am divorced with custody of the kids, and renting from my parents since I arrived three years ago.

On the letters they sent me they require on the children's birth certificate to have 'parent/child' relationship?
I was still married at the time, and theirs is in paper form so it should state I am the mother.

Also I was born in 1986 and they issued a card birth certificate back then, how do I tell them that's the only one I have or they need a paper form? How do I get that? I live in Vancouver.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jacy105 said:
Hi,

I need some help regarding the application to my two daughters for Canadian citizenship. I already sent it out few months ago, now they request more information. Since I am Canadian, they are eligible for Canadian citizenship but I can't apply for the SIN card for them until I get the citizenship. So far, they live life normally, daycare, school wise except they are considered 'guests' until they get a Canadian certificate.

I am divorced with custody of the kids, and renting from my parents since I arrived three years ago.

On the letters they sent me they require on the children's birth certificate to have 'parent/child' relationship?
I was still married at the time, and theirs is in paper form so it should state I am the mother.

Also I was born in 1986 and they issued a card birth certificate back then, how do I tell them that's the only one I have or they need a paper form? How do I get that? I live in Vancouver.
1. It appears that they want the long form birth certificate which shows the parents names.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jacy105 said:
Ok, so how about my birth certificate? it is in card form.

Thanks.
In most cases, what they want is a full birth certificate, not a card that just gives your name and place and date of birth. Full certificates (with parental information) are definitely required for your children. However, for you, they *may* accept a birth certificate card, because all you have to prove is that you were born in Canada. That's just a guess, though, so if you send the card and it's refused, it will delay the process.

You mention where you live, but not where you were born. If you were born in BC and want a full (parental information included) birth certificate, apply here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/vital-statistics/births-adoptions/births/birth-certificates However, the website does state that birth certificates issued before 2008 are still valid, and this would apparently include your card.